Iveco Stralis

Out of interest, do Iveco Stralis’s deserve the rather poor reputation they have? Are they unreliable, or in some way defective or is it “badge snobbery”? What problems do people have operating them?

Newmercman rates them he had a few and he talks a bit of sense.

IVECO

It Vibrates, Everthing Comes Off

still applies

what sort of age are you looking at Harry?

there used to be a common problem with the electronics that controlled the engine and transmission, there were more holes in it that swiss cheese

I’t only idle curiosity, think I would go with Volvo or Daf because I know their ways, but would be 08/58 reg if I did buy one.

I am a driver for a large well known logistics operator where we run a fleet of 450 Straliss , in the main they have proved to be very very good trucks considering the hard live they have . They replaced Volvo FM 460 s with I shift which were a total disaster !!! , most of the bad press Straliss recieve is no doubt down to badge snobs , if I was an owner driver I would have no hesitation in purchasing a Iveco .

I can only speak as a driver having driven the old and new shape but we suffered more reliability issues than the Scania or Volvo units we had.
I had a clutch release bearing go, some air valve that left me with tanks that wouldn’t charge and the coiled pipe that came from the compressor split leaking air. One potentially big problem was the instrument computer. It would occasionally go mad telling me that all the bulbs had gone and all the fluids were too low. They never were but it was difficult trusting it after that and you had to tilt the cab to dip the oil. Reliability issues aside I love them. I’d have one tomorrow, the top bunk was really comfy and there was a set of buttons that controlled the windows, sunroof, night heater and blinds. Gearbox took a bit of getting used to especially if you wanted to nip out onto a roundabout but soon got used to it and grew to really like it. There is badge snobbery in my opinion, more fool them.

i ran one for 4 years on local tipper hauling sand was great truck was as reliable as any other truck and id say most people that slag them off have never drove them a great truck in my opinion

As Baby Seal says above ,I can only comment as a driver. At the Rdc i work in on the occasional Sunday they have a few 450 active3 Stralli(?) on hire,all 11plates.
I took one out a while back and the drivers door top hinge had been welded-it was a noisy ■■■■■■■■ Took one out a few weeks ago,top hinge going on it already-though whilst driving along heard a rattle from the nearside. Stopped to check it-found the entire nearside steps hanging off!
I know a trolly dolly gets a harder life than a one driver truck,but unless you are buying new-thats the gamble.

I love my iveco Stralis, well equipped reliable smooth powerfull and is as good to live in as any other Volvo or daf. I have had and driven most motors on the road and have to say for an all round package the iveco has it all.
Mine is on a full r and m package and whenever it has had to be serviced or had any work done the dealer has been very efficient.

Silverback
3 Feathers Haulage

My uncle hired a 57 plate stralis when he was an owner driver last year and it was a total disaster, the electrics were constant trouble, always things coming up on the display etc

AaronR

I was put off Iveco when I was a young lad I spoke to a driver of a Iveco on the boat about his and he said it was all way breaking down and had trouble so it put me off them :confused:

Hired an 06 stralis from hendys 3 years ago,at 300000 k’s it was falling apart, and this was a truck that had just come off a contract to be added to a main dealer rental fleet. It was an absolute disgrace and the dealers comment was what do you expect from a truck that,s done that mileage :question: :exclamation: Also the most uncomfortable truck i’ve driven since a seddon 200, and they were awful.

Also had warranty problems on parts after they took over seddon that needed rha legal to sort out, should have sorted that attitude problem by now but i’ll never go back to find out.

Legend_Scania:
I was put off Iveco when I was a young lad I spoke to a driver of a Iveco on the boat about his and he said it was all way breaking down and had trouble so it put me off them :confused:

There do seem to be mixed reviews so far, but when you say “a young lad”, how long ago are we talking about? Do you mean the Stralis or the Eurotech?

Never broke down, but constantly bringing up spurious warnings of bulb failure when nothing wrong, rattle and shake your fillings out.

Stupid, unbelievably stupid that you have to tilt the cab to put oil in, they drink it so its a regular PITA.

Worse application of the infamous auto box from hell that its been my misfortune to drive, even worse than MAN and DAF fitments and they’re bad enough, auto hill hold no use whatsoever, by the time the box has worked out what to do at a junction then taken up power again the auto hold has released.

Still a two year motor like its ancestors IMO, not a long termer.

Mines just over 6 months old and covered 80,000 k’s. I quite like it, the only problem I have is the random bulb warnings when all ok, the oil gauge always reads a bit less than the dipstick which is a pain under the cab. I use the top bunk and like the control panel that you can operate everything from your bed. If only they had spend a bit more on better quality materials when building it,

not a strallis but ive got a 02 plate eurotech and have encountered problems with the always mentioned main dealers one i will never use again absolutley pants never have any parts in stock and workshop is a clueless wagon came out worse than what it went in on the other hand another main dealer has had all parts in and are very helpfull when dealing with them parts pretty cheap too well compared to man anyway i would check out your local dealer before buying one heard a few horror stories had a few strallis as a cards in driver and cannot fault them clever cab for nights out very comfortable to drive and they go like stink interior isnt the strongest but if its your own your the only one in it looking after it

lee mat:
not a strallis but ive got a 02 plate eurotech and have encountered problems with the always mentioned main dealers one i will never use again absolutley pants never have any parts in stock and workshop is a clueless wagon came out worse than what it went in

To be honest, the worst main dealer I have ever encountered is a Volvo dealer…

As with everything, they’re ok when they’re new.

Build quality is their main problem, after 3 years, you’ll struggle to find a bit of plastic or a switch that isn’t broken in the cab, bit of an exaggeration but you get my drift, mine also leaked at the door seal in heavy rain, the windscreen wiper motor also failed in heavy rain, cheers. Threw a couple of injectors as well, don’t they all…, no major failures, just lots of small things, low rent.

You get what you pay for, if you can afford a Scania, you don’t buy an Iveco. The engines and gear box are alright. I’d still take a new one on a 3 year lease if it was cheap & as long as it wasn’t double shifted, no longer though, same with MAN’s.

ive been using one for a while now, not a bad truck at all. as said above lots of random warnings for no reason. the biggest problem is traction, the ones ive been using are 6x2 with no midlift and the traction is shocking :open_mouth: i dread to think what they are like in snow and ice but other than that they are a good truck that has come a long way since they were first introduced and they dont deserve the reputation they still have.

I had the same as Russell from new for 3 years and it was fine apart from a piston recall. nothing fell off, and it even got me Cornwall and back with a knackered piston! Wouldn’t hesitate to have another, the living space in the active space cab is brilliant.

I am here: tapatalk.com/map.php?islsdm