Is 45 too old to emigrate?

So here’s the craic. I’ve just turned 45, the mrs [zb] off out about 2years ago, kids now at college, blah, blah…she got the house, the new car and pretty much everything else I worked and paid for :imp: …so I’m now on my own.

I was on the ferry the other day and had seen the usual ads for drivers wanted in Canada in one of the transport mags, they’re always advertising on the jobcentre here in Ireland too. Lately I’ve been thinking maybe I’d like to give it a go, what would I have to lose? Saved up a few quid, no debts, got lots of years under my belt so why not? But then I don’t know if I’m now too old ?

na…i did it at 48yrs not a problem…jimmy.

Never to old better to regret doing it then regret not trying it.(coming from a 26 year old) I heard it somewhere :slight_smile:.

I heard that Canada is not what you think its gonna be. Long hours and poor pay and conditions can be bad. i could be wrong but i deffo read it on here a few times.

I am a noob so dont let it put you off. I trained with a 50 year old on cat C a few weeks ago. He wants continental work so maybe thats a plan if you fancy a change :smiley:

if you fancy further afield go to NZ then get all ur permits and your in Oz then

DWYNE:
I heard that Canada is not what you think its gonna be. Long hours and poor pay and conditions can be bad. i could be wrong but i deffo read it on here a few times.

I am a noob so dont let it put you off. I trained with a 50 year old on cat C a few weeks ago. He wants continental work so maybe thats a plan if you fancy a change :smiley:

Appreciate the reply… done plenty of continental work myself over the years, been all over Europe on tankers, general & fridges and loved every minute of it. Just fancied a new challenge before I’m too old… seeing new places out on some real distance work.

I’m on a couple of Facebook groups with drivers over in Canada and they paint a very different picture, there’s loads of work, two weeks out and better pay than you would ever get over here.
Very tempted to do the same and for what it’s worth I’m 41.
Think I would in your position, already be booking a flight over. Earn big money and a big F Off to the ex etc.

long hours,and low pay…yup…same as uk… do your homework and there is plenty o decent employers ,phone calls,emails even come and visit an knock on doors…ohhh and pick the province you want to live in very carefully!
jimmy.

JIMBO47:
long hours,and low pay…yup…same as uk… do your homework and there is plenty o decent employers ,phone calls,emails even come and visit an knock on doors…ohhh and pick the province you want to live in very carefully!
jimmy.

I’ve got family in Toronto but I really liked Calgary when I was last over there… what’s that like for work?

Any tips ?

Not at all, the world is our oyster and we are all free.

I don,t drive but moved over to Calgary at the age of 52. I,m a warehouse Supervisor in one of the biggest warehouse,s in Calgary (944,000 Sq ft) and yes there is lots of work , but it also what you make of it . I won,t go back to the UK

Plenty of driving work in alberta but the cost of living is dearer than the prarie provinces.
You wont be rich driving a truck in Canada or anywhere and you will work longer and harderthan you would in europe.
But with a decent job you can have a decent life with a better house than you could have here. If you have no ties id say give it a go. I liked it but family reasons brought me back.
That didnt work out and once ive sorted things out hrre im considering giving it another go.

If you have a few quid book a week or two over there when flights come down in price after the summer, hire a car and get round looking and making enquiries. At least then you should be able to get a good idea of how things are without committing yourself.

hi just out of interest what is the age limit to drive a truck in canada

nick2008:
if you fancy further afield go to NZ then get all ur permits and your in Oz then

I’ve heard NZ government has stopped allowing Emigrations based on Truck driving. NZ employers have been told to train locals instead

Whenever I see threads such as this and people claim the wages, conditions etc are far better than the UK I have to wonder why… the locals aren’t queing up for the jobs and the jobs are being advertised abroad.
Surely the fact that they need to look to the UK for drivers tells that the job is not all it’s cracked up to be.

del949:
Whenever I see threads such as this and people claim the wages, conditions etc are far better than the UK I have to wonder why… the locals aren’t queing up for the jobs and the jobs are being advertised abroad.

I imagine that a similar question is being asked on Trucknet.lt with regards to working in Britain.

Anyway I digress, 45 is too old to go on an 18 to 30 holiday, to wear them ridiculous red trousers with the baggy gusset, and to wear a hat backwards. It is not however too old to whatever else your heart desires. We’re here for a good time, not a long time. Go for it dude.

Anyway I digress, 45 is too old to go on an 18 to 30 holiday, to wear them ridiculous red trousers with the baggy gusset, and to wear a hat backwards. It is not however too old to whatever else your heart desires. We’re here for a good time, not a long time. Go for it dude.
[/quote]
What he said :sunglasses:

In any case who knows where it will take you? Life is a journey, one thing’s for sure, it will be a life changing experience.

What have you got to lose?

the maoster:

del949:

I imagine that a similar question is being asked on Trucknet.lt with regards to working in Britain.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

…what are those trousers all about, who decided that having the crotch around your knees is a good look ■■?

Yes any job that has to advertise for drivers half wY round the world isnt going to be great but remember your starting again there are good jobs that will become an option in time.