Is this legal?

Ok so ive been offered a possible job driving class 2 tippers, initially a run here and there but possibly leading to full time. As a newbie this is the ideal oppertunity to get my foot in the door and get some experience and the guy is desperate for a driver (its an oppertunity i dont really want to miss) the problem is although i have my Cat C licence i have not done my CPC, and with the holidays coming unlikely i can get it done for a few weeks. If i was to drive for him initially on a basis to get experience with no reward or payment, would this be classed as legal?

Thanks

no

When did you pass your test?
From what I am led to believe there is not law in the land to stop
You asking as you hold a licence to drive the vehicle in question!
However if you need to complete some of the cpc due to being a
New driver this may result in a £30 fixed penalty if you get a pull

Im sure there is some rule about needing CPC to drive commercially (for hire or reward), but some may say your reward is experience? If it were your own truck or hire truck and you were moving a shed load of your own stuff from A to B then you wouldn’t need it.

To cut it short, technically you don’t need it if you don’t get paid, but in your situation im sure they could pin something on you if you got caught, and the operator would get done too. Best bet is to wait until your fully legal, opportunities may be missed but you’ve Only just got your license, better to keep your nose clean to begin with.

Getting paid or not has no bearing on the dcpc

It is either driving a LGV commercially or privately

driving without pay for a company is driving commercially

If the OP did not have any LGV category on their licence (C1 C or CE etc) on 10/09/2009 then they MUST pass initial LGV dcpc modules 2 and 4 before being legally allowed to drive LGVs commercially

Probly get away with it but its a fine to you and him of about a grand if you get caught which is highly unlikely for the time being but do you like the danger?!

As Rog says re CPC…

Also, never drive for free.

Some things are easily started…

Thanks guys for your replys, just trying to book my CPC hopefully wont have to wait to long and with a bit of luck he may still need a driver!

Trucker-Lass22:
Thanks guys for your replys, just trying to book my CPC hopefully wont have to wait to long and with a bit of luck he may still need a driver!

Module 2 is the theory so you can book that yourself and do it

Module 4 can only be done after mod 2 is passed

Module 4 will require at least a couple of hours training and the hiring of the truck and instructor for the test so that will be between 2 and 3 hundred quid

i thought the theory test and hazard perception had to be done before taking the practical test.
and i also thought that the theory test and hazard perception were part of the Dcpc.
am i wrong? but if i’m not wrong, then how many hours are they worth?

limeyphil:
i thought the theory test and hazard perception had to be done before taking the practical test.
and i also thought that the theory test and hazard perception were part of the Dcpc.
am i wrong? but if i’m not wrong, then how many hours are they worth?

Module 1a = basic theory
Module 1b = HPT
both of those must be passed before the practical test Module 3 can be taken

Module 2 = dcpc theory
That must be passed before Module 4 practical dcpc can be taken

Modules 1a, 1b & 3 for the licence
Modules 2 & 4 for the dcpc

Modules 2 & 4 are the initial dcpc and do not count as hours for the periodic dcpc

As a thick old ■■■■, can someone please tell me exactly who benefits from this DCPC legislation?

nobody with an ounce of grey matter…

Retired Old ■■■■:
As a thick old ■■■■, can someone please tell me exactly who benefits from this DCPC legislation?

Look at those on here asking questions about basic drivers hours regulations.

There is no guarantee that those who do not know about the regs will actually know after a dcpc course on them because there is no test to determine whether they have assimilated them correctly or not

I could sit in on a course for nuclear physics so will that mean I know that subject after 7 hours? - who knows without being tested to see if I do…

cant think how we ever managed 40 years ago must have been either a thick or fiddling bunch of ba----ds…

Retired Old ■■■■:

The Govt and trainers financially but mainly the Govt

And posters called Rog?
Or have you stopped charging for your services these days?
I wish I’d known about the profession of “consultant” years ago!

Retired Old ■■■■:
And posters called Rog?
Or have you stopped charging for your services these days?
I wish I’d known about the profession of “consultant” years ago!

EH!!
I have never charged or delivered a dcpc course … the only paid training I ever did was to train drivers for the LGV tests

But at my age I feel I have earned the right to take the p*ss!!!