Internal straps in curtainsiders

400 KILO LIMIT.

"You can use internally fitted straps hanging from the rails of a
curtain-sided vehicle to secure a pallet of no more than 400kg
in weight. The ideal solution is one strap across two pallets
from rave to rave of the bed of the vehicle. You may need
more straps if there are not enough fitted to the vehicle or trailer.

We will issue a prohibition and fixed penalty of £100 for
any load found to be insecure."

Love VOSA xxxx

Lovely so the driver will get to pay more tax to the government. A few points come to mind
The planners don’t factor time in already for strapping the loads and drivers are forced to run without strapping using the load bearing curtain for the job
How does the driver know the weight of the pallet?
If there are not enough straps the driver will be expected to carry them! So he buys them!
Even if there are enough straps VOSA will fine you for torn or freyed straps which are the majority.
No wonder some firms can’t get drivers to stay with them? I have several in mind …

:imp:

alder:
Drivers are forced to run without strapping using the load bearing
curtain for the job.

That’s a BIG no no and you must not do it - no excuse whatsoever.

alder:
How does the driver know the weight of the pallet?

I’m sure its Health & Safety law to display the weight on the pallet.

alder:
If there are not enough straps the driver will be expected to
carry them! So he buys them! Even if there are enough straps
VOSA will fine you for torn or freyed straps which are the majority.

Yes - Make no mistake you WILL be fined for an insecure load.

Get authority to buy them and bill the company.

No straps = No move.

Simple as that. End of story.

Report the firm to VOSA if you have any threats.

Its not possible to secure loads with internals full stop.

alder:
The planners don’t factor time in already for strapping the loads

Tell the planners that you need time to restrain the load, your driving it they’re not!
I can see a few back door deliverys having to change their procedures, as all straps will have to be undone before the forks can start offloading.
Same applies for loading eg if a forks are going through the back doors then I doubt drivers will be able to have curtains opened to allow drivers to strap as its being loaded.

Its OK now I am on containers and boxes :smiley: :smiley: no more worries for me

alder:
Its OK now I am on containers and boxes :smiley: :smiley: no more worries for me

Another can of worms could be opened if your not allowed to break the seal to check contents of the box though :grimacing:

Saaamon:

Really? I insisted on doing the job properly and I managed to securely strap pallets of glass jars so they could not come off the side and then there was a curtain as well. The front of the load up against the headboard and the back cross strapped using the internal straps going across the other side. Pretty secure to me

chester:

alder:

Another can of worms could be opened if your not allowed to break the seal to check contents of the box though :grimacing:

Yep doing TNT work now and they are sealed :unamused:

Saaamon:

That’s your opinion.

The Authority that matters would disagree with you.

Dieseldoforme:

Saaamon:

That’s your opinion.

The Authority that matters would disagree with you.

Aren’t you also supposed to secure the items to the floor of the trailer using more than their own weight :question:

waynedl:
Aren’t you also supposed to secure the items to the floor of the
trailer using more than their own weight :question:

To be honest, I’m not sure. I don’t do curtains.

VOSA are responding to a “rumour” that straps coming
from the roof of a curtain sider cannot be used to secure loads.

THAT IS DEFINATELY FALSE.

VOSA are saying that roof straps CAN be used for
pallets NOT MORE than 400 kilos.

But you can no longer put pallets in a curtain sider and expect the curtain
to secure the load. IN MANY CASES YOU WILL BE FINED FOR THAT
AND PREVENTED FROM MOVING.

As I understand it, I would put one ratchet strap across and
over every two pallets and fix them to the trailer bed. I would
need 15 straps for a full load because I would also put two
criss-crossed straps across the two rear pallets. (To stop backward movement)

All straps are rated with tonnage labels so if I had 2 x 1 tonne pallets to
secure, then I would use a 4 tonne strap. (Double the weight)

Wot a loada bollox.

As I understand it, I would put one ratchet strap across and
over every two pallets and fix them to the trailer bed. I would
need 15 straps for a full load because I would also put two
criss-crossed straps across the two rear pallets. (To stop backward movement).
[/quote]
yes AKA acceleration straps :laughing: :sunglasses: :grimacing: :grimacing: ■■■■ the planners, :laughing: and ■■■■ VOStapo :smiley: it’s going ■■■■ up! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

I see absolutely no difference to using sky hooks and internal straps as using curtains with integral straps, it isn’t the curtain holding the load it is the webbing that is woven inside the curtains, we had some mega trailers with aluminium slats inside pockets stitched into the curtain, and through that passed a webbing strap. You only have to look at a bulk curtainsider carrying wood-chip or sawdust, that isn’t strapped internally but the curtains hold that load in securely.

There isn’t an adjustable spanner solution, different loads require different securing devices. I would never use ratchet straps on bare steel plate and I wouldn’t use them on empty aerosol cans. I would use them over strong pallets and machinery in a crate or chemicals or foodstuffs in an IBC

I have read the Australian load security manual which the RHA and VOSA have adopted, but there are many exclusions and exemptions in it, shrink wrap is mentioned as a good security device

Wheel Nut:
I see absolutely no difference to using sky hooks and internal straps as using curtains with integral straps, it isn’t the curtain holding the load it is the webbing that is woven inside the curtains, we had some mega trailers with aluminium slats inside pockets stitched into the curtain, and through that passed a webbing strap. You only have to look at a bulk curtainsider carrying wood-chip or sawdust, that isn’t strapped internally but the curtains hold that load in securely.

They’re certified load bearing curtains mate… Also have more ratchets / straps than standard curtains, weigh a damned site more, are much thicker and have the rating certification on the curtain.

our new trailers have got load bearing curtains fitted like the ones used on curtain sided bulkers and intetnal rachet straps fitted. the only gripe ive got of them is they are postless which defeats the object of the load bearing curtains.

So how do you strap down the top deck, a lot of falls and deaths if we are expected to climb up crawl around and strap down the top deck.
the company I work for has only some trailers with straps the rest none at all, top and bottom decks.

rorymotorbiker:
So how do you strap down the top deck, a lot of falls and deaths if we are expected to climb up crawl around and strap down the top deck.

That may higlight the fact that curtainsided double deckers aren’t suitable for role, unless you have gantries etc to allow you to restrain the top deck.

Double deckers in solid sided trailers with lowering floors where you can restrain your load which I have used, are however fit for purpose.

Never had any of this bollox to put up with in my time,a good flatbed,2 body sheets and a flysheet+ropes,straps for steel and timber,chains and dogs for heavy lumps eg machinery,job sorted no probs,and no vosa either,happy days.
regards dave.

EN 12642 XL

Curtain sider trailers are essentially flatbed trailers with a weather-protection structure
mounted on the bed of the trailer. They allow goods to be transported and protected
from the weather, as well as providing the advantages of easy access to the sides of
the trailer for loading and unloading as would be found on a flatbed trailer.

Generally the weather protection structure is not rated for load restraint and should not
be used to secure load restraint equipment, although trailers with a reinforced and
rated superstructure are allowed for in European Standards. That is the number at the top of my page.