is it worth it

is it worth becoming a trucker becuase the pay is not that good but i realy want to be one what should i do?

wages are bad but i would say it depends where and what you do to what the wages you get will be

How long is a piece of string. There are lots of “trucking jobs” from bin lorrys to trans continental artic work. The pay is also varied depending on what the job involves.

On average though assuming you currently have no HGV licence now, expect to pay around at least £1000 to get your licence which will take at least six months (This take into account getting medicals, wait for the DVLA to arrange your theroy test etc, etc).

If / when you pass you will find very hard to get a job at the moment especially as a “newbie”. hopefully this will change when the economy picks up, but I’d expect that not to be for at least 12 months.
I’d say average pay for Class 2 work is from £7-9 an hour depending on what part of the UK you are.
Summing up though I’d say the money is probably 25% better than an unskilled job on a production line for instance. It also usually a lot more interesting.
Once you got your Class 2 licence you can of course go for your class 1, though again expect this to cost another £800. The pay is usually £1-2 Ph better.

Of course you may find you hate “lorrying” but again that can apply to any career. you could spend six years training to be a Doctor & find you cant stand the sight of blood.
I’ve met a lot of truckers who’ve got skilled qualifications in other lines of work, but have either found there is no longer any work available in their particular line of work or quite often they’ve found trucking pays almost as well, but is a more enjoyable way of earning a crust.

As with any change in career it usually a case of “■■■■ it & see”. i would add though if your currently out of work or short on cash, then I wouldn’t invest in getting your HGV licence at the moment.
As I said earlier HGV jobs are v. limited at the moment (check out the “out of work club” thread).

I would say it depends why you want to do it.

If you have always wanted to get the LGV licences then go for it :smiley:

If you want them for a job NOW then think again :unamused:

If you want them as an investment for the future - go for it :smiley:

If you want them for the promise of high wages then think again :unamused:

Why do you want them :question:

It amazes me how people always think the money is bad, we’re not rocket scientists or doctors. I take home about £2400 a month, a lot considering to be qualified for this job I did a massive 2 weeks training!

switchlogic:
It amazes me how people always think the money is bad, we’re not rocket scientists or doctors. I take home about £2400 a month, a lot considering to be qualified for this job I did a massive 2 weeks training!

I know lads on half of what you earn switch.

Fair enough, they don’t do international work like you, but there are a lot of firms in the North West that are paying around £7 per hour.

As the saying goes: One man’s meat is another man’s poison. Degus may find that he loves truck driving, but I hope he’s up to speed with the non-existent “Driver Shortage”. :unamused:

If it’s in your blood don’t fight it.

If you are really not sure give it a miss.

In the end it’s your decision, at least you aren’t going to go into it thinking you are going to get rich.

I was almost forced into it by my Dad as he and my bro and uncle are all class one drivers. I grew up in trucks with me dad and bro both taking me to school and dropping the bloody artic outside school gates :grimacing: I love it, clear between 1700 and 2k a month after tax and have a very easy going company to work for. I was lucky as I was offered job with company through my dad as before this job I had class 2 but never driven one for a year, now im class 1 and love everyday of it hate driving a rigid now I cant turn corners for ■■■■ :laughing: I have no other qualifications, used to be a manager for wetherspoons after working in various clubs and pubs and although I love the pub trade more the pay is about 15-19k a year and working 60 hour weeks with no extra pay really ■■■■■■ you off especially at x mas time when your mates are all out enjying emselves :unamused: and the rules are just as crap when it comes to fining folk working for minimum wage thousands for serving an under 18 kid in the pub :imp:
I would say go for it but dont expect too much too soon, it has worked out well for me and does for most truckers eventually but it will take time.
Good luck whatever you decide :stuck_out_tongue:

I think the wages are very good, put it this way, I am earning twice as much as what I used to be working in I.T

in this day and age do you really want to get out of bed at 1 a.m for 8.10 p.h, then at 6 a.m go on 7.20 p.h, then finally finish at 4 p.m :question: ,if the answers YES, come and join the rest of us nutters :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

You either hate it or love it,in my case i grew up on trucks since i could walk i was off with the old lad,got my full artic when i was 18 never looked back could’ent imagine doing any other job everyday on the road is always diffrent the crack with other drivers (kinda)been your own boss take the plunge you never know untill you try. :smiley:

Secretelephant:
How long is a piece of string.

twice as long from the middle to the end. :smiley: :smiley: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

I been mostly on agency and the money can be good but at the moment im not getting many days. I even have my work uniform in the boot of car if i ever go out as if i am called i can come running. I never used to be like that but work is tight at the moment.

im inclined to agree that the wages arent really that bad. sure we would all like that bit more but when i compare me to my dad, i cant complain. he is a bus driver and i earn a lot more than he does although largely down to my eagerness to put the hours in. im single with no ties so i will happily work every available hour. as long as they are paying, i am happy to work. other ex army guys are earning a lot less than i am so £20k - £25k seems reasonable to me. the alternative seems to be £10k less so i know what my choice is. it sure as hell isnt stagging on in a gatehouse :laughing: