Inverter help > please

beefy4605:
one set of black and red will be the 12 volts going in . the other red and black will be the 240 going out .

Please don’t listen to this ■■■■■■■■.

waynedl:

adam1987:
I don’t get this electrical stuff, so ive got à 12v 1500watt inverter can i plug it into thé 12v ■■■ lighter and only run à laptop onit

No

If my oldskool maths is correct, you’d need around 125 amps (correct me if I’m wrong, I think it was watts divide by volts = amps?) to run a 1500w inverter… average ciggy lighter might be 15 amp?

Cheers
Seems like I’ve wasted £80 o well

waynedl:

adam1987:
I don’t get this electrical stuff, so ive got à 12v 1500watt inverter can i plug it into thé 12v ■■■ lighter and only run à laptop onit

No

If my oldskool maths is correct, you’d need around 125 amps (correct me if I’m wrong, I think it was watts divide by volts = amps?) to run a 1500w inverter… average ciggy lighter might be 15 amp?

125 A only if you put a temporary 1500W load on the inverter.A laptop will typically draw less than 100w.

However,back to the OP. I personally would not use this dual input inverter on a lorry.The second input is meant to be connected to a second 12v (leisure) battery,wired in parallel via a split charge relay e.g. in a campervan.Your lorry will not have a split charge relay as the batteries are in series.Connecting to one battery would as has been said cause an imbalance and knock that battery out quicker.Anyway,see what your electrician thinks.

repton:
A 12V 2000W inverter is no use to you at all on a 24V truck. Sell it and buy a 24V one.

The only way of wiring it up so it works is, as others have said above, to wire it just to one of the two batteries. But this will very quickly destroy the batteries as you will permanently have an imbalance in charge between the two.

Whatever you do don’t even consider connecting it to the ■■■ lighter socket or through a 24V to 12V dropper, you will very quickly blow a fuse or possibly even melt a wire and/or start a fire.

Paul

I’ve wired up high draw 12v accessories like this and it’s not ideal but doesn’t wreck them that quickly - particularly if you’re tramping as the batteries won’t last forever anyway. The main thing that really wrecks them is total discharge of either. Yes it’s certainly true the battery you wire to won’t fully charge but if you’re wanting batteries to last a long time you could put a 12v smart charger just on that one battery at the weekend to keep it healthy.

I haven’t thought about it much, so might not work, but I suppose you could wire to both and use a high-rated switch to switch between them but is all starts to be aggravation if he’s got a 12v might as well stick on ebay and get the right thing.

adam1987:

Theoretically but I’d get either a smaller inverter or an adapter to plug the laptop straight into the lighter socket as otherwise you’re carting round an unecessarily large lump in the cab and asking for trouble if, for example, someone else uses the truck.

I refer you to my previous post… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You have a 24v truck and a 12v inverter…think of it as a square peg and a round hole.

Just take the advice offered earlier and buy an inverter of the correct voltage, then get the sparky to sort it for you. You can’t plug high demand appliances into the accessory sockets in the truck as they will have either a 15A or even 10A fuse and you will blow it.

The sparky will sort it for you and hard wire it in correctly. :smiley:

glesgatrucker…e bay! sell or swap your inverter. it is no good for a lorry! 24v inverter IS needed. once bought get your auto electrician to run cable into cab to an anderson plug. connect opposite end of anderson plug to the wires from the inverter… :bulb: then when on your holidays you can take YOUR inverter out the lorry so noone else can wreck it :sunglasses: (just in case)…anderson plug is a heavy duty two pin plug normally used to connect 24v heavy duty electrics such as tail lifts between a unit and a trailer. always run your engine when using a heavy draw appliance such as a microwave, dont listen to these guys that tell you they dont run the engine and never had a flat battery its only gonna be a matter of time! the likes of a tv or a laptop shouldnt be much of a problem due to their low drain. hope this helps. ATB

its trouble:
glesgatrucker…e bay! sell or swap your inverter. it is no good for a lorry! 24v inverter IS needed. once bought get your auto electrician to run cable into cab to an anderson plug. connect opposite end of anderson plug to the wires from the inverter… :bulb: then when on your holidays you can take YOUR inverter out the lorry so noone else can wreck it :sunglasses: (just in case)…anderson plug is a heavy duty two pin plug normally used to connect 24v heavy duty electrics such as tail lifts between a unit and a trailer. always run your engine when using a heavy draw appliance such as a microwave, dont listen to these guys that tell you they dont run the engine and never had a flat battery its only gonna be a matter of time! the likes of a tv or a laptop shouldnt be much of a problem due to their low drain. hope this helps. ATB

Same way my 300 watt inverter is done. extension lead (proper heat resistant and high voltage)with anderson plug on is fed into cab to a standard household 4 socket extension adapter, my kettle,oven and inverter all have a 3 pin house plug fitted and with the right fuse as well. makes life so much easier cos i can take it with me from cab to cab if ever (rarely) i need to. :wink:

Just a wee update for anyone thats interested,
The auto spark said it could be used in a lorry but was really a standard 12v motorhome with leisure batteries inverter ?
So i put it on gumtree last sunday night for £125ono and sold it on the monday for £100 ka ching :slight_smile:

Good result. :smiley: Thanks for the update,always useful.