Is 45 too old to emigrate?

TJ82:

nick2008:
if you fancy further afield go to NZ then get all ur permits and your in Oz then

I’ve heard NZ government has stopped allowing Emigrations based on Truck driving. NZ employers have been told to train locals instead

As someone who has a lifelong NZ work permit and residency …The advice I would give is GO to NZ and find a job that cannot be filled within the timespan by a local and you are in …If you find the right company they will help you…mine did . When I tried at 38 to move to NZ the paperwork nightmare from the embassy was huge, then having a cup of coffee with a worker he said unofficially…just go on holiday and find a job !
I did , booked a two month return and did not return until the earthquake in Christchurch, by then with a missus from here.

markoc:
… But then I don’t know if I’m now too old ?

No.

Go for it, but remember there will be days when you think what have I done, days when you think I want to go home. But stick it out and in six months you will wonder what took you so long to do it.

As someone said, advertised jobs might not be the best going, but you have to start somewhere and once you are settled then you can think about moving jobs.

What ever you decide, good luck.

the maoster:
We’re here for a good time, not a long time. Go for it dude.

Wise words indeed, 45 ain’t too old to do anything (even wearing poocatchers and a backwards hat). Go for it especially with your personal circumstances.

If I was you I would give it a try if I was single I would have ■■■■■■ off years ago. This country gets worse by the day. I would love to do the ice roads would be a good experience!!

Don’t think the recession touched Canada.

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: aye the big boys that advertise in uk etc for drivers are no really the best jobs going :bulb: :bulb: …but when you look a bit deeper a lot o smaller companies out in the sticks cant get drivers!!.

think about it…drive a truck for 50k a yr (seems average for work permits)…or 75k ++ on a easier job on oil field work on hourly pay.
younger Canadians dont wont to drive distance,no social life etc…so enter the guys from europe…india… :unamused: :unamused: .
different provinces have different rules about getting residence MB,SK…among the best,AB takes a fair while…
mind you will need to pass an English or french exam ,reading writing ,speaking to get residence…at450$ even though you are born an bred brit an know only english :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:
jimmy.

del949:
Whenever I see threads such as this and people claim the wages, conditions etc are far better than the UK I have to wonder why… the locals aren’t queing up for the jobs and the jobs are being advertised abroad.
Surely the fact that they need to look to the UK for drivers tells that the job is not all it’s cracked up to be.

The fact that they need to recruit overseas doesn’t necessarily mean that all jobs are crap. That is the case here, there are so many good jobs that nobody with half a brain would work for H&R etc unless they have to. As an immigrant on a work permit, you have to…but not for long.

If you want to hang around a lot and sit in traffic, go to New Brunswick, if you’re French, go to Quebec (& stay there :laughing: ) Ontario don’t nominate you for PR. If you want to be a lorry driver the rest of your life then Manitoba’s the place to be. Saskatchewan is similar to Manitoba, just without trees and Alberta has the worst driving jobs at first (H&R) but the best opportunities after PR because of the oil $$$$.

newmercman:

del949:
Whenever I see threads such as this and people claim the wages, conditions etc are far better than the UK I have to wonder why… the locals aren’t queing up for the jobs and the jobs are being advertised abroad.
Surely the fact that they need to look to the UK for drivers tells that the job is not all it’s cracked up to be.

The fact that they need to recruit overseas doesn’t necessarily mean that all jobs are crap. That is the case here, there are so many good jobs that nobody with half a brain would work for H&R etc unless they have to. As an immigrant on a work permit, you have to…but not for long.

If you want to hang around a lot and sit in traffic, go to New Brunswick, if you’re French, go to Quebec (& stay there :laughing: ) Ontario don’t nominate you for PR. If you want to be a lorry driver the rest of your life then Manitoba’s the place to be. Saskatchewan is similar to Manitoba, just without trees and Alberta has the worst driving jobs at first (H&R) but the best opportunities after PR because of the oil $$$$.

Cough , WTF do you mean we have no trees ? You ever been North of Saskatoon or into the Cyprus Hills ? BTW Saskatchewan has a half decent football team who’ll be kicking the snot out of the Bombers come Sunday at 2pm ,read and weep ya ■■■■■■ redneck :laughing: RIDERPRIDE :sunglasses:

you are never too old to do what you want in life,i suggest you go for it and enjoy yourself,you only have one life make the most of it

flat to the mat:

newmercman:

del949:

Cough , WTF do you mean we have no trees ? You ever been North of Saskatoon or into the Cyprus Hills ? BTW Saskatchewan has a half decent football team who’ll be kicking the snot out of the Bombers come Sunday at 2pm ,read and weep ya [zb] redneck :laughing: RIDERPRIDE :sunglasses:

Yeah I’ve been up north and seen some vegetation, I was loading sticks as it happens. Some fine crumpet up in Prince Albert too, had a night out there and had a few beers in a Soprano’s themed bar opposite the nick, they had 1664 on tap, so the next day was painful :cry:

Riders, Bombers, not interested in hand egg at all, haven’t taken to any of their sports, although I’ll watch the Jets fighting until some idiot starts playing hockey, then I lose interest :laughing: