Is this legal????

Hi All.
I had a call from a large parcel company re a job application. They asked me if I had any visable tatoos (no) and did I have any facial hair!!!
Would I be prepared to shave of my beard if offered a job as they have a clean shaven policy unless the beard is for religious reasons.
Has anyone else come across this? Is this not descrimination and therefore illegal? Should I convert to Allah?

Companies can have any policy that is reasonable and legal

The Unions are involved in agreeing with such policies so in this case it has to be legal

I think this is the brown uniform company and they have had this policy for many years

i’m sure sainsburys had a no beard policy, don’t know if it was national policy or just in my local store, but it was in the paper, don’t know what the outcome was, not exactly a great help i know :smiley: :smiley:

viking7000:
Hi All.
I had a call from a large parcel company re a job application. They asked me if I had any visable tatoos (no) and did I have any facial hair!!!
Would I be prepared to shave of my beard if offered a job as they have a clean shaven policy unless the beard is for religious reasons.
Has anyone else come across this? Is this not descrimination and therefore illegal? Should I convert to Allah?

I wouldn’t want to work for a firm like that anyway, they sound a right bunch of pompous pricks. Ok if you had ■■■■ off tatooed on your forehead you can see their point, and why has religion got a get out clause anyway.
Tell them you have your own beliefs Santa and the tooth fairy, so that should allow tatoos and a tache in your opinion, it’s just as ridicous as their bloody stupid policies.
Now if their wages match the ridiculousness (in a good way) of their rules get the razor out, but somehow I doubt it.

Its a night trunk driving job ferchrisake. Anyhow I have had a beard for 25 year and I wont be shaving it off for any company.
I wonder if Richard Branson has the same policy in his companies?

robroy:

viking7000:
Hi All.

I wouldn’t want to work for a firm like that anyway, they sound a right bunch of pompous pricks. Ok if you had [zb] off tatooed on your forehead you can see their point, and why has religion got a get out clause anyway.
Tell them you have your own beliefs Santa and the tooth fairy, so that should allow tatoos and a tache in your opinion, it’s just as ridicous as their bloody stupid policies.
Now if their wages match the ridiculousness (in a good way) of their rules get the razor out, but somehow I doubt it.

+1

I have a stubble to cover a couple of scars, although I have been clean shaven for certain things I’m always self concious of them (even though I get told nobody notices them).

For a good wage, I’m sure I’d be able to live with it, but not for average wages that’s for sure.

Cant see what is with facial hair, as long as it looks neat and tidy and your well presented …whats the issue…
I worked for Sainsburys par time many about 10 years ago…didn’t seem to bother them… :grimacing:

But I remember when I grew mine back in 94 when I was off on the sick after a road accident…When I returned got told to shave it off, asked to see the companies policy, which only stated not to be grown in company time, so the policy really didn’t cover mine which was a fully gown beard

Certainly down to you to decide weather you want the job or keep ya beard on this one

Can understand about the tattoo thing, nothing like unsightly tattoos of someones hands or face…

Swampey2418:
Cant see what is with facial hair, as long as it looks neat and tidy and your well presented …whats the issue…
I worked for Sainsburys par time many about 10 years ago…didn’t seem to bother them… :grimacing:

But I remember when I grew mine back in 94 when I was off on the sick after a road accident…When I returned got told to shave it off, asked to see the companies policy, which only stated not to be grown in company time, so the policy really didn’t cover mine which was a fully gown beard

Certainly down to you to decide weather you want the job or keep ya beard on this one

Can understand about the tattoo thing, nothing like unsightly tattoos of someones hands or face…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHgpklQc34I

How do you stop your hair growing in company time?? :open_mouth:

waynedl:
How do you stop your hair growing in company time?? :open_mouth:

It was the typical company BS… think the policies and procedures were written by someone in a cave, who only came out from under there stone to be heard…lmao
and in answer to your question…you can’t stop facial hair growing, think the point of the policy was to ensure the staff where clean shaven daily due to the nature of the work,so having a few days growth wasn’t expectable.

Swampey2418:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHgpklQc34I

I’ve got sleeves, and hands covered (each to their own) but I’ve never struggled with work. We live in a world now where tattoos aren’t done by bronson in a cell.

Tell them you have a beard for religious reasons. If they insist on knowing what religion,tell them THATS illegal as you feel you may be discriminated against and why is it neccessery for them to know what your religious beliefs are :laughing:

I just wonder what other stupid regs they have and if this is just the tip of the iceberg. 27K per year is nothing too special either.
Even in the RAF you could have a beard unless there was a war because it would stop your gas mask sealing properly. Maybe their drivers need to wear gas masks! and tatoos might make people think you David Beckham.

viking7000:
Even in the RAF you could have a beard unless there was a war

No you couldn’t, nor in the Army. The only branch of the forces which has ever allowed beards post Crimea is the Royal Navy.

