Is it me

Is there something I do not know ,
The amount of drivers who just sit with there engine ticking over at services etc
Currently parked up at Exeter services ( but to early for my liking but collection not ready until 8am tomorrow) go a nice quiet spot car transporter one side then a few tautline general haulage lads then one spot next to me . In pulls Johnny Foreigner curtains round then off for a shower , fair enough now back in his truck on tick over for about 25 mins ffs is it me .

Happy Trucker1:
The amount of drivers who just sit with there engine ticking over at services etc
Currently parked up at Exeter services ( but to early for my liking but collection not ready until 8am tomorrow) go a nice quiet spot car transporter one side then a few tautline general haulage lads then one spot next to me . In pulls Johnny Foreigner curtains round then off for a shower , fair enough now back in his truck on tick over for about 25 mins ffs is it me .

One of the MANY reasons I NEVER overnight park in services, which is bad enough in it’s self …but at half past 4? :open_mouth: ?
Wtf you gonna do for rest of day and all night?

There are 2 places within 5 minutes of you where you could have parked, got a decent meal,.maybe a pint,.and no knobheads to contend with.
Was planning one of em myself tonight, but got held up.

robroy:

Happy Trucker1:

One of the MANY reasons I never park in services, which is bad enough in it’s self …but at half past 4? :open_mouth: ?

There are 2 places within 5 minutes of you where you could have parked, got a decent meal,.maybe a pint,.and no knobheads to contend with.

Totally agree , only been back on the road for the past 2.5 years probably do about 4/6nights out a month average so only just getting use to the off road parking so to speak and where to stay . Even though I’m based about 80 miles up the road I very rarely get sent this way ( if so usually a day run ) usually get sent north west & Glasgow area so I am starting to get to know where to park up that way , was sent south east last week and ended up in the hell hole south mimes , saying that I did have a decent kip didn’t park up until late and weather was awful so was confined to cab anyway.
I was actually parked up at 1545 not 1630 so even worse , was contemplating marsh barton or either sowton estate but thought it would be too early parking on an industrial area ,
Was tempted to drive to the large Lidl rdc can’t remember if someone told me you can park there overnight wasn’t sure , starting to make a dossier of places to stay because these services ( forget the rip off ) I swear attracts the idiot drivers as do some of the truck stops .
Will be off for a walk in a bit , before I go stir crazy

I am fed and showered and on the bunk at j24 tonight.

All quiet so far though last time I stopped here a couple of blingy Scanias tucked in beside me and had a loud chat to one another for what felt like an hour.
To be fair I doubt it was later than 7pm.

I see the upside of an early stop and early depart as giving me better odds at finding a space at some locations. I’ve parked at Beaconsfield before at not much after 4pm and there is not much left in the truck parking ‘proper’.

Sounds like hell on earth this tramping rubbish.

Why you lot don’t do days is beyond me.

eagerbeaver:

You may be on to something there :smiley: :smiley:

To answer the o/p perhaps he was cooking? I’ve just parked up and I’ve just run the engine for around 15 minutes to boil my big household kettle (I’ll fill my flask now so that I have around nine cups worth tomorrow) and I nuked a meal to eat. Perhaps my batteries could’ve taken the battering but I’ll opt for fast tickover to power my inverter secure in the knowledge that it’ll start in the morning with no problems.

eagerbeaver:

Not me any more may do 1/4 nights out a month , stay in the yard secure and good pub less than a mile away from yard , ain’t done a “Night out !” In 3 weeks and don’t miss them :wink: :grimacing:

Hehehe whats all this sleeping in a tin box malarkey? Im a day man me, I like me own bed! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

robroy:

Happy Trucker1:

One of the MANY reasons I NEVER overnight park in services, which is bad enough in it’s self …but at half past 4? :open_mouth: ?

Exeter arms was due to close last time I went in few months back.

Jack-knife:

robroy:

Happy Trucker1:

Exeter arms was due to close last time I went in few months back.

Duke of York next door. :bulb:

Parked at one of my regular drops tonight, guy there I’ve got to know over the years who I now call a mate, picked me up.at half 7, and we’ve been to a Devon country pub… and just won the quiz… :sunglasses: :smiley:
This tramping job ain’t too bad Beaver Boy…sometimes. :sunglasses:

But ■■■■ yer MSAs.for me.

Btw opposition at pub quiz left a lot to be desired, so not much of a challenge. :laughing:

It’s you that has the problem yes lol. 16.30 and you’re taking issue with the next door engine running! Could be cooking his meal in the microwave? It’s a motorway service station ffs going to be noisy.

