Inverter help > please

My mates just sold his 7.5 ton horse box and he’s kindly gave me (buying him few beers :smiley: ) a 12volt 2000w inverter that he had been using for his lights, fridge, microwave etc so my question is how do I go about getting it working in my 24volt daf cf (59reg) ?
He said the guy that fitted it originally had split the batteries because its a 12v in a 24v truck, what does this mean ?
P.s I’m not going to attempt fitting it myself but I don’t want to look like a total numpty when I ask an auto electrician to do it ?

Anyone else using this kind of set up ?

Why would you look a numpty to the spark who fits it? If its wired straight to the batteries then you won’t have to worry, if its through the cig lighter just get a 12 to 24v plug cost a few quid job done.

Just realised you said he made it from 24 to 12v so auto spark or whoever fits it will just hard wire to your batteries. Job done, don’t let it run your batteries down though think the guys with similar run the engine while cooking etc save you a red face after a night out.

OllieNotts:
If its wired straight to the batteries then you won’t have to worry

True

OllieNotts:
if its through the cig lighter just get a 12 to 24v plug cost a few quid job done.

False - a 2000 watt inverter will more than probably melt the cig plug on any truck - it needs to be wired direct to a battery .

If it’s a 12v, then connect the positive and negative to that of only one of the batteries. If you were to connect the positive to one battery and the negative to ANOTHER battery, this would give you 24v.

If you connect the positive and negative to the same battery, not touching the other one then that will put out 12v.

OllieNotts:
Just realised you said he made it from 24 to 12v so auto spark or whoever fits it will just hard wire to your batteries. Job done, don’t let it run your batteries down though think the guys with similar run the engine while cooking etc save you a red face after a night out.

Please ignore this - Ollie seems to be having a moment (no offense Ollie but you need to read the op again )

stagedriver:
If it’s a 12v, then connect the positive and negative to that of only one of the batteries. If you were to connect the positive to one battery and the negative to ANOTHER battery, this would give you 24v.

If you connect the positive and negative to the same battery, not touching the other one then that will put out 12v.

It’s got 4 cables out the back of it > (2 red + 2black)
So these should connect to only one battery ?

glesgatrucker:

stagedriver:

one set of black and red will be the 12 volts going in . the other red and black will be the 240 going out . If you mess up and connect the wrong wires to the wrong terminals its all over .

glesgatrucker:

stagedriver:

Seeing as you’ll be getting an autosparky to wire it up, just give him the inverter, point out it’s a 12v inverter and leave him to it.

If it’s got two black and two red input wires, you’ll probably find that one pair goes to one battery, the other pair to the other battery. This gives you 12v supply at double the amps. If you connect a 12v inverter across one battery, that battery dies quickly and has to be replaced frequently. Connecting to both batteries spreads the draw evenly across both.

If I were you, I think I’d be leaving it for that sparky to look at for you…

I can almost smell melting insulation from here…! :laughing: :laughing:

Electrics can bite hard if you’re not careful mate.

Simon:

glesgatrucker:

stagedriver:

Seeing as you’ll be getting an autosparky to wire it up, just give him the inverter, point out it’s a 12v inverter and leave him to it.

If it’s got two black and two red input wires, you’ll probably find that one pair goes to one battery, the other pair to the other battery. This gives you 12v supply at double the amps. If you connect a 12v inverter across one battery, that battery dies quickly and has to be replaced frequently. Connecting to both batteries spreads the draw evenly across both.

That’s the answer I was looking for I think ?

Truckulent:
If I were you, I think I’d be leaving it for that sparky to look at for you…

I can almost smell melting insulation from here…! :laughing: :laughing:

Electrics can bite hard if you’re not careful mate.

Going to (hopefully) drop into Hannah auto electrical in glasgow next week and ask them to fit it for me when I’m at home, they have done a few other jobs for us and always seem to know what goes where (without any explosions or bangs) :unamused:

A 12V 2000W inverter is no use to you at all on a 24V truck. Sell it and buy a 24V one.

The only way of wiring it up so it works is, as others have said above, to wire it just to one of the two batteries. But this will very quickly destroy the batteries as you will permanently have an imbalance in charge between the two.

Whatever you do don’t even consider connecting it to the ■■■ lighter socket or through a 24V to 12V dropper, you will very quickly blow a fuse or possibly even melt a wire and/or start a fire.

Paul

Simon:

That won’t work though because if you try and connect the two batteries in series and parallel at the same time you’re creating a short circuit which as we all know means a big spark, a lot of heat and then a fire and/or melted batteries. I very much doubt it has two pairs of input wires. I also very much doubt it has a red and a black as output wires unless someone has been messing with it, almost every inverter I’ve ever seen has a normal 3 pin plug for the output.

Paul

OllieNotts:
Why would you look a numpty to the spark who fits it? If its wired straight to the batteries then you won’t have to worry, if its through the cig lighter just get a 12 to 24v plug cost a few quid job done.

oh look, Ollienotts talking ■■■■■■■■ again :unamused:

no offence mate, but, why don’t you leave out the giving advice to people who actually know what they are talking about, it will save you all the embarrassment of looking like a complete ■■■■■■■■ :wink:

It definitely has 2red + 2black on the rear and it has 2x3 pin plug sockets on the front ?
It’s a ring 2000 model ? Tried to upload pics but can’t seem to from my phone

I don’t get this electrical stuff, so ive got à 12v 1500watt inverter can i plug it into thé 12v ■■■ lighter and only run à laptop onit

shuttlespanker:

OllieNotts:

no offence mate, but, why don’t you leave out the giving advice to people who actually know what they are talking about, it will save you all the embarrassment of looking like a complete ■■■■■■■■ :wink:

This is no good Spanky I need to clean the keyboard after spitting coffee all over it now :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

adam1987:
I don’t get this electrical stuff, so ive got à 12v 1500watt inverter can i plug it into thé 12v ■■■ lighter and only run à laptop onit

No

If my oldskool maths is correct, you’d need around 125 amps (correct me if I’m wrong, I think it was watts divide by volts = amps?) to run a 1500w inverter… average ciggy lighter might be 15 amp?

shuttlespanker:

OllieNotts:

Oh look, you being a nob head again what a shock.
Wasn’t thinking when I posted that few too many shandies. At least it’s an excuse you’re just naturally a massive prick at all times.