Is it worth becoming an LGV driver?

Hello all,

I’m interested in possibly starting working in LGV driving of any category (i.e. C1/C/C+E). Now, discounting the fact of wheter my driving is good enough to get any of them licences, I got a few questions for you lot:

1. Is there much part time work of any kind going for any of these categories?
  2. What are people’s opinions of agency working?
  3. Considering the cost of LGV training, is it really worth me doing? Are any categories more worth doing?

I am aware that times aren’t as good as they have been and I have searched the forum before asking, so please don’t beat me up with your replies if I’ve asked something silly! :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks very much!

fnv

At the current time driving is like any other job - hard to get into without experience. There are plenty of experienced drivers looking for jobs and so an inexperienced one is going to struggle. That said some do get a lucky break so it’s not a no hoper.

As for whether or not driving is good for you is hard to tell. To many it is more a way of life than a job. The hours are long and unpredictable and the money is only any good because of those long hours. But many people (me included) gave up what most would consider a much better job (IT in my case) to do it and I don’t regret it one bit.

Paul

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome fnv :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
The link includes THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC which started on 10 Sept 2009.

1. Considering the cost of LGV training, is it really worth me doing? Are any categories more worth doing?

If looked upon as an investment for the future then yes

C1/C/C+E

A C pass will give you C1 so do not go for a C1 course - C must be passed before CE can be done.

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
However, many newbies on this site have recently secured permanent full time employment :smiley:

1. What are people’s opinions of agency working?

A read of THIS POST may be useful.

1. Is there much part time work of any kind going for any of these categories?

If working Mon to Fri then you can only do 1 driving shift every other weekend due to the weekly rest rules.

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

I would say that in the present economic climate that the big expenditure is not worth it.Check out any possible funding and speak to local hauliers to see what the local employment situation is in your area.I dont want to be pessimistic but these are tough times.

Thankyou all for the warm welcome!

Thanks for that all, I think it might be something I try when times are better!

I was aware C gave you C1 but if you think that’s a better investment I’ll bear that in mind Rog. Also, I was going to try to fit it round non work stuf so my total wanted work would only be about 20 hours per week.

All the best,

fnv

fnv:
Also, I was going to try to fit it round non work stuf so my total wanted work would only be about 20 hours per week.

The regulations require you to have at least 45 hours off in one go every other week and at least 24 hours off in one go EVERY week

ROG:

fnv:
Also, I was going to try to fit it round non work stuf so my total wanted work would only be about 20 hours per week.

The regulations require you to have at least 45 hours off in one go every other week and at least 24 hours off in one go EVERY week

Thats answered a question I was going to ask… :blush: