Is this the going rate in central Scotland?

Mate sent me this and I thought it looked not bad till the last paragraph so won’t be applying. Is this the going rate for this type of work and hours? I’m hourly paid so can’t justify leaving for those hours on a salary.

Job summary
Job ID
318****
Posting Date
28/06/2016
Company
(. .)
Industries
Transport and storage - materials
Job type
Full time
Years of experience
1+ years
Career level
Experienced (Non-Manager)
Education Level
GCSE / Scottish or equivalent
Salary
32,000.00 - 32,000.00 per year
Company Pension Scheme
Application methods
Email: @…

Class 1 Night Trunk Driver

Job description

*********** is looking to appoint a Class 1 Night Trunk Driver based at their depot in Edinburgh.

The main responsibility of the role is to trunk (double manned) to the central hub in Fradley, Staffordshire and back to the depot in *********.

Candidates must have a minimum of 1 years experience driving a class one vehicle, as well as a full UK drivers licence with a Cat C+E plus a full drivers CPC.

The role incumbent must have excellent communication skills and the ability to work to a high standard.

Hours of work will be 75 per week, Monday (afternoon) to Saturday (morning) with variable start times.

£32,000 per year works out at £615 per week, or at 75 hours per week, around £8.20 per hour. I don’t know how double-manning works, but surely there must be some skulduggery with this to be able to work 75 hours in a week? 15 hours every day in a 5-day week, or 12 and a half in a 6, that’s some serious time, not to mention the EU driver’s hours.

I heard a rumour that some places in Scotland still pay NMW for Class 1, but it’s only driver’s room bull.

They get around it by having the passenger using POA when not driving so although you’ll do 75hrs you’ll still “work” under 60hrs.

Different hours rules for double man.

The magic of POA…

You’re not here…oh…yes you are here but not here because we need to keep your hours down…bloody farce.

The other thing about this kind of work is, getting on with your other driver. If you get the job, it’ll be the first trip out that you meet your other driver. If you both get on and they drive ok, then it’s good. If you’re a staunch commy pinko who eats rare steaks and they’re a poofy lefty that only eats naturally formed yeast yoghurt or whatever, you’re gonna be fighting by the time you get to Hamilton services.

This might suit a single or homeless person.Perhaps you could drive down and sleep on the way back,its still twice the amount of hours that most folks would call a weeks work.

What’s the big secret with the company name?

Palletways, Newtongrange.

yourhavingalarf:
If you’re a staunch commy pinko who eats rare steaks and they’re a poofy lefty that only eats naturally formed yeast yoghurt or whatever, you’re gonna be fighting by the time you get to Hamilton services.

:laughing: :laughing:

The-Snowman:

yourhavingalarf:
If you’re a staunch commy pinko who eats rare steaks and they’re a poofy lefty that only eats naturally formed yeast yoghurt or whatever, you’re gonna be fighting by the time you get to Hamilton services.

:laughing: :laughing:

:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

which of the aforementioned 2 would be ■■■■■■■ worse on the trip back then?.. :blush:

busteredwards:

Wasn’t too sure of the rules regarding names etc so just took it out. £8.20 ph is a ■■■■ take for night work though, I can imagine 75 hours is based on a problem free week as well, will probably go up if you had a break down, blow out etc.
No doubt someone desperate enough will work for it!! Then they’ll be on here in no time moaning about the low rates in the industry

It’ll be 85 hours a week to allow for border inspection/crossing +delays when wee Jimmie Krankie leads Scotland to er freedom?

adokeefe:

busteredwards:

Wasn’t too sure of the rules regarding names etc so just took it out. £8.20 ph is a ■■■■ take for night work though, I can imagine 75 hours is based on a problem free week as well, will probably go up if you had a break down, blow out etc.
No doubt someone desperate enough will work for it!! Then they’ll be on here in no time moaning about the low rates in the industry

32k a year for driving what 6 hours from point A to B and then sleeping on the way back every night. I know lads who do it. Its the easiest job in the industry! £8.20 is generous for the work involved lol

Never happy when sat in the passenger seat with someone else driving mainly due to there style of driving, so i’m out.

thought the only endearing feature of the job was to work by myself and not have to put up with others, being stuck in a small cab with some one else for 12 hrs a day would do my heed in.

UPS or whatever it was before UPS, ran from Nuneaton to ■■■■■■■■■■■ double manned,didn`t seem to be able to keep permanent drivers on it,usually Agency.
More to do with the long shifts

a bit off topic here, but this is the kind of job that will be first to go if ever self driving trucks happen

the firm would save 64,000 pounds per year, actually it would be more because of holiday pay and NI contributions, and it is mostly motorway driving between two companys own depots. within 20 years i think there’ll be robot trucks that can manage that, maybe sooner

it is inevitable when there are cost savings like that involved

chrisdalott:
a bit off topic here, but this is the kind of job that will be first to go if ever self driving trucks happen

the firm would save 64,000 pounds per year, actually it would be more because of holiday pay and NI contributions, and it is mostly motorway driving between two companys own depots. within 20 years i think there’ll be robot trucks that can manage that, maybe sooner

it is inevitable when there are cost savings like that involved

Lol self driving lorrys, hahahahahaha what next flying cars…

Not happen this century. If ever we will all die by a Russian or American H bomb before tech gets there and take us back to the stone age (again) and those people will hear about mythical flying dragons and spacemen and the cycle begins again