J.T. Padbury from Northampton

Hi.
On joining i see you wanted info on J T Padbury Livestock Haulier. I was driving for Padbury a long time. He had two Scanies 111. Two four wheel ridgeds. Three scanies Dog and Pups. Peter drove a 111 and i had one my self we used to run from Banbury cattle mkt to Marshalls in Kent with sheep most thursdays. I used to do cattle for Joe and Peter Green, I would like to say of Lawrence Padbury who run the firm after his father J T Padbury.
I drove for many haulage companies but Lawrence Padbury was the best boss i ever worked for, if a few more bosses were like him there would be a lot more happy drivers. If you would like to know more then please get in touch. Maurice.

jonto:
Here’s one, cant remember where I found it.

This Scani 143 was Padburys lates truck at the time. Peter had this one when new and i still had my 111. My 111 could not keep up with Peter but the time i spent driving my 111 was one of the best trucks on the road. Peter had a jack knife with the 143 on the M1 at Newport Pagnall a few months after he started driving it, The main thing is that Peter was ok and no more hurt.
Maurice.

I can remember Padburys coming to Scots Gap Market up in Northumberland. A Lad called Dave? was the regular driver of the C reg 112 Scania as i remember. Wish id carried a camera all those years ago when i was a boy. The sheep they loaded used to go down to an abbatoir in the Wellingborough area i think, most probably A.B.P. Dan

There is a good picture of an 80 wagon and drag belonging to them in Peter Davies’s Drawbar Outfits book.

Hi all

Has anyone managed to find any pics of any of JT Padburys Scanias?

Thanks

I used to work for padbury in the 90’s up until he went bust from being financed up to the eyeballs, uneconomical running abroad and bad management.
the newest trucks we had were daf 1900,2100 rigid and a 2300 drawbar that was driven by a guy called Mick all were on 88 e registration, the artics were all SCANIA 112 6x4 with a rear tag, the trailer picture above was a milmore and was horrid, it was to top heavy and had been over 4 times in its life,
Dave as mentioned above was David Cookson (rip) and yes padburys had the abp contract from, Scots gap, tow law, Hexham, Carlisle and Penrith all running back to Wellingborough.

I have been trying to track down any information available on J.T. Padbury Ltd who were based in Northampton

I remember them from years ago when they used to run down to the cattle markets in Cornwall with their red and green Scania tractor units and green trailers. Their livery was very similar to Armstrongs.

Anyway, does anyone know if Padburys are still in business? - I have searched on the net without success to find them.

Also does anyone have any pictures of their vehicles that they could post on here?

Thanks in advance

Sam

Padburys used to do a lot of work for a cattle dealer from Market Harborough area called Joe Green, which is why they were seen in the west country regularly, although we are now talking about some 20 years ago. The driver that did most of this work for a long time was a chap called Peter, but he moved on. Rumour in the west country was that Padburys gave up after taking a big hit when an abbatoir in East Anglia went under. I am sure that John Fuller of Kings Lynn bought one of the artics . A E Partridge from Morchard Bishop took on Joe Greens work after that, but they have long since given up livestock work .
regards Peter

Thank you for the information Peter. You dont happen to have any pictures of any of their trucks do you??

Sorry Sam, I was never one for cameras, I have few enough photos of my own trucks. I remember Padburys with Bedford KM’s in the 1970s and later they had Scania 80s and possibly a Bedford TM drawbar. Later they also had a Scania 83 4 wheel drawbar outfit that I am sure would have been seriously embarassed by a tape measure, given the length limits at the time. I can’t remember the drivers name, he was a great guy that also used to come to Devon regularly.

regards Peter

Peter,

What trucks do or did you operate?. Do you have any way of posting the images of your trucks that you have or had on here??

It is nice to find someone else that actually remembers Padburys!. Have spent ages trying to track them down

Sam

Hello Sam
Thanks for the interest, my father, the late John Coaker, ( not to be confused with John Coaker, still alive and trading as Walkes Transport at South Brent), started after the war with an old petrol engined Dodge this evolved into a diversification from farming, resulting in a small livestock and later also general haulage business that saw lorries reach the furthest corners of Europe and weekly runs to the far north of Scotland as well as the traditional local market and abbatoir work. Over the years we used most British makes, sometimes new but often ones of doubtful origion that had already had a good innings.
Istarted driving (legaly) in 1971,but needless to say I was not short of practice by then. However times change, I took on the business in1984 and whilst I no longer trade, I still hold an international operators licence, having a completely unblemished record, with out a single conviction or prohibition against me. A record I am proud of as my trucks were never in their first flush of use, and I think it has to be fair to say I expected every last mile out of them.
After the Foot & Mouth disaster in 2001, when mysmal herd of cows was murdered by MAFF, things werenever the same. I carried on doing mainly Fertiliser and straw for a while, then I decided it was time for early retirement and a easier option of selling soft drinks. Well you know what they say about diesel in the blood, nowadays when my back allows, the well known firm of W L Vallance Ltd allow me to play with an artic.
As I said before I was never one for photos, I do have a few , mostly from a box brownie, but alas I am the traditional luddite, lacking the technical knowhow to post them on the internet.

Thanks again for the interest, Peter

PS Livestock Hauliers are an endangered species, cherrish those few that are left.

Peter

Just a quick message to say thanks for all the information above.

Sam

Here’s one, cant remember where I found it.

I deleted this post because I posted it twice … sorry :frowning:

An old friend of mine Steve Jolley did some work for them for a few months, he drove a Scania wagon and drag and I went with him for a few trips to keep him awake (as sleep was the furthest thing from the drivers mind :laughing: ) I remember myself and another friend went with him to kent one saturday with both wagon and drag full of sheep, when we were offloading the trailer when one obstinate sheep would not come out, Steve ran in to chase it out, slipped and fell face first in 6 inch deep poop :astonished: Not one to be detered Steve just wiped the loose crap off his face and front of his overalls and carried on. On the trip home myself and the other companion had the window open and sat as far away as possible from Steve due to the stink… Nothing could deter this young driver :laughing: On the way back and feeling hungry we stopped for food at … THE LITTLE CHEF :astonished: :astonished:
We sat at a different table because the smell was unbearble and would you believe it :question: Even in his state Romeo Steve managed to book a date with the waitress who must have had all her sense of smell removed.