Is the Transport industry racist?

I was talking with my uncle and a few of his friends and we couldn’t come up with a reason why hgv driving is done by predominantly white males.

My uncles Indian and has a franchise in Citylink so runs a few vans/7.5t but has no interest in going up any further.

I cant think of any other sectors where its predominantly white males employed by a huge margin.

maga:
I was talking with my uncle and a few of his friends and we couldn’t come up with a reason why hgv driving is done by predominantly white males.

Because nobody else is stupid enough to do it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Being based in Leicestershire and there being a lot of quarries in the area, there tends to be a lot of our ethnic friends on the tippers so i don’t get your theory mate :smiley: :smiley:

tango boy:
Being based in Leicestershire and there being a lot of quarries in the area, there tends to be a lot of our ethnic friends on the tippers so i don’t get your theory mate :smiley: :smiley:

yeah i guess, but i can go at least a week or more without seeing anything other than white men driving lorries.

Being local to Birmingham where there are massive communities of a number of nationalities, yet i only see they driving the usual taxi/parcel van and the odd few driving an artic for the huge DPD hub.

You have Guardian reader logic if you think the fact that the white male dominates the transport sector makes it ‘racist’. It’s probably for the same reason that comparatively you don’t seem many women driving trucks or white blokes working in kebab houses. The job just doesn’t appeal to other ethnicities.

I suppose you could say it depends on where you live but I travel all over the country and rarely see anything other than a white face. I’ve only ever seen one Asian driver on class 1 & and about half a dozen black guys, this is over a period of 20 years. I’m sure some will be along saying different but I can only say what I’ve noticed.

maga:

My uncles Indian and has a franchise in Citylink so runs a few vans/7.5t but has no interest in going up any further.

I cant think of any other sectors where its predominantly white males employed by a huge margin.

Go to Walsall or Wolverhampton and most of the buses are driven by Indians. Go to Cannock or Stafford however and they are predominantly white. A distance of just 10 miles makes a difference.

Why you see very Indian faces driving trucks, probably has more to do with strong family values. Not everyone would leave their families for days on end to doss in laybys and leave their families to fend for themselves. Not a nice life for either side.

There’s definitely an element of racism when it comes to the stereotypical perception towards foreign drivers in foreign trucks…as illustrated on here on a regular basis.

robroy:
There’s definitely an element of racism when it comes to the stereotypical perception towards foreign drivers in foreign trucks…as illustrated on here on a regular basis.

Only because they keep diminishing the carp population… :open_mouth: :slight_smile:

When i was at IMR Transport 07/09 they employed about 45 drivers, 4 of those were black.

On the same principle you could say the haulage industry is ageist and sexist, as you don’t see many young drivers or women driving trucks. And I’m sure some would accuse the haulage industry of all these just to suit their own political agenda.

I think the reasons are less that the haulage industry is racist, ageist or sexist, more these people aren’t attracted to the haulage industry.

Young people of all ethnic backgrounds aren’t attracted to the job, because of the cost of training, long unsocial hours of the job they’d rather be doing something else.

Same can be said about taxi drivers and late night takeaways workers,dont see many whites doing those jobs, :neutral_face:

Could you imagine if there was a lot of Asians driving trucks. You wouldn’t get any deliveries done by them on Friday afternoons. Govanhill in Glasgow would be bedlam with dozens of artics parked outside the mosque. :astonished::o:mrgreen::mrgreen:

maga:

I have not seen a white RM Artic driver around London for quite some time now…
Perhaps there was a predominant amount of white RM artic drivers taking the VR package when 9elms, Manor Road, and now 12 trees closed down? :confused:

Olog Hai:
You have Guardian reader logic if you think the fact that the white male dominates the transport sector makes it ‘racist’. It’s probably for the same reason that comparatively you don’t seem many women driving trucks or white blokes working in kebab houses. The job just doesn’t appeal to other ethnicities.

Agreed ^^^^^

Can only think of one “corner shop” in my area that isn’t owned and ran by people of a Pakistani or Indian origin. Guess some industries just attract certain people.

Sorry if i go off track a bit. It was on the Wright stuff this week about a company, BskyB that was going to be hiring so that 20% of its work force is ethnic minorities. If anyone sees HGV driving as racist or prejudice, imagine if the industry took up the same stance as BskyB, they would be hiring drivers not on talent, experience, skills, qualifications, attitude etc but solely on skin colour, to make up percentages. Hate the idea of that in any industry, best person for the job whether the be male,female, blue,black or green

Olog Hai:

Thats hit the nail on the head,before all the racist crap starts :unamused:

I don’t reckon you are looking hard enough then fella,also getting a bit tired of hearing about this racist crap[no offence meant]I have worked with loads of ethnic minorities and decent geezers the lot of them are,i have also met one or two racists one of them asked why I shook a particular blokes hand,i replied because he showed me respect so he got respect back,i then asked why he mentioned it and he replied because the bloke whos hand I shook is black,i then replied in no uncertain terms what he could do with his opinion and if he stood there any longer I would chin him,i got no time for people like that,if a guy says hi to me and shakes my hand I don’t give a ■■■■ what colour skin he has

Contrary to what the PC integrationists would like to think maybe it really is a case of at least the ethnic Northern Europeans are just better at the manufacture and operation of machinery of whatever type.Just like certain other ethnic groups are better at physical sports.IE the ethnic Germanic European groups did invent and pioneer the idea of mechanical transport like cars and trucks just like aircraft and trains etc so it shouldn’t be surprising that we’re generally better at operating it.

Which is why from memory I don’t remember many/any non indigenous precision engineering workers like turners,millers,toolmakers, etc etc when I was working in that industry either and that had nothing whatsoever to do with any PC bs idea of so called ‘racism’ .While being no more ‘racist’ than the high proportion of ethnic Africans employed in professional sport like boxing,athletics,football and basketball for example.Maybe it’s time for the indigenous population to start celebrating the gifts they’ve been given by nature in that regard instead of felling guilty about them. :bulb:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co … death_rate

damoq:
Could you imagine if there was a lot of Asians driving trucks. You wouldn’t get any deliveries done by them on Friday afternoons. Govanhill in Glasgow would be bedlam with dozens of artics parked outside the mosque. :astonished::o:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Which one?.. Lol

Used to try parking my car on Butterbiggins road, as close to the mosque as possible, cause there was always a lot of them about… Acted as a deterrent to the junkies who used to break into cars, not a deterrent to the neds who vandalised cars though :frowning:

I don’t think anyone actually knows what “racist” means anymore.

If a company like BsB (related in previous post) can “positively discriminate” to get so many percentage of ethnic minorities - then that to me is a profoundly racist recruitment policy! It means anyone white above the quota - will automatically get knocked back when applying - and the firm thinks it’s got around the law successfully (which of course it has!) by advertising for “anyone” - but just not taking anyone at the interview stage…