Iveco Stralis

brummie:
The Iveco Stralis is a great motor when you’re driving it solo, couple up to a 30-odd tonne trailer and its a bag of [zb]!

I would disagree there given the choice of our fleet i would take the volvo first its a better box and bigger engine , but the stralis would be my second choice for pulling weight . Third and last the truck you want to poke pointy sticks at is an MAN tga 410 fitted with a"i dont know what gear to be in auto box "
That box is terrible … and with weight it makes it even more “fun”

worked a few Years by IVECO in Garages.
At that Time was Mqagirus Deitz,Fiat and Unic seperat Truck-builder.
Fiat and Lancia Trucks run with seven and eight Axles to carry Weight as each Policeman would do you today in Prison without Trail.
Magirus Deutz was after Tatra the best Tipper and off-Road Truck
and UNIC the first with Retarder on 340Bhp Engines at 1972 when MAN and Merc still run with 240Bhp

i hate to tell you first time stralis drivers this but you shouldn’t drive it in auto the first time you drive it.
the stralis autobox (unlike other autoboxes) has a unique brain in it, this brain requires your input in manual so it can learn how you want it to drive in auto mode.
if you have a stralis from new it will use every gear whilst in auto mode, you have to teach it how to bloc change etc.
if you have a stralis off another driver it will drive how he/she wanted it to drive (provided they drove it in manual mode for a couple of days).
no 2 vehicles should ever drive the same (unless the same driver has driven them in manual mode).
the reason that one of the vehicles above has had a problem picking a gear on a traffic island might be due to lack of teaching of the box.
i found them to be technically advanced from most other trucks when they came out in 2002 (i think it was). the whole idea of a gearbox that the driver had to train astounded me but i also found it appealing too.
i did find a few faults with the trucks though.
lack of a rubber mat in the middle (although this could be remedied by a driver). the curtains didn’t quite meet properly to the blind for the screen at night, there wasn’t enough curtain meaning that drivers had to tug a little to get it right.
the night lights were not bright enough.
the tv table was the opposite side from the 12volt socket on the back wall.
there were a couple of other things too but a felt that the technical side of the iveco was an award winner and had the stralis come on the market at the same time as the r series scania then the stralis (in my opinion) would have still drove away as truck of the year.

I drove a Stralis recently and also found it very comfortable, particularly as regards lateral stability (in the seat).

It did seem very slow getting away into roundabouts, but a Johny explains, this may be because of the way it was driven from new. With the load(s) I was pulling it was selecting 3rd to move off and so I simply changed to semi-auto and nudged it up a gear, which helped.

I especially liked the feature where, after removing keys, you can knock the power back on for the radio and windows.

On the other hand, I had an “R” series the other day. I couldn’t get the seat high enough to get my feet flat on the floor, and neither could I stretch my legs out. It was one of those 9+ hours driving days and at the end of it I felt like I’d been sitting on a toilet all day. Terrible. The gear lever could also be about 3" shorter.

The gap between the nearside mirror and the A post is too small. Easy to ‘lose’ a car or motor cyclist when turning right into a main road. And the A post seems bulkier than on the 4 series.

One good point is that the Hazards switch is now by the door, with the bonnet release actually within the driver’s door aperture. Perhaps someone from Scania did take note of posts a couple of years ago regarding layout design and vehicle checks. (What is the point of having to climb into a vehicle to switch everything on, only to then have to climb out again?). But why have they attached the quarter panels to the bonnet? I walked round and nearly banged my head on one. And being one of the most frequent body panels to be replaced, this arrangement will be costlier to repair.

The switches for the ancillary lights are hidden behind the steering wheel and I NEVER did manage to work out either the heating or air conditioning controls.

The configuration of the cruise control switch baffled me somewhat. A double-action rocker switch set into the lower portion of thesteering wheel. Press top to set or increase speed. Bottom to reduce speed. - reasonably logical. Right side to disengage, left side to Resume.

Surely it would have worked better when thought of as a light switch and the relation of pedal configurations.

Press the top for Off. The bottom for Resume, Right to Set/Increse (as per accelerator pedal. Left to Reduce speed. (Brake pedal being left of accelerator). - Except, of course, some Countries operate their domestic light switches the opposite way to ours.

In the dark, the outline of other dash mounted switches merged into the background. Instead of being able to locate the outline and ‘feel’ the switch, I was forced to identify the symbol and then ‘stab’ at it whilst hoping the vehicle did not hit a bump in the road.

The action of the indicator switch was very smooth, engineered rather than just sprung plastic keeping it on, although I did find that the self-cancelling came into effect too early which meant that minor corrections of the steering resulted in the stalk having to be re-engaged.

Overall - not impressed.

