Iveco Stralis

russell2587:
Mines just over 6 months old and covered 80,000 k’s. I quite like it, the only problem I have is the random bulb warnings when all ok, the oil gauge always reads a bit less than the dipstick which is a pain under the cab. I use the top bunk and like the control panel that you can operate everything from your bed. If only they had spend a bit more on better quality materials when building it,

good job you work with some quality drivers that can sort your bulb warnings out for you, still had no major problems with my 60 plate and it’s just hit 250k !!

Longman.

jessicas dad:
ive been using one for a while now, not a bad truck at all. as said above lots of random warnings for no reason. the biggest problem is traction, the ones ive been using are 6x2 with no midlift and the traction is shocking :open_mouth: i dread to think what they are like in snow and ice but other than that they are a good truck that has come a long way since they were first introduced and they dont deserve the reputation they still have.

They’re crap in the snow, whoever decided to sell the twin stear with no mid lift wants shooting, they have no traction at all loaded light in the snow, trust me.

Best of all, the new one I had on 3 year lease, on the contract it said it was mid lift so when it went back they then tried to charge me about 5 grand to make it a mid lift. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Took about 3 months of phone calls and emails to sort that out. :unamused:

Longman5978:

russell2587:
Mines just over 6 months old and covered 80,000 k’s. I quite like it, the only problem I have is the random bulb warnings when all ok, the oil gauge always reads a bit less than the dipstick which is a pain under the cab. I use the top bunk and like the control panel that you can operate everything from your bed. If only they had spend a bit more on better quality materials when building it,

good job you work with some quality drivers that can sort your bulb warnings out for you, still had no major problems with my 60 plate and it’s just hit 250k !!

Longman.

came back about 5 mins down the road,

ive got a 500 active space had it for 2 yrs now and had less probs than the 500 actros mega i had from new …it pulls better ,better on fuel than the merc living space is great could do with contols on the botom bunk aswell as top to work everything the dealer let them down but there again gerard mann m/b at coventry were no better

I drive a 5 a/c and has nearly 6K on the clock and Harry it goes passed every thing loaded at 44t.
They are doubled and run 500 miles every day but like every thing you have to look after it
Would I get one YES and I am I going too YES. as the saying goes put your money were your mouth is,

had one for 2 years ,the only problem i had was as above all sorts of messages comming up,i used to leave boss a list every night and hed have to ring up next day to check what they all ment,in the end i think he started to doubt me so came with me[unanounced],by the time wed done 30 mile he said turn it round,well never get there,he was having kittens about all the messages comming up,but i reassured him that even though there was allsorts comming up on dash wed be fine,we were,
i loved the truck,it flew[i was on job and finish],it never broke down,was comfy,loads of room,just all the messages were worrying for a time,
i see were supposed to have some on demo i think,id be quite happy to have one,no problem at all
but,im a employee so if it did go wrong i wouldnt have to pay for repairs,would i buy one,no id go for the trucks that over the years have caused me no problems,just keep going,scania,but id guess theyd be quite a bit dearer.

The lorries are as good as anything else out there, the dealers are crap though :wink:

I did have bulb warnings at first, but using 10W bulbs in the back lights and trailers cured that, LEDs on trailers got the dash going mad, until I had a software update that sorted that.

I did have a turbo go wonky on my 05 when it was less than 6months old, they put a new turbo on, but never flushed out the oil and when they started it…BANG, a ventilated block :open_mouth: got a new lump in that and after threatening to chain myself naked to the railings outside Watford HQ, they paid for a my hire lorry while it was off the road (2nd time I did that, both times they paid up :laughing: )

Would I buy one if I was back there and running trucks again? Yes I would :wink:

newmercman:
I did have bulb warnings at first, but using 10W bulbs in the back lights and trailers cured that, LEDs on trailers got the dash going mad, until I had a software update that sorted that.

the LED’s don’t draw enough current, so the computer thinks the bulb has blown !

I’ve seen it happen on a friends Scania too !

This week I’m in a Volvo Globby xl but I’m really missing the space of a stralis although the Volvo mattress is the best I’ve ever slept on.

Funnily enough I never rated the Volvo mattress. Maybe they’ve changed but all the ones I’ve ever had have been spring-filled, I prefer the Daf foam mattresses.

Going off the idea of an Iveco now though, leaning back towards a Volvo.

This a 57 reg foam filled and better than the dafs.

russell2587:

Longman5978:

russell2587:

Longman.

came back about 5 mins down the road,

must be the way you drive. Lol

Longman.

Harry, you will get very mixed reviews whatever truck you go for, I bet if you put a post on asking advice on an FH12 you will get a similar mix. I think in this day and age most units are like for like, it just depends on what you like and what suits your needs. I went for my iveco because it suited me and my needs, in addition to this having a brand new one every 3 years on a full r and m package is a huge weight off my mind, in addition to this it works out a lot cheaper than going for an older Volvo or scania when you take into consideration maintenance.
I know exactly what I am going to pay each month regardless of what may go wrong with the truck.
I had a fuel pump go a couple of years ago, the dealer came out and it was fixed and I was back on the road within 2 hours, normally that would have cost a couple of grand or so when you include recovery, but as I have the full R and M no need to worry.
I have driven most units and as an overall package the iveco really makes sense

Silverback
3 Feathers Haulage

The above post sums it up really, when I bought my first brand new Stralis it cost me the same as a 3yr old 144-530 would’ve cost, the Scania is percieved to be the better motor and my own experience of owning a V8 Scania would back that up, but I chose to buy IVECO and was happy with the decision, just as I would’ve been had I bought 3yr old 144s instead :open_mouth:

In your case though Harry, I would give the Stralis a wide berth, the dealer network around your way is awful and if you’re unlucky enough to break down in Dagenham you would do better to push the thing to Norfolk Trucks at Enfield than let those Transit Van fitters in River Road come within a hundred yards of your lorry :unamused:

harry i use to have a 03 plate one, not driven the new ones, but mine was a 430 and to be honest was the best truck i’ve driven. i was lucky never had the electrical faults of the early one suffered from, and i went all over europe in the thing. it never once let me down so i must of been lucky. still trying to convince my boss to buy me one when my 470 scanny gets replaced later this year so we will have to wait and see. i think now there is not much to choose between any of the trucks on the market, they all have their good and bad points, and i am an ex mechanic so i do know a little about what i am saying. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: