Isuzu or Fuso?

We run a 51 plate 7.5tonner that’s almost life expired. Yes it’s rough to drive and suspension
is almost non existant but it has a good payload and does little mileage, and is very manoeuvrable.
Anyway boss is looking at buying either an Isuzu or a Fuso as a replacement. Anyone used the Isuzu “Easyshift” or any other opinions on either make appreciated. Ta.

What sort of work are they going to be used for? I’ve driven a Fuso & think they are god awful contraptions, uncomfortable cramped cab with car handbrake. I suppose they are a decent enough tool for a shortish driver on local run around work with light loads, but not a lot else.

Get a DAF LF or Iveco Eurocargo.

A company I work for has two 6 month old Isuzu. 1 has been in the workshop 4 times already and I’m told needs a new wiring loom.

I’ve tramped in a Isuzu with a sleeper box. It was great. Handled like a go-kart, took a massive beating but kept ticking but it is cheap and the interior reflects that.

We have a Easyshift at our place and it’s by far the worst thing I’ve driven! Such a harsh ride its unreal!

rob22888:
What sort of work are they going to be used for?

Get a DAF LF or Iveco Eurocargo.

Delivering sand and gravel, no more than 15 miles from base. Daf and Iveco are too heavy, even with alloy body they’d only carry just over 3t at Euro 6. We get 4t on our Isuzu tipper with alloy dropsides and steel floor. I agree the cabs are poor but we rarely have it running a full day, in the winter time it barely turns a wheel in a week (with the good weather and Easter approaching small domestic loads are getting busier).

My boss is also thinking of getting one of these mainly because it will carry 4000kgs.

I have had the experience of driving a 7.5Tonne 190 hp Isuzu easyshift.

When stationary,i found that I instinctively pulled my hat down to avoid recognition.

Can’t remember now but avoid the one with hydraulic brakes and the car derived hand brake neither of them work well .

God awful horrible things.

eagerbeaver:
I have had the experience of driving a 7.5Tonne 190 hp Isuzu easyshift.

When stationary,i found that I instinctively pulled my hat down to avoid recognition.

I don’t get why anyone would be embarassed by a lorry (unless they can’t drive it). It’s a tool for the job at the end of the day. Yes Isuzus will never have all the crap stuck to them and shown at Truckfest, but to shift stuff from A to B with nobody caring if it doesn’t have swirly bird dropping graphics blocking the side windows then they’re fine.

Dan Punchard:
Can’t remember now but avoid the one with hydraulic brakes and the car derived hand brake neither of them work well .

That’s both then :smiley:

Driven both and would say the Izusu over Mitsubishi cause Iv used them more/longer.

But I wouldn’t buy them with my own money. Rather an iveco,daf or a merc just nicer trucks all round.

Also my current Izusu since I hit 100k (around 18months old aswell) nothing but problems and now at 135k she’s undergoing an engine rebuild after I smoked out the A34 at Milton a few weeks ago :grimacing:

Get a 10 or 12 tonne gross, better quality HGV based vehicle, not a desperately under powered van based piece of junk…

Better payload, not much bigger and well up to the job. Drop side body for pallets if required. Removable sides is another option to have a little flatbed…

With the right spec you will get more versatility and far more profit with a little 'un than you will with a big 'un… :wink:

Piston broke:
With the right spec you will get more versatility and far more profit with a little 'un than you will with a big 'un… :wink:

Very true. I did 3 deliveries and 8 muckaways yesterday and turned over as much if not more than our 8wheeler. I’ve suggester an Isuzu 11tonner but some of the places around Woodstock are tight even with a 7.5tonner.

have driven both and wouldnt touch the fuso with a thousand foot barge pole cheap shoddy piece of crap with evil nye on dangerous handling when loaded
have an isuzu curtain sider as my daily driver payload is 3.1t with a tail lift we regulay run close to that and have had few problems handles well stops goes does everything we ask of it very good at manouvering in tight spaces gets in and out of a lot of places where we would struggle with a "proper " 7.5t range is a bit limited due to small tank but other than that its fine .just gone over 325k only needed anew clutch and front discs in the last year like i say both cheap n cheerfull but you gets what you pay for oh mines a manual not driven the auto isuzu yet so cant give an opinion drove both manual and auto fusos and they were both awfull just my opinion make of it what you will

Why not go for one with a paper chassis then you could get all 7.5tonnes on it as payload!

Muckaway:
I don’t get why anyone would be embarassed by a lorry (unless they can’t drive it). It’s a tool for the job at the end of the day.

When some kid makes the universal sign for honk the horn and you’re driving an axor and all that comes out is a beep beep. That is pretty embarrassing :blush:

Is there any particular reason you need a 7.5 tonner? Weight limits on roads near you?

I had the misfortune of having a Mitsi Fighter while the Scania was being put back together after the owner found it couldn’t shift a railway bridge, no matter how fast he drove at it :unamused:

What a piece of £*&%@ ! No grunt, uncomfortable, no grunt, brakes were 'orrible, did I say no grunt ?