Basically what it boils down to is what is actually ‘legal’ or ‘illegal’ - and what is just ‘morally wrong’ (from an individual’s pov) - and often there is quite a difference them.

It is not illegal for a company to ask for you not to have tats/facial hair whatever, as long as they make it part of their policy and your contract - and if you sign up and agree to it then all well and good.
It IS however illegal for them to discriminate on certain grounds - you know the common ones we hear about all the time in the news… so age/gender/■■■■■■ orientation/disability and more.

What it sounds like is that you disagree with the company’s way of wanting to conduct their business - and there is nothing illegal about that.
As has been pointed out, it probably means you won’t ‘fit in’ with their ethos. So in essence don’t sign up for them.

I remember the lads on night-shift stacking duty at a big supermarket I worked for going off on one when the ‘indoor’ smoking room was removed (to comply with the law not allowing people to smoke in workplaces) and that meant they basically couldn’t smoke all shift as the company policy was not to let anyone in or out outwith business hours.
They started shouting that it was illegal and not right etc etc until they were told that you there is no law about being ‘anti-smokist’ or whatever you want to call it. You might disagree, but you have no legal grounds to take it further - all you can do is leave the company if it means that much to you. Of course, somehow the poor souls managed to last a full shift without a tab. Oh and the ones that tried it on anyway, encouraged by a night manager (the only one to have the keys) who also thought he couldn’t cope with a midnight smoke, were all sacked when security drove past them one night and saw them outside puffing away :slight_smile:

Jon

Conor:

viking7000:

No you couldn’t, nor in the Army. The only branch of the forces which has ever allowed beards post Crimea is the Royal Navy.

Jesus here we go. You could grow a beard in the RAF if you had permission and it was full within 28 days. This was back in 1970s and 80s. Maybe different later but when I was in there were quite a few guys with Moustaches and beards.

The Pioneer Sgt in an Infantry Battalion could grow one, if the Battalion had a Pioneer Platoon.

They certainly could in the 90’s !!

Conor:

viking7000:

Adjutant-General to the Forces, who loathed his own moustache and immediately shaved it off.[11][12][13] However, there is considerable evidence in photographs and film footage that the earlier regulations were widely ignored and that many British soldiers of all ranks were clean-shaven even before 1916.[14]

Since that time, the British Army, Royal Air Force, and Royal Marines have allowed moustaches and connected side whiskers only. Exceptions are beards grown for medical reasons, such as temporary skin irritations, or for religious reasons (usually by Sikhs or Muslims), although in the event of conflict in which the use of chemical or biological weapons is likely, they may be required to shave a strip around the seal of a respirator. Infantry pioneer warrant officers, colour sergeants and sergeants also traditionally wear and are permitted to wear beards; although not compulsory, most do wear them. In some Scottish infantry regiments, it is either permitted or expected, by regimental tradition, for the drum major, pipe major, and/or commanding officer’s piper to wear a beard. Beards are also permitted to special forces when on covert intelligence operations or behind enemy lines.

More recently, the British Army has been seen sporting a full range of stubble, moustaches and beards in Afghanistan in an effort to blend in with the generally bearded Afghan men, for whom a beard is seen as a sign of virility and authority.[15]

The Royal Navy has always allowed beards, but never moustaches alone, and since at least the early 20th century has permitted its members to wear only a “full set” (i.e. a full beard and moustache). A beard or moustache may not be worn without the other and the beard must be full (i.e. cover the whole jawline) and joined to the moustache. If, after a period without shaving, it becomes clear that the individual cannot grow a proper full set, his commanding officer may order him to shave it off.

I believe some modern thinking is that beards are unhygienic - is that so?

The thing is, in the RAF during the cold war, they didnt really give a toss as long as the planes got away…cos the chances were they wouldnt be coming back. Most fighter bases were tucked away and camoflaged. Maybe at the high profile bases like Brize or Lyneham they were strickter but not where I was.
Going back to the main point of this post I can not understand what the problem is with beards, tatoos, piercing or whatever for truck drivers. Its an invasion of freedom in my opinion and legal or not, no company tells me what to look like. I will wear a uniform and thats it. Whats next? no hairy chests allowed?
There was a DVSA guy who was allowed to dress as a woman because the court decided not allowing him to was against his civil liberties. So if they want my beard off I will wear a mini shirt and high heals!!!