Inverness bridge strike

Something has got to be done…

Ban Double Deckers

Let Specsavers advertise on bridges.

He must have been going some to do that.

On the other side of the bridge, about 3 foot short, is a huge steel ‘bar’ which is specifically set 3" lower than the bridge and was purposely put in place to stop cretins hitting the thing.

Guess it didn’t work!

see Google street view.

mapstreetview.com/#y82o4_-2invc_2.a_0g43

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Protection beam can be seen here .

Photo from BBC News , who seem less concerned about naming & shaming

5D5AF825-24D2-4064-91DB-14A894A57BD6.jpeg

I’ve got the answer. Spend billions of pounds restructuring all of the uk roads bull dozing down anything in the way to make all points at which road and rail cross either a level crossing, or a road over rail bridge, but never a rail over road unless it’s over 16’6”. That will stop them being hit.

much simpler to just revoke their license , if they are that stupid they should be nowhere near a heavy truck .

rigsby:
much simpler to just revoke their license , if they are that stupid they should be nowhere near a heavy truck .

DING DING DING…

We have a winner.

Usually the bars are fixed to the ground not the bridge. Seems a little piintless if not damaging the bridge is the point.

Doesn’t really work to stop curtainsiders as they are too flexible. Looks like thats the bit which clobbered the trailer else he might have made it.

Looking at their logo, it seems they might have predicted the bridge strike (if upload works).

TWB-258x160.png

48 years driving and never managed to hit a bridge, dont know how they do it. :smiley:

gezt:
48 years driving and never managed to hit a bridge, dont know how they do it. :smiley:

Me too, it really makes you wonder. Maybe they don’t have the ability to think. :laughing:

rigsby:

Great idea.

I used to work up there and would go down that road coming off the Kessoock Bridge at night. Its clearly signposted from both sides

Looks like south kessock. I seen something couple years ag, on my way to work, a lorry came from Millburn road (Morrisons) and turned left to that tight narrow bridge and couldn’t reverse back due to traffic and crossing gate behind him.

Win-Stone:

On the other side of the bridge, about 3 foot short, is a huge steel ‘bar’ which is specifically set 3" lower than the bridge and was purposely put in place to stop cretins hitting the thing.

Guess it didn’t work!

see Google street view.

The signs in that view show 4.6 metres, and 15 ft.

I frequently pull trailers marked 4.6 metres, and 15 ft 1. Could I proceed under this bridge?

ezydriver:

Win-Stone:

Guess it didn’t work!

see Google street view.

I frequently pull trailers marked 4.6 metres, and 15 ft 1. Could I proceed under this bridge?

Probably but proceed with extreme caution. Could be embarassing though. :laughing:

ezydriver:

Win-Stone:

Guess it didn’t work!

see Google street view.

Personally, I definitely wouldn’t but then, there’s no need to. If you’re in either Travis Perkins, or the small industrial estate, then turn right not left. If you do that then there is a roundabout about 150 yards away which takes you right out onto the dual-carriageway that runs right through Inverness. Why on earth try going under a bridge when the easiest way out is in the other direction?

rigsby:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This

ezydriver:

I see where you’re…

Coming from. If you had no choice but to head for a bridge you’re sure not you can get under, then stop before it, stick yer bonce outta the window AND CHECK as you drive under. As you can see from the pictures any other course of action is just stoopid.

I’ve found every car driver I’ve walked up to that was stuck behind me at a bridge I couldn’t pass was, quite happy to reverse up and wait until I’d backed up and turned around. Often they will get out and explain to other drivers what’s going on.

Low bridges are the one time the Jeremy Clarkson full steam ahead give it the beans approach will fail.

ezydriver:

Win-Stone:

Guess it didn’t work!

see Google street view.

I wouldn’t. But then I’m the kind of driver who wouldn’t go under a 16ft marked bridge with a trailer marked at 16ft, or a 15ft bridge in a 15ft trailer etc, just simply because it also says on the trailer (based on xxxxx 5th wheel height) which I’ve not personally measured, so unless I measure the 5th wheel height I’m going on an assumption that I’m actually 16ft. I could be in reality 15’10 or 16’2. So for that reason I never go under anything that’s marked the same height as my trailer, even though many will say it’s fine and it’s the authority’s fault or company who marked up the trailer at fault if you hit it…I’d still rather not thanks

Casual Observer:
Protection beam can be seen here .

Photo from BBC News , who seem less concerned about naming & shaming

a bit more lube and a bit more speed and he would have made it, so close but no cigar, that donkey powered daf just didn’t have that low down grunt to pull it all the way through

8/10 for effort