Interview tomorrow...In a bit of a quandry

Apologies in advance 'coz this maybe should be in the ‘Newbie’ section. but; thought I’d ask you ‘old hands’.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I have my first interview tomorrow. Now I know this has probably been discussed before but I could not find the thread. So feel free to ignore it if you wish.

My question is simply,… what should I wear?

I am normally a big advocate of ‘Suited and booted’ and a firm believer in the old adage that; ‘You don’t get a second chance to make a first impression’.

However, I am not sure that a suit and tie is appropriate for an interview for a job hauling veggies in 7.5 tonners and rigids. While I understand that it is a sign of respect for the company and position, I will feel a bit of a berk if I have to go out on a drive in my nice shiny shoes.

Would it be appropriate to go ‘suited up’ but carry a change of clothes including boots and Hi-viz and let them know ahead of time that I have it with me?

Is it normal to do this, with time allowed for changing?

Sorry for the basic nature of this question, but as I have freely admitted before, I am a complete greenhorn when it comes to the general haulage industry.

Thanks for y’alls patience.

Cheers,

Simon

id go for jeans polo shirt and smart shoes with steelys and hi viz in boot incase they want you to drive :wink:

it certainly wont hurt to dress smart. atleast you are making an effort.
carry a hi viz in your bag is good too. re, safety boots, you may have to wear them to get on site, so give them a good clean and they will still look ok with your suit.

I have always gone for dress appropriate to the job, for a driving job I would smart casual. and have in your car safety boots and a High vis if you have them.

IMO go to the interview how you feel smart but practical, just in case you are to do a driving assessment, and make sure you take a pen, Digi card an you drivers licence with the paper part

Im with you Fozzie smart but something you dont mind getting dirty Best of luck Ive just had my luck change Phone call start Mon :laughing: :laughing:

Jeans or ‘smart casual’ trousers,polo shirt & fleece has always worked for me. Its usually a case of whether your face fits - in this case suited and booted may work against you. Take your license and digi card.

Steelies/hi viz in car just in case you need to drive.

Ask a few questions as well - I always prefer a candidate who’s interested enough to find out a bit about the job during the interview.

Good luck!!

SMART CASUAL

Wear something that you’re comfortable in. Suit , collar and tie is all very well but most of us don’t wear that sort of stuff on a regular basis and as a result it does nothing for our feeling “right” at the interview. You’re under enough stress already, no point in adding to it.

My usual advice is wear similar clothes to those you’d wear if you were going out for a meal with the missus and some friends. As others have said, take hi-vis, safety boots etc.

One bit of advice; take BOTH parts of your driving licence! Said this many times before, it’s amazing how many people don’t bother and it’s a black mark straight away as the company’s then got to phone DVLA to check the details.

Finally; don’t overdo the Old Spice, too much aftershave is as offputting as BO to some people. :wink:

Good luck, do let us know how it went.

And remember when your dressed smart for the interview AND you have done your homework on the company, don’t for get to be honest,sincere and ontime.
during the interview ask about forwarding your career as a driver etc with the company and ask where they feel they are going for the future because you may well wish to be there.
Good Luck hope you get the job and its all you wish for :smiley:

Suited and booted. One interview I went to last year, the interviewer said that he was glad I had done as he has a policy of not even bothering to interview people who turn up in jeans and t-shirt.

Shirt and tie at the very least. Take a set of drivers trousers, steelies and jacket in case you need to do some driving. You can always get changed.

And if you’re going on a test drive, don’t forget to put a chart in or digicard in. I’ve known people fail interviews on that.

Phone the company, speak to the secretary/office bod and ask about the dress code at work, and do pretty much as everyone else has written…

Good luck

spd0121:

For the definitve reply to your question, I am still awaiting a reply to the e-mail I sent Trinney & Susanah :wink:

Well forget about the suit making an impression, the Pink hair will do that all right. :laughing:

A HAT :laughing: :laughing:

Or you could take Gok Wan’s advice and go naked. :open_mouth:

Or perhaps not…

Would settle the question of what to wear anyhow. :laughing:

Ken.

kitkat:

A HAT :laughing: :laughing:

Maybe a balaclava might be more appropriate. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Only kidding, Good Luck. :wink:

Thanks guys

Off to interview now. 2:00 pm appointment. (gulp)

Will let y’all know how it goes :open_mouth:

Cheers!

Smart but casual…

No BO or bad breath, but spare the aftershave, keep it discreet.

When asked a question dont drone on, keep answers short, but to the point, and informative, ie, as much info in a short a space of time as poss.

ANY relevant paper work you ‘may’ need. Driving license (both parts) Digi card, any certificates that may be of help, such as Fork lift ticket etc. Take hi Viz, boots and gloves.

Turn up in a mid range car, not yer mates Bentley, or an old wreck that looks like it will break down every Mon and Fri, clean inside but not ott…

good luck… :wink:

c’mon then did you get it i cant hold my breath much longer :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: