Iveco Stralis

I had an agency job yesterday which brought me in contact with an Iveco Stralis. Now I have to admit I am an ardent Scania fan, they are built to last, Iveco’s I have always found to be lacking in the quality department. But never one to tar people or things with the same brush I thought I would give it a fair chance.

Below is a picture of it in it’s natural habitat - Bonnet up inthe workshop!!!

The reason for this - The windscreen wipers would not work!!! Not a major problem you would think, well it never used to be, change the fuse or the stalk switch would usualy cure it. Not any more, now you have to plug one of these in

So after this was plugged in and it told us that the switch was working but the ECU was not sending the signal to the wiper motor, so the fitter had to change the ECU unit, but there are 4 different types on the Stralis, and they only had one in stock - so a 25% chance of getting it right and low and behold they had the correct one, this took about 5 minutes to change over, but then alot longer to re-programme. All in all it took over 2 and a half hours to change it - so by now it was 10am, my 11.30 tip at Dartford was looking highly unlikely now…went back to yard and was told tip- was rebooked for 1pm, so hitched up container and off I went.

I have to admit that the last time I drove an automatic truck it was for Grundons, so was the old type of auto, when I got into the Stralis first thing I had to ask another driver how to use the gearbaox, he showed me the two buttons on the side of the stick, left one for neutral and the right one for semi or auto,and the lift ring for reverse, he told me that if I pressed the right one I culd change gear by pusing or pulling the lever back - Now why on earth would I want that? You don’t have a dog and bark yourself! If it has an automode then thats what it will stay in as far as I am concerned. Off I now trundle and I have to say I was very pleasently surprised - the gear change was superb, just press and go, it was a very pleasent and relaxing drive from Southampton to Dartford, even the traffic jams were not a problem, not having a clutch made the work so much easier. As for the interior - I was quite impressed again, the seat was comfy, everything ws close at hand, even the dash display was good. Was impressed to have the radio displayed on the dash. The buttons on the steering wheel made life easier as well.

Got to my tip at 13.45, straight on a bay and two and three quarter hours later I was tipped and on my way back. I was actually looking forward to the return drive and because of an accident closing the M3 at Basingstoke I decide to go A3 - A31 - M3. I was glad I did, not because of the traffic, but because I actually enjoyed the drive back, The Stralis was a pleasure to drive. I finally got back at about 19.30, I had spent nearly 12 hours with the Stralis and apart from our little fall out in the first couple of hours I throughly enjoyed the days drive. I have driven a wide variety of trucks, both new and old in the last 10 years of class 1 work, but none have made such an imression on me as the Strails, If only the interior build quality and the electrical reliability could be improved then I think the Stralis would be a clear leader.

I never thought I would say it but I am actually looking forward to my next drive in an Iveco - as long as it is the Strails. :wink: :wink:

i drive a 54 reg 480 with a manual box
its now on 135000kms working all kinds of roads throughout europe and its been no trouble whatsoever

This one was a 54 reg as well, Aparently it is the 2nd ECU it has had, and the fitter said he has done quite a few ECU replacements because the wipers stopped working!!!

Not being a fan of any automatic trucks, I was quite surprised when I drove a Stralis. The gearbox seemed to work fine and I didnt bother with the override and just let it think for itself.

Just seems weird reversing onto a bay or under a trailer :stuck_out_tongue:

Truck Electrics are all going the way you mentioned. I worked in a garage for a while and most electric problems are solved by replacing the module.

One bloke brought his people carrier in because the indicators were not working. The fitter plugged the computer in and told him to replace the Body Control Module. This gets all the electrical feeds from all over the car to drive things like interior lights, horns, lights and everything including central locking.

