Interview Attire

What do you guys wear for an interview? I only ask because I have been interested to see the attire some drivers do wear, I am talking scruffy t-shirts, old jeans, grubby high vis’s etc. This despite expecting to be offered a good wage.

“It’s only a driving job”. Well, if you want to be treated & paid like a professional then act like one :open_mouth:

I tend to wear a clean pair of work trousers, clean polo shirt, polished boots, clean high vis & carry a pair of gloves in case I have to demonstrate any coupling up. If it was for a proper top job i’d wear a shirt and tie for the initial interview with work clobber in the car just in case.

I’m planning on going job hunting (soon I hope). I plan on wearing a matching suit, shirt & tie, will see if it works…:laughing: I haven’t been for a job interview for over 4 years:shock:

I left school nearly 20 years ago and as strange as it sounds I’ve never had a job interview (always gone agency to perm). However I once went in to a haulage company for an informal chat about a job, and I wore a clean pair of ironed dark blue jeans, a smart-casual top, and a pair of black Kickers moccasins. I believe this attire is not over-the-top, yet demonstrates that one is aware of impression management, and will therefore incorporate such an ethic into the customer service aspect of one’s work.

I never did hear back from them.

First impressions make or break an interview go clean and tidy and prepared for a possible induction,nothing worse than a scruffy unkept appearance

I think it depends on the type of place your going to, the place I’m at now I just wore smart casual, however I went to an interview once at Friars Pride and I was expected to wear a suit.

I’d wear a shirt and tie, but that’s just the way I am. Doubt I’d do the suit jacket. Not if I thought I was going to do an assessment though.

I have seen guys turn up for interviews with dirty hair, three days beard growth and outer clothing that looks like it has never been anywhere near a washing machine since it was bought. If the role is customer facing, then that is perhaps not the look the employer would want to present to its customers. :question:

On the other hand, dressing up in a suit to go for a tipper driving job could also have an adverse effect… :question:

Say what you will, it all to do if your face fits (IMHO) as to whether you get offered a role.

rob22888:
I tend to wear a clean pair of work trousers, clean polo shirt, polished boots, clean high vis & carry a pair of gloves in case I have to demonstrate any coupling up. If it was for a proper top job i’d wear a shirt and tie for the initial interview with work clobber in the car just in case.

This is what I’d wear but high-viz would stay in the car boot, and the last 2 jobs I did manage to get and they were with companies that pride themselves on their appearance so it must be acceptable.

I’ve always worn at least trousers, shirt and tie. Never failed to get any job I’ve applied for and at one agency the owner even commented that he was pleased I was dressed properly as he just turned away people who turned up in t-shirts and jeans.

As its been said. Your going for a driving job so why would you turn up with your nails done new perm heels and fishnets.
Ties are for 2 things and there both the same , Weddings and Funerals :wink:
Never worn a tie for a driving job interview never not be offered the job. I think it comes down to 1 how you put yourself over in a cv . 2 your attitude on the day. 3 you turn up as you would ready to bang in a 15hr shift. Clean and presentable.

I had a interview VERY recently, with a large firm. Maritime Rocked up in Smart Jeans, T-shirt, Help for heroes sweaty and my driving cap. Its not about how you look, its about how bad they need drivers and how you as a person are. Did not bring hi-vis, gloves or anything the like. They didnt ask so I didnt bother. Gave me one at depot. If you have a driving assessment go in something comfortable. Obviously I didnt come scruffy, Just comfortable, had a shower, sorted my hair out, deodorant etc…

Worth noting, got the job and also had another job offer in almost exactly same attire with Humber Port Logistics

shirt and tie every time, with a v-neck jumper rather than jacket. Then a decent pair of smart work trousers and boots in case you go on an assessment drive. Your going for a job as a professional driver, so jeans and hoody doesnt look good.

Shirt ,tie and a v neck jumper :unamused: :unamused: who do get your dress sence off alan partridge :laughing: :laughing:

lol i hate suit jackets, either way its always worked :laughing:

Pimpdaddy:
I’m planning on going job hunting (soon I hope). I plan on wearing a matching suit, shirt & tie, will see if it works…:laughing: I haven’t been for a job interview for over 4 years:shock:

+1 Same here, wore a suit to my last interview, got the job. I’ve seen guys turn up for a job in shorts, t-shirt and trainers then wonder why they got knocked back :smiley:

What you wear does make a difference;if the jobs a good un you dont stand a chance being a scruff,ive heard of employers walking you to your car to see the state of that aswell,i think whitewhitewhite said he allways looked what car people turned up in ,if you turn up clean and tidy i dont think anybody would expect you to get caked in grease, :unamused:

seth 70:
Shirt ,tie and a v neck jumper :unamused: :unamused: who do get your dress sence off alan partridge :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: Hate to say it but I was thinking something similar, last time I wore a v neck jumper and tie was at school, but then my Granda wore them regularly :smiley:
Any interview I’ve been to I’ve gone for smart/casual, reckon suit & tie is a bit ott, and football top and scruffy old jeans is the other extreme.
Although first appearances do go so far, it’s all about how you come across in conversation, confidence, and what experience you have that counts more towards getting the job than how good (or bad :smiley: ) your v neck looks.

i once went for a driving interview in a suit :laughing: i wouldn’t normally, usually just smart, but it was for pulling a medical trailer, so i thought i’d make the effort. the dude laughed at me, several times :blush: :blush:

stevieboy308:
the dude laughed at me, several times :blush: :blush:

Thats my fear:lol:

Jamiemufu:
I had a interview VERY recently, with a large firm. Maritime Rocked up in Smart Jeans, T-shirt, Help for heroes sweaty and my driving cap. Its not about how you look, its about how bad they need drivers
Worth noting, got the job and also had another job offer in almost exactly same attire with Humber Port Logistics

You quite probably did as both those firms need drivers badly because they pay crap and they’re crap to work for. So yeah you get the job turning up in jeans and a t-shirt at firms which are desperate for drivers because they’re bottom of the barrel but the ones in our area that are decent companies and pay towards £10 an hour instead of £7 an hour aren’t that impressed by people who don’t turn up suited and booted and you’d not get a job at these going to an interview like you did because they’ve a long list of people queuing up to work there. So in short all you’ve proven is you can get a job with a crap company paying nowt turning up for interviews in t-shirt and trainers because quite frankly they’re so desperate they’ll take anyone with a license.