Is hoyer really as bad as they say

rob22888:

Discodeano:
The money I have been offered is good about 4.50 more an hour than I get now. But it’s the shift work that will get me I think, I do 2 full loads a day and that can take anywhere from 5-13 hours guaranteed 10 hours pay + ot so all is not bad as is very easy and I don’t do many petrol stations.
I’m on days mon-fri

As I said it’s not all about money as I like a life but it could be useful for the house I just don’t want to regret it if I say no.

Everyone goes on about fuel tankers as being the ultimate, but I wouldn’t do it simply because off the shift patterns.

You say it’s not all about money for you, if you manage just fine on your current money why [zb] up your homelife in pursuit of a few more bob?

I’ve done antisocial shifts in the past in the pursuit if money, came to the conclusion in the end it’s not worth it. Got a Mon-Fri day shift job and haven’t looked back, evenings and weekends for family end of.

It was the ultimate for me Rob.I did not know anyone that was not happy with the job. Best job I ever had and apart from the great wages there were other good perks as well.
I was lucky because I did days only and it was job and finish. I was usually finished by 2 sometimes earlier.
My last job involved shifts including nightshift and although we were never busy I hated it.
As far as I know petrol tanker drivers do not do night shift so I do not see how it can be that bad.
Everyone to their own though.

albion1971:
As far as I know petrol tanker drivers do not do night shift.

Yes they do, parked up empty trucks don’t earn money, remember that[emoji16]

Pimpdaddy:

albion1971:
As far as I know petrol tanker drivers do not do night shift.

Yes they do, parked up empty trucks don’t earn money, remember that[emoji16]

There are plenty trucks parked up at night time, always has been always will however I presume if these drivers are doing night shift they are delivering to garages that are open 24 hours? Why pay higher pay rates when they could deliver during the day?
Night shift suits some people quite well but I agree when you are chopping and changing all the time it can be quite tiring.Some can handle it and some cannot.

albion1971:
Why pay higher pay rates when they could deliver during the day?

No idea about why pay higher rates, maybe the customers pay a premium for night time deliveries, I don’t know. Hoyer Petrolog is flat rate no matter what time of day or week you’re rostered to work from what I’ve heard.

albion1971:
I presume if these drivers are doing night shift they are delivering to garages that are open 24 hours?

A ‘garage’ doesn’t necessarily have to be open in order to carry out a delivery.

albion1971:
Night shift suits some people quite well but I agree when you are chopping and changing all the time it can be quite tiring.Some can handle it and some cannot.

+1

Pimpdaddy:

albion1971:
Why pay higher pay rates when they could deliver during the day?

No idea about why pay higher rates, Hoyer Petrolog is flat rate no matter what time of day or week you’re rostered to work from what I’ve heard.

albion1971:
I presume if these drivers are doing night shift they are delivering to garages that are open 24 hours?

A ‘garage’ doesn’t necessarily have to be open in order to carry out a delivery.

albion1971:

+1

Ah ok as I said the guy I spoke to never told me his rates.

Yeah possibly not infact probably better for delivering when shut. No idiots wanting a light for their ■■■.

albion1971:

Don’t worry it’s common among truck drivers, hardly tell the truth about pay & conditions…

albion1971:
probably better for delivering when shut. No idiots wanting a light for their ■■■.

Some of the drivers themselves smoke around the vehicle, makes you wonder who the idiot is[emoji15]
I tried to ask #dieseldave about sparking up around a tanker, (the vapour recovery system to be specific) but as usual I was ignored…

Pimpdaddy:

albion1971:

Don’t worry it’s common among truck drivers, hardly tell the truth about pay & conditions…

albion1971:
probably better for delivering when shut. No idiots wanting a light for their ■■■.

Some of the drivers themselves smoke around the vehicle, makes you wonder who the idiot is[emoji15]
I tried to ask #dieseldave about sparking up around a tanker, (the vapour recovery system to be specific) but as usual I was ignored…

How’s that positive attitude going? :smiley:

Oh, not so well! :open_mouth:

Pimpdaddy:

albion1971:

albion1971:

Woo hoo coronation streets fin ya dancer. :grimacing:

Pimpdaddy:

albion1971:

albion1971:

Now you are showing your true colour. I know there are some brain dead drivers but that would take the biscuit. I know standards have dropped a lot over the years but I doubt any tanker driver is that stupid.

albion1971:
I know standards have dropped a lot over the years but I doubt any tanker driver is that stupid.

Wanna bet?

albion1971:
Now you are showing your true colour.