I used to call it a junction box, but now it is a BCM. The difference, = about £800

I think the stralis is an ok vehicle but can be a bit of a struggle when approaching roundabouts , it seems to almost fluff the gears for a few seconds and then has you in the roundabout with cars approaching and your in the wrong gear , i always get going on auto and then flick to semi for the rest of the drive .
Volvo i shift now thats a good auto box

Hmmm… are we all becoming Iveco fans on here now? :confused:
Seems like only the other day everyone was slagging them off! :laughing:
The Strails is a good tool, but lacks a heck of a lot of space when compared to the Eurostars.
I don’t care anymore anyway - the Dafs are coming!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

said it before nowt wrong with iveco,s.

paul@midway:
I think the stralis is an ok vehicle but can be a bit of a struggle when approaching roundabouts , it seems to almost fluff the gears for a few seconds and then has you in the roundabout with cars approaching and your in the wrong gear , i always get going on auto and then flick to semi for the rest of the drive .
Volvo i shift now thats a good auto box

I found it only fluffed the gears if you put your foot hard down, Essentially it was the equvelent of a kick down on a car, but in the middle of the roundabout it would change up then backdown again if you floored it, so I just put it 3/4 of the way down and it seemed fine.

im actully a big fan of iveco stralis and the eurostar i like them both cracking trucks and if i went to a job and was given one tomorrow i’d be chuffed.

p.s as long as the eurostar was automatic.

Hmmm… are we all becoming Iveco fans on here now?
Seems like only the other day everyone was slagging them off!
The Strails is a good tool, but lacks a heck of a lot of space when compared to the Eurostars.
I don’t care anymore anyway - the Dafs are coming!!

Hardly Ian, I only mentioned that the auto gearbox was ok :smiley:

Its like the choice between having mumps or crabs.

At least you only get mumps once :laughing:

Can someone back into ians ever so comical signpost, it wont fit my cheap pc screen :stuck_out_tongue:

its hard to get excited about the stralis, & thats coming from a driver who drives DAF 85 CF 380. one driver had to top up the oil,& that means tilting the cab, all well & good but a gust of wind cought it & bent the ram enough for it not to come back down, luckily he was in the yard & took another unit. We had another exsample that when the cab was up the electrics that operate the tilting mechanism failed& couldnt get the cab back down.
When one light on the dash comes on ,all the other lights join in giving you your own private disco ,impressive eh?The park brake is unreliable, weve had 3 run away, luckily no body was hurt, but thats all it was… LUCK !
As for truck of the year, the judges must have been looking at some thing else at the time.! I`ll keep the DAF thanks.

mr misery:
When one light on the dash comes on ,all the other lights join in giving you your own private disco ,impressive eh?

:laughing: :laughing:

I don’t care anymore anyway - the Dafs are coming!!

So even your going off them too then Ian. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You all know how I feel about Ivecos in general and Stralises (Strali?) in particular…it seems that mine has missed me too - it’s blown up twice (turbo) and been rebuilt (engine) since I went on leave… :blush: :blush: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I still don’t know whether I’ll get her back in 3 weeks time… :cry: …but the upside to it’s breakdowns is that the bloke who’s now driving it (Mick) hates it so much (mileage pay and breakdowns don’t mix) that now we’re BOTH on Lol’s case to make sure I do. :sunglasses:

Kitty - not going off them really, just updating the fleet.
Anyway, I’d like to keep my white Y reg if poss, 'cos its a good motor.
Theres only been one major fault on it since I’ve had it, and we all know about that don’t we?
The offending item was removed, and no more problems.
The vans are good as well - one downside is the size of the fuel tanks - a few miles down the road and you need to fill up again! :open_mouth:

Wheel Nut:
Can someone back into ians ever so comical signpost, it wont fit my cheap pc screen :stuck_out_tongue:

Buy a decent monitor then ya tight wad!! :laughing:
You Scottish or summat? :laughing:

ianyng:

Wheel Nut:

Buy a decent monitor then ya tight wad!! :laughing:
You Scottish or summat? :laughing:

Not Scottish, Yorkshire :stuck_out_tongue: We taught the Scots tightness :stuck_out_tongue:

The Iveco Stralis is a great motor when you’re driving it solo, couple up to a 30-odd tonne trailer and its a bag of ■■■■!

However, I found ianyng’s sticker quite amusing, they can be purchased from here:

http://www.hollographics.com/stickers/window_stickers/speed_camera.html

I like the engine in the Stralis and I think they are comfy enough, pity about the build and electrics.

Only driven one once and it broke down - dodgy electrical problem. And Iveco breakdown were rubbish.

But given the choice, I’ll stick with me Volvo!

Even Volvo aren’t that good - just ask Maureen…ermm I mean NSH… :laughing: