Iveco or Renault Premium

I am being offered a blinding deal on a new Iveco, contract hire, or for about £40 more a week I can rent a Renault Premium that’s under a year old. This will be our first venture into this field because we run 26 tonne rigids so I could do with drawing on your experiences. From what I understand the Renault is superior on fuel which considering the mileage it’ll cover on a weekly basis might mean that I end up a lot better in the long run. However I’ve heard from a couple of ‘biased’ people that the Iveco will be better to live in all week in terms of driving, comfort and space?
Can anyone offer any advise?? Cheers all…

If its only going to be used by one driver is only, then the Stralis would be my choice. Loads of room and plenty of pulling power. No use as a fleet or in a multi driver operation though. It will fall apart in front of your eyes. Also might not have a midlift axle if its a 6x2 you are after.

The Renault is a much better built truck and better to drive with its Volvo based driveline. Should stand up to more a bit more rough and tumble without falling apart. Enough room in it for the occasional night out.

Just my opinion on both trucks as a driver, so never really payed much attention to fuel economy. I drive a Renault just now but would go back to a Stralis without hesitation.

I have both albeit now knocking on for then years old, a Stralis 430 and Premium 420dci. The Stralis is better on fuel and vastly superior as a truck to live in it is not at all good if you venture anywhere with poor traction though.

The Stralis interior will fall apart if exposed to ham-fisted drivers. A side issue if you do your own repairs but would be expensive if you had to use a dealer. Iveco dealers on average are poor compared to Renault (or anything) some will not see a heavy truck that often and the ones that do will be mostly Eurocargos rather than Stralis. I would say on average Iveco parts can be sourced more cheaply than Renault.

The premium is over rated and the stralis is very much under rated in my opinion.

The OP is missing the information of which Stralis cab it is. The big cab is great, the bottom end one is like a go kart to drive and not even wide enough to lie down on the bed in !

Will it be the new model stralis? If yes then its a no brainer, seems they’ve improved it a fair bit.

Stralis are ok if they’re new anyway, get shot after two or three years though.

I couldn’t have second hand if I could have a cheaper new, can’t beat new really. Just make sure the middle axle lifts if its a 6x2 as you won’t be going anywhere in the snow if it doesn’t.

Get both, drive the Renault and sleep in the iveco job done

Forget both…get a Daf superspace…Iveco very tacky, the Renault wouldnt pull ya coat out the wardrobe, :sunglasses:

iveco by far i am a fitter for a haulage company who run renault premiums all the 11 plates are always at renault with faults gearbox, engine ,electrical faults some 60 plates been back for oil pressure probs even some of the 62 plateshave had problems

Both will leave you stranded at the roadside, so which has the best/quickest dealer support.

andy best:
iveco by far i am a fitter for a haulage company who run renault premiums all the 11 plates are always at renault with faults gearbox, engine ,electrical faults some 60 plates been back for oil pressure probs even some of the 62 plateshave had problems

our lot run all ivecos and would say the same :laughing:
go for the one that you like :wink:

shytalk:
Forget both…get a Daf superspace…Iveco very tacky, the Renault wouldnt pull ya coat out the wardrobe, :sunglasses:

+1

Get a quote on a DAF SSC. Your driver will thank you for it, if you go for one.

Dont get a renault premium very little room inside if your out all week in it there a crap truck

That’s great, thank you for all your comments, it seems that the Iveco is a worthy consideration although by the sounds of it so is a DAF. Back to the drawing board, cheers once again guys…

ThrustMaster:
Both will leave you stranded at the roadside, so which has the best/quickest dealer support.

Ahem! Yes, this ^^^^^^

You have a difficult choice as both trucks are pretty poor compared with some of the competition. Maybe have a look at some of the other options?

Truckulent:

ThrustMaster:

Ahem! Yes, this ^^^^^^

You have a difficult choice as both trucks are pretty poor compared with some of the competition. Maybe have a look at some of the other options?

What particular brand related mechanical problems are either of you experiencing causing roadside breakdowns?

Iveco=

It
Vibrates
Everything
Comes
Off

Ken.

whilst the premium hasn’t got the biggest cab in the world, it’s plenty big enough for kipping in on a regular basis.

no contest,Renault every time. :smiley:

You should at least get a quote from DAF & MAN as they will more than likely be similar money. I’d say people have good & bad to say mechanically about each of your 4 options.

I’d just basically look at price and personal preference from the driving experience (i’m sure each will allow a test drive) & room in the cab to make my decision, along with which dealer is nearer if you’re getting them to do your 6 weekly’s.