is it worth it?

Im 23 and debating if I should go for my cat c licence ino its £1000 give or take but I dont no what my options will be like once I pass… Are most jobs agency? Are wages good or should I just stay where am I am now and forget it ide like to progress onto c + e eventually any advice would appreciate thanks!

It seems by reading the forum threads from newbies that the jobs are there if you’re willing to get off your arse and go knocking on doors. The wages vary from crap to good and the jobs, like all jobs are what you make them.
Personally speaking, I’m 46 and went all over the country back in the 70’s with my dad delivering paper for DRT in his old ERF flatbed. I’ve booked my theory/hpt for Dec 2nd and am going to be booking my class 2 in the new year. I only wish I’d done it 20 years ago, I’ve spent time as a bus driver but hated it, so now I’ve finally got the cash and the motivation to get out and do it, so in short, if it’s what you really want to do, GO FOR IT, you’ll only spend years thinking “what if…” if you don’t :smiley:

Thanks for the fast reply :smiley: I was the exact same always went out with me grandad when he started to work more local and I lived it im not afraid at all to look for work never have been its just nice to no I could make a good future for myself out of it :slight_smile:

Go for it. Then knock on every companies door for a chance. Don’t phone, meet them face to face. Leave details etc.

Could try ringing round a few companies in your area first and seeing if there are any vacancies and if they would even consider taking on a new/recently passed driver or even let you go out with an experienced driver for a bit. This can work out perfect if theres a driver due to retire soon. Could offer your learning services for cheap or even free just to get your foot in the door.

It may be £1000 but once you have it then the options are open, while your young I would go for it.

Well, if you want to do it then you should do it. It might be a little difficult finding a job at first although we’ve all been there ourselves and all ended up finding something sooner or later. You might have to start out taking all the crap that no-one else wants to do, again that’s par for the course although as you gain experience your options open up.

As for the money, it depends what you do and where you live. If you were to work away all week, then with your wages and night-out money you shouldn’t have too much trouble pulling in £450-£500 a week.

I always reckon it’s the things you think about doing but don’t that you regret, not the things you do do, even if things don’t work out quite how you planned. You certainly won’t spend the rest of your life patting your trouser pocket and saying “this is the £1,000 I saved by not taking my truck test”. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks guys im going to look at driving courses tomorrow and get it booked for new year I think! Gives me a month or 2 to have a drive around to some companies and like you said show my interest maybe do some free weekend work for them as I work 9-5 mon to fri now

I think it depends where you are in the country.

I would say its more than 1000 for cat C if you take into account all the 4 modules needed
1a - general theory
1b - HPT
2 - initial dcpc theory
3 practical road drive/reverse
4 initial dcpc practical

Plus medical and any possible retest

I reckon you need the best part of 2000 just in case

check out the LGV TRAINING TIPS link below

Blimey £2000 my class 1 (C+E) was £500 back in the day (well 1991).
No wonder theres a driver shortage coming :wink:

Dipper_Dave:

About the same mine was in 1988

ROG:

Dipper_Dave:

About the same mine was in 1988

One of the best weeks of my life (excluding meeting wife and birth of kids), Sammy Jones Walsall- got trained by one of the best I think- in training he asked me what the road sign was 100 yards after we passed it and I couldn’t remember so had to park and walk back and look.
Still to this day I try and remember every road sign I pass, you never know one might be for a low bridge.

Oh and it was ‘road narrows’ if anyones interested…

Is it worth it…? ZB no…:exclamation: Don’t listen to all this bs about upcoming driver shortages, there hasn’t been & never will be one, it’s a nasty game so go in with you’re eyes wide open & ffs stay away from agencies…!!!:twisted:

azza91:
Thanks guys im going to look at driving courses tomorrow and get it booked for new year I think! Gives me a month or 2 to have a drive around to some companies and like you said show my interest maybe do some free weekend work for them as I work 9-5 mon to fri now

I think the working for free will be frowned upon.Never a good idea.Could be seen as taking work from drivers already there.

Go for it, you will never know if you dont try it
Good time of year to be looking for work but also your location will play a part in that

azza91:
…drive around to some companies and like you said show my interest maybe do some free weekend work for them…

:open_mouth:

You do not and should never work for free, if you always give a good days work for a good days pay then thats how you go through lorry life and is all anyone expects of you, IMO.

Yes i would do it, and i would get the artic ticket too, if you have the funds to do them without getting into debt.

I wouldn’t worry too much about getting a job straight away, i’d do my utmost to avoid agency parasites, i would suggest you do exactly as the sensible suggestions above, knock on doors regularly, let your face be know, every month that ticks by is another month you’ve held a licence, eventually you’ll be in the right place at the right moment.

There are going to be good driver shortages, there is already in some sectors, no shortage of licence holders though.

The thing is to do your best and learn all you can from the right experienced drivers you get to work with and most importantly take a pride in your work when you do get a start.

Make sure you become a lorry driver, of which there are increasingly fewer and not just another steering wheel operative of which there are increasing numbers to choose from, the difference being that good lorry drivers invariably find their way into better work, whilst operatives generally mulluck their way from one poor show to another wingeing and bleating constantly and find they have no recommendations or reputation to offer…and if you want to get into lucrative work eventually are hugely important.

Not sure if I came across right in my earlier post, but sure the OP won’t be doing a days work for free but offering to go out with an experienced driver to learn the ropes for cheap or even free isn’t a bad thing.

Smaller local firms might be best for this who may have loyal drivers who have been employed for ages and are willing to give you a bit of real world experience this may involve sitting in the cab with a driver on a Saturday run and just holding his flask for a few hours while he waffles on about times gone by stuck on Shap.
The knowledge you can soak up from someone who has done the job can’t be taught in any cpc training module.

Bigger firms may not be interested and bleat on about no insurance for non employees etc.

Or perhaps try getting a job van driving for a company with a large fleet or a job being a ‘drivers mate’ (which doesn’t mean your just employed to be their friend :slight_smile: ).

First impressions and actually shaking hands and talking to an employer is far better than any e-mailed/posted CV.

As Rog said £1000 wont get you a C licence,when you count the medical and cost of digi. card as well as DCPC,theory test a lot of money before you even touch a steering wheel.Ask your Council and local hauliers about employment prospects.Remember if you do pass your test and get a job dont lose your licence flying around because some desk jockey said you have to do it that way.

I passed C last July and C+E this June, in total it cost me at least £3500 all in.

I failed my C, 3 times and my DCPC module 4 once.

I passed everything else first time and my medical was £40. I had no trouble getting a full time driving job, 2 days after passing C+E, Turners took me on.

Good luck and if it’s something you want to do go for it, it’s long hours and I’ve earned more per hour before but not per month, however the job is easy and I have seen parts of GB that I would never had seen in an office, it’s an amazing job in the summer and the nights out are like an adventure (I’m sure this is just the novelty of it all).

If I was you I would make sure you have some spare cash for re tests just in case, I know someone who spent 1200 on training and had nothing for a re test, he failed 6 years ago and now it’s wasted money.

Oh and when you pass keep her lit!