Interview with the TM today

Regarding my recent work application. One of the questions the TM asked me was about maximum weekly driving hours. I said 56 and he said no its 60. I checked on the VOSA website and I am right aren’t I? I assume its in recent years that it got changed from 60 to 56? I wasn’t in a position to argue however I will feel an element of smugness when I correct him tomorrow :smiley:

you are correct

Tarrman:
Regarding my recent work application. One of the questions the TM asked me was about maximum weekly driving hours. I said 56 and he said no its 60. I checked on the VOSA website and I am right aren’t I? I assume its in recent years that it got changed from 60 to 56? I wasn’t in a position to argue however I will feel an element of smugness when I correct him tomorrow :smiley:

The maximum driving hours per fixed week is 56 and 90 hours in any two consecutive fixed weeks.

For the working time regulations the maximum working time in a fixed week is 60 hours.

Sounds like the TM’s getting the two rules mixed up unless you misheard the question :wink:

monday - 9
tuesday - 9
wednesday - 9
thursday - 9
friday - 10
saturday - 10

It already sounds like they want you to work more than the legal hours. Next thing, he’ll be showing you where to put the magnet on the gearbox. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s 56, as everybody else has said. And then only 34 the following week, not 56 every week and certainly not 60 every week :stuck_out_tongue:

He seems a decent bloke and its a reputable outfit. There’s every chance I mis-heard the question, I was a bit nervous :smiley:

So there’s also a maximum working time of 60 hours? I didn’t know that (obviously it won’t take into account breaks, but that’s a different thread lol).

theres a lot of people (borh drivers and office types) who don’t know that if they max 6 days the first week then you are only gonna get 3 max’ed out days in the whole of the next week. It’s also a calender fortnight so having a weekend break means naff all as some drivers think this wipes their card so they can ‘go again’.

Just agree with him and apologise for your mistake it makes life easier.

jessicas dad:

Yeah i agree plus your’e more likely to get the job.

bald bloke:

jessicas dad:

Yeah i agree plus your’e more likely to get the job.

That’s what I did at the time. I very nearly said, “are you sure?” but thought better than to question him, me being new and all.

I’m sorry gents but if it was me and I knew I answered something correctly but the other person (no matter whether it’s an interviewing TM, Policeman or a fit naked woman wanting to play games with me if I just agree with her) that is wrong, then I would stand my ground. It shows a certain weakness to just go along with someone when you know it’s not right !

The time to argue is when the want you to drive 60 hours in a week.

Remember if you do drive 56 hours in week one Monday to Saturday (Unlikely as it’s more likely to be around 54 if you don’t quite reach the maximum each day) and then reach your maximum fortnightly 90 hours by the next Thursday. You can’t drive again before 00:00 Monday despite your weekly 45 hours rest being finished by Saturday evening.

I had this argument once with a TM when I reached 86 hours by Friday dinner time and he thought I could start at midday Sunday. I told him I could, but only had 4 hours of driving before midnight.

Kerbdog:
I’m sorry gents but if it was me and I knew I answered something correctly but the other person (no matter whether it’s an interviewing TM, Policeman or a fit naked woman wanting to play games with me if I just agree with her) that is wrong, then I would stand my ground. It shows a certain weakness to just go along with someone when you know it’s not right !

What he said (though I probably wouldn’t stand my ground), too many ‘yes men’ driving these days !!
Who knows, you may get a bit more respect off the gaffer if you do ‘stick to your guns’ ?

Sorry,Tarrman, you sure it wasn’t a trick, you know, just to see if he could rock your knowledge :question:

Kerbdogs right in what he says.

Tarrman:
He seems a decent bloke and its a reputable outfit. There’s every chance I mis-heard the question, I was a bit nervous :smiley:

So there’s also a maximum working time of 60 hours? I didn’t know that (obviously it won’t take into account breaks, but that’s a different thread lol).

If you really want to confuse him ask him for an opt out form for the 10 hr night work rule :wink:

Socketset:
Sorry,Tarrman, you sure it wasn’t a trick, you know, just to see if he could rock your knowledge :question:

He said I knew more than most he’d interviewed, he knows I’m new, don’t see what the problem is? Like mentioned before, it might if been working time and I mis-heard the question. As for standing my ground, I know when to argue and when to not. I’m not gonna sit there like a know it all and argue the point, I’ll do that once I have a full time contract :wink: (here’s hoping anyway)

Tarrman:

Socketset:

He said I knew more than most he’d interviewed, he knows I’m new, don’t see what the problem is? Like mentioned before, it might if been working time and I mis-heard the question. As for standing my ground, I know when to argue and when to not. I’m not gonna sit there like a know it all and argue the point, I’ll do that once I have a full time contract :wink: (here’s hoping anyway)

Sensible post.

jessicas dad:

Tarrman:

Socketset:

Sensible post.

I didn’t mean it to sound in a bitchy way either incase it offended anyone :smiley:

Looks like you made a good impression with the bloke anyway.

When will you know?

The interview was with the TM and the WM. The WM told me he’d let me know by the end of the week. I’m not pinning any hopes on it even though it should be mine as I was first in the running for it for the past 6/7 bloody years, but these things don’t always come to those first in line. If I don’t get it I’ll be gutted but at least I’ll then be able to focus on various other paths to getting driving.