Is this plate legal? Am I misunderstanding?

Hey people, apologies in advance if this is a stupid question…

I’ve been driving artics a couple of years and was always under the impression that the plate is the truck version of an MOT when it comes to the unit, and hence needs replacing every 12 months?

Am at a decent company who have assured me the truck’s legal, but this is the only plate I can find in the cab…

I’m just worried as this plate would have run out on 21/12/2016?

Thanks

P.s. sorry about pic size, am on phone browser! Gonna go hook up, hopefully somebody in the know will be along before I’m ready to leave :wink:

You will be fine just crack on mines in dated 2014 its does not need a new 1 every 12 months.

Thanks Colin. Out of curiosity, how do I check the MOT of units then? I’ve never seen one with its own green MOT disc and only ever seen the plating certs!

Javiatrix:
Thanks Colin. Out of curiosity, how do I check the MOT of units then? I’ve never seen one with its own green MOT disc and only ever seen the plating certs!

Ask in the office or there might be a sticker somewhere in the cab showing next service date and mot expiry date that’s what we have inside our drivers door.

As others have said that’s not a test certificate, that’s a small piece of paper like the old car MOT certificate.
That just hold information about weights the vehicle is permitted to operate at and tyre sizes.

Why do you feel the need to check the test date of the vehicle, do you have suspicions about lack of maintenance?

If you read what’s written in the grey box above the word PLATE, you see it’s proof of the weight and dimensions regulations AKA a plating certificate. Which is nothing to do with the MOT. The plating certificate should be carried with the vehicle, the MOT certificate stays in the office and isn’t carried in the vehicle.

It is just the plating certificate, issued last time the vehicle was authorised to run at the weights shown on the doc., could be from new or any change in the vehicle data from the original spec, for example as some of our tractors never run at the design weight they are downplated to 28tonnes to reduce the road fund fee.
The test disc may well be in your traffic office.
If you look on your trailer chassis you will find a similar plating certificate and the round test disc is usually nearby.

Is this plate legal? Am I misunderstanding?

you are misunderstanding!

that is the weight plate & has nothing to do with the MOT (which should be due in September BTW)

It has nothing to do with the MOT and it’s for reference to your vehicle weights and dimensions and will not expire.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

As BB said you need to ask the office or the workshop for the MOT date.

This topic was posted twice so the 2 threads have been merged.

This is what we have in Canada, displayed on the drivers window and another one on the front of the trailer, saves on paperwork.

just type check my mot and the gov web site will tell you when the mot runs out just the reg and make needed, some slight hickups as some daf are Leyland daf,daf trucks, and things like that ,

hotel magnum:
just type check my mot and the gov web site will tell you when the mot runs out just the reg and make needed, some slight hickups as some daf are Leyland daf,daf trucks, and things like that ,

I don’t that works as HGV tests aren’t on the database.

as saiod before, its just a plating cert…so put it back in its holder and dont worry, its the boss who takes the blame for an mot which is in his filing cabinet…so crack on.

Not sure if its possible to get access to DVSA’s m.o.t history check but you can check to see if a truck is taxed…vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

AndrewG:
Not sure if its possible to get access to DVSA’s m.o.t history check but you can check to see if a truck is taxed…vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

Only shows the tax not MOT on HGV :wink:

Now " THIS " is what the DCPC should be explaining/teaching drivers.

Now " THIS " is what the DCPC should be explaining/teaching drivers

Agreed. Better still if it was included in the basic driver training. Always covered on initial cpc so it should be covered twice.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: