invest

I am in the unusual (for me) position of having some spare cash which is currently earning 3% at the bank (barely covering inflation). As an agency driver I see various businesses and can pry to see how well they are faring. Should I buy some Stobart Group shares? At 92.5p they yield 6.4% and the company is valued at 10.4 times the its earnings (p/e). I would welcome any opinions or alternative suggestions.

Any reason you want to invest in Stobart rather than something totaly unrelated to transport?

Stobart were offering 5% interest on a 5 year bond, i use the Dutch bank Ing Direct of which has been sold to Barclays Uk, which will now offer more protection if it fails.
For having kids, Hanley Econmomical Building Soceity had 5 % interest on child trust bonds,if have a look on Money Supermarket.co.uk.

Any reason you want to invest in Stobart rather than something which will turn a profit?

Montmerency:
Any reason you want to invest in Stobart rather than something which will turn a profit?

No, I suppose Its best to invest in a company/industry of which you have some knowledge. I suppose that I could go for one of the supermarkets, having delivered to all of them and having seen that some are happier and more efficient than others. Or builders merchants ( I also do hiab work). But you’re right, the object is to turn a profit.

It’s never a good idea to buy shares of any description when small investors are piling into them with the enthusiasm that they are now, the market is manipulated by a small pool of large players who lure in the excitable before selling off their own shares en masse, spooking the market and then buying back after the correction, many sensible forecasters are predicting a 20% fall in 2013. Plenty of people got burned buying gold over the last 18 months or so, looks like it’s the turn of shares.

Euro:

Montmerency:

No, I suppose Its best to invest in a company/industry of which you have some knowledge. I suppose that I could go for one of the supermarkets, having delivered to all of them and having seen that some are happier and more efficient than others. Or builders merchants ( I also do hiab work). But you’re right, the object is to turn a profit.

Travis Perkins :wink:

If you have spare cash you could give it to me.I would buy shares in Vodaphone they pay a reasonable dividend.What Harry says about the financial bods pulling in mugs,they call that pumping and dumping.The share price is inflated (pumping) then they all jump ship together and dump their shares causing a collapse.

Under t’mattress! At least you know where it is!

Remember the old adage - don’t invest if you can’t stand the loss.

Off shore accounts used to pay well, but the tax man has put an end to that,unless you invest out of Europe with Joe Lewis trading in Turkey, he is a billionaire American.

toby1234abc:
Off shore accounts used to pay well, but the tax man has put an end to that,unless you invest out of Europe with Joe Lewis trading in Turkey, he is a billionaire American.

Joe Lewis is a British businessman who currently lives in Albany, Bahamas.

Lewis’ total wealth is estimated at $3.8 billion, and he is listed as the 290th richest person of Forbes’ List of billionaires (2012). Forbes reports Lewis is the seventh wealthiest person in Britain.

Lewis was born to a Jewish family above a public house in Roman Road, Bow, London.

Friends Provident in Salisbury have done me well with offshore, those days are long gone, look at the Swiss banks that are being investigated by the USA tax man and being shut down by court orders.

Invest it in GOD

Gold
Oil
Drugs
:smiley:
The last 1 is illegal so I wouldn t bother. :smiley:

I took my savings out of the building society as it was only 0.5%, was only £3k and put it into premium bonds, just before xmas i won £100 which stays in so now i have £3100.

Ok its nothing major but you never know i may get the big one and at least its gaurenteed and you cant loose it.

Madguy :smiling_imp:

ive got quite a sum invested in jupiters europeon fund and it’s making a healthy profit,nearly 20% in the last 12 months. :smiley:

With the RBS losses of £5 billion announced yesterday,I don’t anyone will have any money to invest.
Looks as if we are in for an even bigger hammering from the banks.

Have you any debt - car loan, mortgage etc?
If so, best to pay it all off before investing spare cash.

Bank shares… The only way is up now, and banks always pay a smart divvi

Harry Monk:
It’s never a good idea to buy shares of any description when small investors are piling into them with the enthusiasm that they are now, the market is manipulated by a small pool of large players who lure in the excitable before selling off their own shares en masse, spooking the market and then buying back after the correction, many sensible forecasters are predicting a 20% fall in 2013. Plenty of people got burned buying gold over the last 18 months or so, looks like it’s the turn of shares.

have to aggree with u there harry
wonder is that why that ashley guy sold some of his shares in sport s direct a few days ago

nedflanders:

Harry Monk:

have to aggree with u there harry
wonder is that why that ashley guy sold some of his shares in sport s direct a few days ago

To buy Repubic
chroniclelive.co.uk/north-ea … _page.html

RBS would be a good investment, most of its losses were because of toxic debt & mis selling claim payments which are nearly all cleared now, and the past few years have shown, banks wont be allowed to fail.