How long? :open_mouth:

I deleted my post as i dont work for Hoyers and im only going on what ive been told although i dont dout my what i have been told as for the rest just do your research and be sure before you jump into it because its not as easy as it looks thats all im saying and its certainly not a glamorous job

I don’t post much on here but will give it a go.

I worked full time for Hoyer in 2001 left to do other things and returned via an agency in 2011 and have been doing 6th months work on the tankers ( my choice ) for the past four years.

There are different contracts that they employ drivers on the pay ranges from £17 to £21 depending on what your on and how long you have been with the company.

You get to deliver to petrol stations, Shell, Esso, BP etc. Some drivers deliver Aviation fuel and some do industrial deliveries.

The shift start times are between 4am & 6am but most of the drivers are in by 5am and on average you get three to four deliveries on a day shift. The jobs have times allocated to them so job one might be 3hr 35min the second 2hrs 50m the third 2hs 10mins so you get paid 8hrs 35min plus and additional 1hr 10min to cover paper work and meal breaks.
If you get delayed there is a bit of a bun fight with paperwork to get paid and sometimes the first hour of any delay is down to you.

The night shift is much the same with three to four jobs on average and the shift starts at 4pm to 6pm and its job and finish.

The shift pattern varies some contacts are four on four off whilst others are a bit more complex.

The training is very good and covers everything, yes you do get checked up on and they do have on occasion people parked up in cars watching you unload at garages. Your driving gets checked and you get observed loading the truck on occasions.

Then again its not been unknown for a driver to make a mistake and put the unleaded in the diesel so they company have got to do what they consider necessary to avoid mistakes.

If you ■■■■ the truck or make a delivery of loading error you will probably get a written warning and some retraining but like any company you run the risk of getting sacked if you do a major ■■■■ up
but I am of the impression its generally a three strike rule and you out.

There is a strong union membership of Unite by most drivers so you can make your own mind up on how you feel about unions.

These are my own personal observations and I suppose the big question is would I work for them full time?

The answer is No because I don’t like the shift patterns or driving anymore and I am getting old and grumpy,
but the money’s ok

Sorry if this is a bit long winded but hope it helps those wanting to work for Hoyer.

Bking:
I repair their their trucks and tankers and by what I see of them they,like most companies,are run by a useless bunch of pricks who are full of their own self importance and arrogance.
In other words a load of jerks who think that their drivers are lesser beings.As with all “companies” now the people who actually do the work are trash.

Think I would rather stick pins in my eyes than work for these shysters.

No uncertain terms there then. :stuck_out_tongue:

Good post that oftd, it’s not for me either.

Bking:
I repair their their trucks and tankers and by what I see of them they,like most companies,are run by a useless bunch of pricks who are full of their own self importance and arrogance.
In other words a load of jerks who think that their drivers are lesser beings.As with all “companies” now the people who actually do the work are trash.

Think I would rather stick pins in my eyes than work for these shysters.

A very balanced view…chip on both shoulders. Slag the company and their managers, but add they are like most companies, no help at all to the OP. I’ve worked for Hoyer on the Esso contract for 15 years. They want their pound of flesh but it’s a good job in my opinion. I’ve said on here many times, it doesn’t suit everyone but it certainly isn’t a bad job, and I’ve always found them a decent employer. I’m surprised you know so much about the managers though, most of the technicians I speak to have never even met them…perhaps you have formed an opinion based on what you’ve heard of them rather than what you’ve seen of them?

Some people seem to have a chip on their shoulder about any managers in general regardless of where they are or what they’re like.

otfd:
The training is very good

.perhaps you have formed an opinion based on what you’ve heard of them rather than what you’ve seen of them?

That seems to be what most people do that have never worked on petrol tankers. I do not know anything about Hoyer but the one driver I did speak to seemed to be more than happy with the job.
I have worked on quite a few type of vehicles but without doubt tankers was the best by far. Not only money wise but job satisfaction and conditions. Also the group of guys I worked with were all top blokes. Most other places were full of knumbskulls.
I know the job has changed since I did it but I am sure it is still far better than most. Not for everyone though. It’s obvious not all are capable. A lot of jelousy involved as well I would imagine. :unamused:

Don’t listen to most of the bad news stories about companies. You will always find someone with something negative to say.
They will tell you its crap and the firm dont know wat they doing etc. Thats usually cos they cant hack it.

Speak to Hoyer and see what they say, if you get the job, do it and if it isnt what they said it was like, then speak to them and move on if it dont work.

Make your own own mind up.