Anybody got an update on Exeter Arms closure.
Is it actually true?
You would think compared with other same type small town pubs it would be doing ok.
Is it about 30 quid to park?
I’ve seen in excess of around 10 trucks on there, that’s 300 quid a night at least, plus the regulars, plus other drinks…more than what other small pubs make I would think.
It would be a shame if it closed, and last time I was in the one next door they had stopped doing meals. :unamused:

blue estate:

eagerbeaver:

Not me any more may do 1/4 nights out a month , stay in the yard secure and good pub less than a mile away from yard , ain’t done a “Night out !” In 3 weeks and don’t miss them :wink: :grimacing:

So if you’re not nighting out away you stay in the yard instead of going home?

toonsy:

blue estate:

eagerbeaver:

That’s what years of being class 2 does for you mate. Messes with your mind :wink:

Imagine being asked what you do for a living…" erm, well mate I’m homeless all week " :laughing: Robroy keeps begging me to stay at my gaff, I’ve instructed my butler to arrange for the lawn mower to be moved from the shed.

[zb] him, he can stay in there. (After he’s cut the grass… :arrow_right:)

toonsy:

blue estate:

eagerbeaver:

Traffic getting home is pants of a night at 5pm

robroy:
Is it actually true?
You would think compared with other same type small town pubs it would be doing ok.
I’ve seen in excess of around 10 trucks on there, that’s 300 quid a night at least, plus the regulars, plus other drinks…more than what other small pubs make I would think.
It would be a shame if it closed, and last time I was in the one next door they had stopped doing meals. :unamused:

Always the good ones eh. Anybody think the msa are buying them to build houses on to leave us no alternative

Jack-knife:

robroy:
Is it actually true?

Always the good ones eh. Anybody think the msa are buying them to build houses on to leave us no alternative

So the truck.park is being built on then. :unamused:
Never mind, didn’t the Govt promise to provide a whole host of new parks with facilities to make this job attractive?
We’lll just have to wait for that then…

And wait.

And wait.

And …oh ■■■■ it.

blue estate:

Maybe wait a bit and leave at 6? Wasting an hour is better than wasting a night away from home when not needed?

I dont see any real reason to stay at work that doesn’t have an answer for it.

Cost of travelling? Is there nothing closer to home that removed the travelling, therefore you can effectively drop a bit of wages and it will have zero effect because you’d not be earning but woukdnt have to whack it on fuel.

Time the journey takes? As above hang around a bit, leave for home a bit later, look something closer?

I’m not saying you’re wrong by the way, we all have our own circumstances and that, I just can’t envisage myself ever willingly stopping at work, if that did become the case for me I’d be changing my work sharpish.

toonsy:

blue estate:

Maybe wait a bit and leave at 6? Wasting an hour is better than wasting a night away from home when not needed?

Cost of travelling? Is there nothing closer to home that removed the travelling, therefore you can effectively drop a bit of wages and it will have zero effect because you’d not be earning but woukdnt have to whack it on fuel.

Time the journey takes? As above hang around a bit, leave for home a bit later, look something closer?

I’m not saying you’re wrong by the way, we all have our own circumstances and that, I just can’t envisage myself ever willingly stopping at work, if that did become the case for me I’d be changing my work sharpish.

You just don’t grasp the reasons do you ! I don’t have to justify my after work choices to any one if they’re not hurting any one , odd may it seem to some others will understand
1st I’m single , live with my Mum and olde brother , also rest of family live close by so don’t need to be home in week unless some thing drastic happens
2nd I work with a couple of good blokes and we do socolise after work
3 rd I’ve got certain health problems that the quietness and solitude of an evening help
4th I’m a tank polisher :blush:
Sorry if you can’t still grasp that , I suppose that’s what working for large firms does for you Vs my 10 co workers in total

blue estate:

toonsy:

blue estate:

You just don’t grasp the reasons do you ! I don’t have to justify my after work choices to any one if they’re not hurting any one , odd may it seem to some others will understand
1st I’m single , live with my Mum and olde brother , also rest of family live close by so don’t need to be home in week unless some thing drastic happens
2nd I work with a couple of good blokes and we do socolise after work
3 rd I’ve got certain health problems that the quietness and solitude of an evening help
4th I’m a tank polisher :blush:
Sorry if you can’t still grasp that , I suppose that’s what working for large firms does for you Vs my 10 co workers in total

Steady on precious :unamused:

I did say, and I quote “I’m not saying you’re wrong by the way, we all have our own circumstances and that” but I guess in your rush to flob your toys out the pram you either missed it chose to ignore it for extra flobbing dummy effect :unamused:

Also it’s nothing to do with a big company mentality. If you wish to make barbs like that as a reference I was part of a two man operation tramping class one around Europe whilst you were choking on your farleys rusk and ■■■ milk. But cheers for aspersion anyway even though yes I do work for a big company now but that certainly hasn’t been the case always.

In no way was it a pop at you, I was simply saying I couldn’t operate life like that. I wasn’t disrespectful about you in anyway, again simply saying why I couldn’t or wouldnt stay at work. It was you who made the personal remarks (ref big company, insinuating its all id ever known. If only…). Frankly i couldn’t give a flying fig what you do, just that I wouldn’t, but hey ho.