Is trucking a good job?

hi…i am a 34 year old, and currently work as a vehicle technician for a main dealer. i am at master tech level with 17 years experiance and my wage is £10
per hour…i get hassle from customers, hassle from other mechanics
and the job is getting more and more computurised.
had a medical 5 years ago, passed my theory and had a trial lesson, wow…
it was great. need to know if it is worth paying for myself to pass test?
and is it as good or bad as people say on here?

You’ll be lucky to get £10 an hour and you’ll probably still get hassle.

That said driving lorries is about 100 different jobs, it’s very varied.

I don’t regret it, but finding a decent job is hard.

neil2636:
hi…i am a 34 year old, and currently work as a vehicle technician for a main dealer. i am at master tech level with 17 years experiance and my wage is £10

Sent you a PM (Private Message)

neil2636:

It probably can be one of the best jobs and one of the worst at times :laughing: give it a go you can always go back to the mechanic work or set up on your own and use the hgv license as a backup if you get quiet.

Also gotta remember regional variations, some areas desperate for drivers you can walk in and outta jobs get quite good money.

Other areas not so much and wages lower. So guess you really need to find out about the area you live in is there much work and whats the average pay in your area.

your best bet would may-be do your class2,work as a part-time driver,if hunky dory then take your class1,again do-it part time for a while then apply for some full-time positions because un-less you can afford a massive pay-cut it be financial suicide’to jack a decent paid job no-matter how much you hate it :slight_smile:

Andyroo:
I don’t regret it, but finding a decent job is hard.

especially when you dont know what type of work suits you
(trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25193)

personally i love it. im not a people person so it suits me not having to work around people all day. i get to travel around seeing the scenery and get paid for it. you get a huge amount of satisfaction when you successfully complete a tricky manouvre. despite what some might say, there is job satisfaction to be gained, especially on multi drop when you are running around all day. when you get everything off, you KNOW you have grafted and achieved. i doubt there are many other jobs with the same pay for so much variation with entry level qualifications ie excluding HIAB, ADR etc. getting a class 1 licence opens up a whole world of different types of work

Id recommend it, and I love the job!!!

I have not been driving for just over a month now :frowning: as i am awaiting my wagon to arrive but i cant wait to get back driving again
however this time its slightly different for me. …

Depends what you want from life personally I love drivin ( have done other jobs )

If you like your own company for hours or days then fine, you still get hassel sometimes from the TM ( Transport Manager) and or customers ect but I never worry about that

As has been said before you will take a pay cut and there are regional varioations in jobs pay ect with drivin you have to find what suite you

why not give it a go at least you will have a lgv licence and u can always go further in the vehicle tech like lgv tech or something simalar if you dont like the truck driving.
At first you could always do the odd weekend with a local company.