iveco turbostar

Bill you only had one for a week then you had a wendy house because you kept crying about the brakes
bit much from a old lamp whos had Transcon for so long
And yes Mark the V8 outshone most had a really early one once on a V plate ex Valefrieght done about 4 to the gallon 350 bhp

Hullo’
I remember when a Company just up the road from me in Pickering got quite a few of these Iveco’s. They were a really good motor, most especially going over the Moors to collect Steel from Whitby or Skininggrove, they pulled really well I believe. I think, I’m not too sure, that they had the first six wheeler 400/380 in the country.

Cheers, Archie.

pete 359:
hi,
when i see a turbostar pulling a bulker,i always think of the first one i ever saw,1984 on the north circular at hanger lane,mettallic blue,crofton-sleigh? bulk haulage from norfolk area?it’s easy to forget,but at that time,to my knowledge,they were at 480 hp,europe’s most powerful truck :sunglasses: .i saw this one,still working hard in august 2011 loading our cruise ship in italy.she sounded like a v8 and by the way the italian went through the box,i would say she had a fuller in her :sunglasses: .good to see yours,they are an iconic truck in my opinion.

I remember an article about them in one of the truck mags I think he had the first two in the uk they were left hookers and had the 420 v8. The guy was an ex middle east driver think he worked for trans uk and had only had fiats since then moved on to iveco.

newmercman:

f88vol:
does anybody know of any turbostars still going or restored or just rusting away in the corner of a yard. ive got a 190.48 restored only been to one show with her but wat a lot of attention she drew. anybody that speaks bout them say wow pulled well but shame bout cabs rotting away but well was i was lucky to find one with good cab

I see that you’ve put Eminox’s on, are they two single stacks, one out of each turbo, or do they go two into one into two? I had one and put chimneys on it, it had the two single stack set up, sounded lovely in a tunnel, but like a 4pot with a big miss from the driver’s seat, it was a flying machine though, I had a 520 Eurostar too, total animal of a lorry, very underrated and that big FIAT V8 would make mincemeat out of any Scania V8 :wink:

Oh BTW, that’s a cracking job you’ve done there, it looks sweet :wink:

she got twin eminox stacks one from each turbo with 5" inlets sounds real deep, does sound well and also got a v8 eurostar as well same set up but instead has 3" inlet pipes make it sound like a chinook all time overhead

Have a listen to this, sounds like a Chinook Helicopter, 13 speed Fuller box too, Proper Wagon!!
youtube.com/watch?v=jtUxhG26Jr4

Here’s a picture of my old one, you can just about make out the tip of the eminox if you look hard enough :wink:

I had a really good (bloody expensive) paintjob on it and never suffered with the dreaded tin worm in the few years I had it, it was worked hard too, 48 round trips to Rome a year, although this picture was taken in Germany :wink:

ETA: you can’t see the chimneys, but trust me, they’re on there :laughing:

I also had the nice bit of Engine Turned Aluminium with IVECO stamped into it as a splash guard thing on the top of each front mudguard, had the seat covers the same as the curtains and the padded vinyl bonnet cover too, all the bling from Campogalliano’s IVECO section :sunglasses:

Look a nice bit of kit Mark I used to bit a single Wassy on the right hand side of most of mine and twins on the v8s 480 allways had a deeper front bumper step and those horns in that spot nice one

jimbotruck:
Have a listen to this, sounds like a Chinook Helicopter, 13 speed Fuller box too, Proper Wagon!!

I had a “turbotech” 190/30 with a fuller 13 speed. That went really well and I loved the 'box (took some getting used to as a green 23 year old!). I always liked the V8 Turbostars but never had a chance in one. Saw plenty when on Italian work, very nice.

Regards,

Mark.

i saw these while in sicily this summer, i still think they look modern, i have never driven one but i would love the chance for a go

and this was in bulgaria at a music festival

It’s amazing how many of them and even older fiats you still see in Italy.

They don’t have an easy life in Italy either, my Italian is a bit rusty (no pun intended :laughing: ) but I’m sure the phrase “I think that’s enough weight on there” doesn’t exist :laughing:

Oh and I hate the new Italian number plates, the old ones were the best number plates anywhere, especially the tiny little ones you could get :sunglasses:

If I had a few spare quid I would have bought this a few weeks ago when I first spotted it, looks like it comes with the trailer and the cab looks to be in very good condition for a 1990 Iveco.

planet-trucks.com/used-tract … ndard.html

Ross.

Someone please buy this & put me out of my misery!!

bigr250:
If I had a few spare quid I would have bought this a few weeks ago when I first spotted it, looks like it comes with the trailer and the cab looks to be in very good condition for a 1990 Iveco.

planet-trucks.com/used-tract … ndard.html

Ross.

Someone please buy this & put me out of my misery!!

That’s a nice bit of plant, proper old rear steer trailer too, takes me back :wink:

jimbotruck:

That does sound nice you wouldn’t need a radio when you could listen to that.

How comes modern truck engines don’t sound as nice as that. Even the latest v8 scanias don’t sound as nice as a 143

kr79:
How comes modern truck engines don’t sound as nice as that. Even the latest v8 scanias don’t sound as nice as a 143

They have to pass a ‘drive by’ noise test and there’s no way a 480 Turbostar or 143 would come anywhere near the Euro 5 noise test:(

Ross.

What a sad world we live in.

kr79:
What a sad world we live in.

Only on that side of the pond Kev, my Pete has straight through pipes, The big dozer engine is not as nice a sound as a V8, but it sounds mental on the Jake Brake, just wish we had more tunnels :laughing:

Hopefully il find out one day. Haven’t cat and ■■■■■■■ pulled out of the truck Market now though?
I’m sure I read paccar are launching there own engine which is the daf one and the new actros engines are been used in freightliners.
I know what you mean about the Jake I had a foden 4465 with a ■■■■■■■ and Jake brake used to sound awesome in the dartford tunnel or blackwall tunnel :smiley:

newmercman:
They don’t have an easy life in Italy either, my Italian is a bit rusty (no pun intended :laughing: ) but I’m sure the phrase “I think that’s enough weight on there” doesn’t exist :laughing:

Oh and I hate the new Italian number plates, the old ones were the best number plates anywhere, especially the tiny little ones you could get :sunglasses:

Talking of Italian number plates why do there trailers have two different number plates on them?