Is it me........?

…or has there been a sudden upsurge in transport over the last couple of weeks. I’m only speaking from a local view point but I’m usually on the M6 in the Midlands every day & a few months back it was dead as a dodo, but just latley there seems to be load of freight on there & the surrounding areas.

Or am I imagining things ?

I went to hill hire at horwich on tuesday to take a trl back. When i went to the offices i was asked if we had some more trls coming back as they need them .When i went to the trl park to drop my trl of the yard was almost empty

There will be mixed opinions on this one mate. Looking at the other side of the coin I was talking to a driver who had just been layed off from Stobarts at Stoke howver IMO things are on the up.

Secretelephant:
…or has there been a sudden upsurge in transport over the last couple of weeks. I’m only speaking from a local view point but I’m usually on the M6 in the Midlands every day & a few months back it was dead as a dodo, but just latley there seems to be load of freight on there & the surrounding areas.

Or am I imagining things ?

My phone rings a lot with agency shifts offers recently… It may be something in it.

things are definately picking up in the past few weeks i’ve actually had to use all my 15 hours spread over thats not happened for abpout 6 months lets hope better times are here to stay

I think it is much better than it was for new drivers as well we are are starting to be able to place new passes more often now fingers crossed and good luck to all you guys looking for work.

Well the whole of August annual European factory holiday shut downs are behind us and it won’t seem long before we’re looking at Xmas. So, there is some chance things should ramp up a bit.

The car scrappage scheme has had a marked effect on new car sales, so that should help the transporter boys.

Interesting to read that Stobarts were laying off when they have so recently been advertising for casual drivers.

Went past a Stobarts place yesterday, near Knutsford/Maccalsfield, saw about 20/30 Irlams units parked in a row along a fence, guess they were out of work or being sold■■?

ive been getting regular agency work (5/6 shifts a week)for several months now…even had a call this week from an agency i havnt worked for for 12 months asking if im looking for work. :slight_smile:
oh…and some of my work has been for stobarts…

According to radio a month of so back, the world wide companies had been de-stocking since xmass. No one making everything, just trying to clear everything because sales slow.

Supposedly a month or so ago, they were know running out of things and manufacturing was starting to pick up, so maybe its a knock on effect and things will get better.

I’m agency and at the moment on as many shifts as i want, did the last five days and got offered one today, but i don’t work fridays and saturdays due to other commitments. I’m booked in for Sunday, Monday so far next week, but typically its a phone call midday for a shift the next day, but its pretty steady just now. When the Scottish schools went back a few weeks ago thought maybe die a bit wth people back from holiday, had one week where only did 2 shifts that week but since then been fine. So hoping it stays that way.

we are absolutley run off our feet,the boss has just bought 15 second hand trucks last week and put them straight out with drivers,cant get new ones quick enough.what recession?.tbh,its been like this for us since january,but have noticed it getiing busier over the last few weeks. :sunglasses:

Short sea boxes are picking up thanks to the end of the European holidays coinciding with an upturn in the economy. Although it can still feel a bit “feast or famine” day to day, that’s better than week to week.

im booked to work sun/thursday nights this week. :slight_smile:

We have been busy as hell the last couple of months but that’s normal for us, as volumes are higher over the summer and people are on holiday. We’ll have to see if it holds up once the seaside pubs drop down.