Is it all worth it?

Hi there,

It been a while since I last posted but I am seeking some advice from people in the know.
Basically I have been thinking about pursuing a career in LGV driving, following in my Grandads footsteps as he was an owner driver working mainly for blue dart ( D.J Munn Transport). But I visit the forum here quite regularly just to see any info that would be of use and often is, but everything seems to be pretty much doom and gloom for a new driver, Is it really that bad far a newcomer to the industry in terms of actually finding a job? My main proble is I am 22years old and I am really excited to move into this field but with a recent mortgage I dont want to move from my current job as a car salesman after getting my licence to find I can’t get a job.
If anyone knows of decent training schools in Stoke On Trent and anywhere that may take on new drivers could you please post and let me know

Cheers Guys

There have been quite a few posts from newbies around the UK recently stating that after they pass their LGV test(s), they are increasingly finding it difficult to get work with most employers and agencies insisting on 2 years experience.

It has never been easy to get that first foot on the ladder but I think the current economic situation has made it worse.

As, it seems, you only have to hold the licence for 2 years before being let in the door, then all I can suggest to those looking to go for it, is to get the licence 2 years before it is needed - daft, but that seems to be the way it is for some.

If I was going to get my LGV nowadays then I would research the local job market before parting with any money. Then, if I still wanted to get my LGV, I would stay in my current job, whatever that was, and perhaps try to get a day every other weekend as a bit of extra money and to gain a little experience.

Link to weekend driving whilst still in another job.

The occasional shift done at the weekend might even pay for the licence over a 2 year period. For arguments sake, lets say I did 1 day a month for £100 a shift - that would soon build up over 24 months.

Once it got close to the 2 years of holding the licence, I would then seriously go for a full time LGV job.

I know not everyone is experiencing the ‘Brick wall’ but I would advise keeping all options open.

I’ve added this to the first page of this thread :smiley:

tachograph:
To be completely honest, regardless of age I don’t think I would really recommend anyone parting with hard earned money to train as an HGV driver in the current economical climate unless they have a job waiting at the end of it.
It seems that companies aren’t advertising jobs and agencies are taking the ■■■■, the simple fact is that at the moment there are more available drivers than jobs and that situation probably won’t change any time soon, at this time of year it should be the agencies that are desperately trying to get drivers regardless of experience but that doesn’t appear to be the case, there will always be those that get lucky but on the whole I would say that peoples money would probably be better spent on other things that have more chance of leading to full time employment.
With more regulation and higher cost for training it has to be asked "economically is it worth it".

decent training schools in Stoke On Trent

Send a PM to a member called bugcos - he lives in Stoke and was an LGV instructor in that area.

JayLNix:
Hi there,

It been a while since I last posted but I am seeking some advice from people in the know.
Basically I have been thinking about pursuing a career in LGV driving, following in my Grandads footsteps as he was an owner driver working mainly for blue dart ( D.J Munn Transport). But I visit the forum here quite regularly just to see any info that would be of use and often is, but everything seems to be pretty much doom and gloom for a new driver, Is it really that bad far a newcomer to the industry in terms of actually finding a job? My main proble is I am 22years old and I am really excited to move into this field but with a recent mortgage I dont want to move from my current job as a car salesman after getting my licence to find I can’t get a job.
If anyone knows of decent training schools in Stoke On Trent and anywhere that may take on new drivers could you please post and let me know

Cheers Guys

im 22 aswell and have my class 1 licence, i wouldnt advise you to leave your current job though by all means if youw ant to get your licence get it and wait till the economy picks up again. i find it really hard right now to get work which is a first because works usually been pouring in for me.

cheers for the replies, it might be an idea to get the licence like you say Rog and then I can do the odd job and gradually build up experience before going for a full time position.
Just on another point I heard that James Irlam will recruit you and train you up but you have to pay them back out of your wages when you go full time.
And one other thing, sorry to keep rabbiting on, but obviously I would like some feedback on the job itself, I have always wanted to do it as it has always been in my family and I have always been around trucks but the question that every one asks me is Well won’t you find it boring? I am wondering is it a boring job, bear in mind that I am a car salesman and that is mind numbing at time.

Cheers

James Irlam may have done that in the past but now they are part of ‘‘the stobart group’’ it may be different. No harm in asking though.

a couple of transport firms that also do training so MAY have the same deal are…

Bassetts @ Tittensor (between Stoke and Stone on A34)

Coopers of Winsford (on the big industrial estate i think)

Both of the above run C & C+E vehicles.

Try some of the agencies for van or 7.5t work to fit around your current job. It may change your mind or make you more determined. Also it all counts as experience it doesnt have to be in an artic. Most employers will view you as more flexible in your approach to work if you’ve had experience of different types of vehicle.

Best of luck and only you will know what the right decision is for you AND your family.