Interview tomorrow, what to wear?

Just hit me, I have an interview and loading assessment tomorrow and I haven’t a clue what to wear. I’ve never had an interview in the Transport industry before, my last one was about four years ago and for a job in car sales. That was suited and booted, I am assuming that would class as overdressed for a driving job.

Work boots and HiVis are obvious, but what else would you wear for an interview in this industry. Shirt and tie, polo shirt, birthday suit?

Well the birthday suit means they’ll not forget who you are. :laughing:

As by the sounds of it you’ve got to do some stuff round the truck, something smart, but practical.

I have been for an interview as a truck driver fully suited and booted, but I’d come straight from another job interview for a technical type job. They defiantly weren’t used to seeing drivers turn up for interviews dressed like that, but I could of had the job. This was more down to experience than how I was dressed though. :smiley:

Don’t dress scruffy like your average driver. Personally I wear combat trousers and a polo shirt for work and I would like to think it looks more professional than jeans and any old t shirt. Usually wear a fleece on top and as you’ve already said steel toe cap boots and a hi viz jacket/vest. Just make sure your boots are clean!

xfmatt:
Don’t dress scruffy like your average driver. Personally I wear combat trousers and a polo shirt for work and I would like to think it looks more professional than jeans and any old t shirt. Usually wear a fleece on top and as you’ve already said steel toe cap boots and a hi viz jacket/vest. Just make sure your boots are clean!

Therein lies the problem. Im working in the morning, so my boots will be “normal”. I don’t do scruffy so there shouldn’t be a problem, but the plan is to hop into the showers at Toddington MSA and have a spruce up and get changed.

nsmith1180:

xfmatt:

Therein lies the problem. Im working in the morning, so my boots will be “normal”. I don’t do scruffy so there shouldn’t be a problem, but the plan is to hop into the showers at Toddington MSA and have a spruce up and get changed.

Even better coming straight from work, that’s really good, Shows commitment and interest.
Especially if you turn up ready for work, but also smart.

Polo shirt, dark trousers, safety boots. All clean! Take hi-vis with you, along with both parts of your driving licence, CV if you have one (even if you’ve already sent them one), and any other relevant paperwork such as any DCPC modules.

Good luck!

A polo shirt I think is enough perhaps with clean jeans and shoes and maybe clean shaven so that it looks like you take a bit of pride in yourself and that’ll mean you might take a bit of pride in your job too.

Wearing a whistle & flute will raise eyebrows, wearing ripped oil stained jeans with a holey sweat shirt c/w snot marks on the forearms will raise eyebrows also.

We don’t want to be raising eyebrows do we?

Try wearing clean, good condition working clothes. The sort of clothes that hopefully you’ll be wearing if/when you get the job. Have a close shave if you’re not a beardy weirdy & if there’s time then visit the barber beforehand. I find a good chat with my barber very relaxing before an interview !

Check your armpits & clean your teeth. Don’t eat anything that’ll make you trump. Don’t ever drop a ‘silent but deadly’ on a driving assesment, if you do then make a joke about it quick :smiley:

First impressions really do matter. Walk in upright with a straight back, don’t slump your shoulders & immediatley offer your hand to shake. Never umm or ahh, take time to think about what you’re saying but don’t take too long. Try not to slobber.

P.S. Don’t mention that you needed to ask the internets advice on what to wear for the interview, they might think you’re too stupid to be in charge of one of their trucks :smiley:

Thanks guys, good advice. The birthday suit is off the list of options for sure!

Argh, I was never this nervous going for a salesmans interview!

If its actually driving and not an assessment centre then polished work boots, navy work trousers, navy polo and a smart waterproof jacket and of course your shield.

If it was an assessment centre where no driving is to take place, i would wear shoes,trousers,smart shirt

Dont turn up in joggers wae your belly hanging out and a egg stained t-shirt whatever you do.

If it were me I would wear shirt and trousers but take clean workwear with you incase it’s needed. Clean shaven brush your teeth and a splash of aftershave will all make the right impression.
Just be yourself and dont be afraid to ask questions if you are unsure of anything,as coming across as a know it all is a big no no!
Good luck

Let us know how you get on.

Oh and don’t forget your digi card and licence both parts.

Chas:
Wearing a whistle & flute will raise eyebrows, wearing ripped oil stained jeans with a holey sweat shirt c/w snot marks on the forearms will raise eyebrows also.

We don’t want to be raising eyebrows do we?

Try wearing clean, good condition working clothes. The sort of clothes that hopefully you’ll be wearing if/when you get the job. Have a close shave if you’re not a beardy weirdy & if there’s time then visit the barber beforehand. I find a good chat with my barber very relaxing before an interview !

Check your armpits & clean your teeth. Don’t eat anything that’ll make you trump. Don’t ever drop a ‘silent but deadly’ on a driving assesment, if you do then make a joke about it quick :smiley:

First impressions really do matter. Walk in upright with a straight back, don’t slump your shoulders & immediatley offer your hand to shake. Never umm or ahh, take time to think about what you’re saying but don’t take too long. Try not to slobber.

P.S. Don’t mention that you needed to ask the internets advice on what to wear for the interview, they might think you’re too stupid to be in charge of one of their trucks :smiley:

I have my interview on Tuesday but will be going from cab to office as I’m working nights there already on agency. Taking a spare polo shirt and clean hi-vis vest in case :smiley:

Ive always worn a suit for a job interview.

Not jeans. Might be fine for the actual job, but you don’t know who will be interviewing you. Could be the TM or someone from sales or admin. Black or dark smart trousers, smart top and shoes, but have work clothes with you like others have said.

Suit is too much, jeans and T shirt is not enough. If in doubt its always better to dress too smart instead of too casual.

No belts, jewelery, no trousers with studs of any description, anything with a zip must be covered. If your doing a loading trial then any metal work could scratch a car. Its the rules that we are all meant to adhere to, even wedding rings have to be removed or covered up.
Then again you could go suited and take a boiler suit as well.

Harry Kyng:
I have my interview on Tuesday but will be going from cab to office as I’m working nights there already on agency. Taking a spare polo shirt and clean hi-vis vest in case :smiley:

Presumably then, they will know that you’ve just finished their night shift & will be jumping out of their cab & straight into their orifice. I reckon that even a total nut job of a TM would take into account that you’re not going to be 100% spick & span.

I’ve done many temp to perm’s, personally, I would consider it an insult if I was asked to present myself for interview if I’d spent the last 13wks working for them.

limeyphil:

that the new uniform for all Daf drivers :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

nsmith1180:
Just hit me, I have an interview and loading assessment tomorrow and I haven’t a clue what to wear. I’ve never had an interview in the Transport industry before, my last one was about four years ago and for a job in car sales. That was suited and booted, I am assuming that would class as overdressed for a driving job.

Work boots and HiVis are obvious, but what else would you wear for an interview in this industry. Shirt and tie, polo shirt, birthday suit?

I always go suited and booted and take a set of work clothes with me if they want to do an assessment.

I turned up to one interview once and the guy said if I’d turned up in T-shirt and jeans like many did I’d have got shown the door.

i don`t own any trousers…i tend to knock about in outdoor style clothing…which is what i attended my latest interview in.