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Interesting about the box … our stalis’s get driven by every man and his dog , whilst some block change , some use every gear possible which is bloody annoying , and yes it would explain fluffing gears at an island …

I was told about teaching the gearbox but assumed it was another myth. We have got two Stralis’s and the gearchange is a lot different. The better one was driven from new by the bloke who told me about the gearbox. There are ways to get over the stutter at junctions. One way is down to the way you approach the junction or roundabout… Run up to the roundabout and take the last few feet slowly press gently on the accelerator gently and it will change down, if the roundabout is clear it will take away smoothly. Takes a bit of practice but it can work well.
Another thing I like is the electric sunblind fully adjustable to whatever height you want and it goes right across the screen so there are no gaps and you can cover the left side at the same time.

Does anyone know how to turn off doors auto locking on Iveco Stralis arctic, 67 plates?

Comparing the new S Way about which there has been a lot of glowing publicity, to the older model Hi Way, and all the marks go to the older version. The S Way may look more ‘trendy’ to those who worry about such things but in the nitty gritty of what matters the Hi Way is better. I only drive either occasionally but this past few months it has been a little more frequent. Both have abysmal interior lighting, you need a torch to find the switches to turn them on or leave the door open. The regular driver of the Hi Way hates the seat in the other one, I am indifferent. The S Way steering wheel is clearly designed for those who like a Formula One driving position, it is most uncomfortable to hold in the more horizontal sitting- over- the -wheel old fashioned style; the spokes are too wide to hold at quarter to three, ten to two needs the seat too far forward and ten to four doesn’t quite work creating a pain in the shoulders and neck.

These are 4x2 units, I am the only one to drive with any real weight on when they take a trailer for brake test so grossing around 32 tons (tandems) The weight makes a little difference but they both throw you around; just a little less violently when heavy; we have some pretty rough roads locally and some right turns at traffic lights how up just show bad the ride really is; the old CFs we had were so much better. The gearbox in both has the same habit of refusing to allow you to pull away empty in 4th unless it decides otherwise just to surprise you. Its selection of what comes next and how many revs is in the lap of the Gods. 3, then 5 or 6 with hardly any revs, followed by 8, 9 or 10 doesn’t get you moving . Both will suddenly revert to manual with no driver input at all at a junction simply because it is a Wednesday, and refuse any attempt to revert to auto without coming to a halt and switching off.

As for the mirrors: well, these are narrow three step cabs, the Hi Way is not too bad I suppose, because the lenses are a different shape and the mounting points in a different place. The S Way on the other hand needs failing at MOT for lack of ‘adequate view’ to the rear nearside. Abysmal, awful, pathetic, far, far worse than a (P cab ?) 4 series Scania with a fridge on - and these are curtainsiders. You cannot see along the nearside of the trailer when in a straight line without leaning right back and then over to the nearside. The problem is with the arms being either too short or wrongly mounted, they are probably fine on a full width cab, but Iveco aren’t listening. I can’t say what the temporary fix has been to make a slight difference. A salesman came out to do a test drive with that fix in place, chickened out of a reverse requiring use of the nearside mirror to park about three feet away from a trailer on that side, and then declared everything OK !

This is a shame because this new model is actually a chance to throw off the poor relation image.

The latest cab designs in some makes are too concerned with image and looks, mirrors in particular being moved further back and since doing so getting covered in road filth rapidly and where you now have to move your head more to see in both, where the previous model wasn’t broke but apparently needed fixing :unamused:
To ‘encourage’ the take up of rear view cameras as an option?

Regarding Stralis haven’t driven one since 2009, my lasting memories of that being the worse installation of arsetronic its been my misfortune to drive, indecision at junctions so poor that hill hold would release before the vehicle would resume driving, and having to tilt the cab to put oil in, which it drank probably because no one bar me could be arsed to top it up so the engine was often run low on oil encouraging rapid wear making the problem ever worse.
On the other hand once rolling it went very well, given a decent manual box and an under grill oil filler i’d have been happy in one.

If I see out rental strallis in the yard,of a morning…I ask for it.
The ride is rolls royce like,compared to our all merc fleet.
No stupid auto windscreen wipers…which don’t work for fine drizzle.
And a cruise control that changes speed by 1kmh per input.
Not 0.3…like mercedes :unamused:
Radio gets a reception when I have my phone on charge(some mercs do some mercs don’t)
And warning lights are displayed discreetly,instead of lighting the whole display up thus taking the speedo off.
Yep…you can use the analog speedo…but tiny dark grey numbers on a black background…really?

What a truly ■■■■ auto maker mercedes benz are.

Holy moly . See the date of this thread batman !!

Is this what the o/p means ?
It’s easily altered in settings then vehicle .