Internal straps in curtainsiders

Occurs to me that VOSA should be talking to the manufacturers of load restraints not fining the poor drivers who are told what to use!

The manufactures will build trailers to what ever requirements the customer wants, it’s the operators not using suitable trailers and not providing drivers with suitable restraints that’s the problem.

Because drivers don’t want to rock the boat they just put up with it, and risk their livelihood when they get a tug.

chester:
The manufactures will build trailers to what ever requirements the customer wants, it’s the operators not using suitable trailers and not providing drivers with suitable restraints that’s the problem.

Because drivers don’t want to rock the boat they just put up with it, and risk their livelihood when they get a tug.

dekertrailers.co.uk/double-d … d-security

As Chester said anything is doable if they splash the cash :grimacing:

I would be happy taking a load like this out without strapping it.
Indeed, there are no internals in the trailer anyway.
The entire load weighs around a ton, and is crushable.

Dieseldoforme:

alder:
Drivers are forced to run without strapping using the load bearing
curtain for the job.

That’s a BIG no no and you must not do it - no excuse whatsoever.

alder:
How does the driver know the weight of the pallet?

I’m sure its Health & Safety law to display the weight on the pallet.

alder:
If there are not enough straps the driver will be expected to
carry them! So he buys them! Even if there are enough straps
VOSA will fine you for torn or freyed straps which are the majority.

Yes - Make no mistake you WILL be fined for an insecure load.

Get authority to buy them and bill the company.

No straps = No move.

Simple as that. End of story.

Report the firm to VOSA if you have any threats.

+1 no company can make you break the law and if they sack you for not breaking the law your laughing all the way to the bank as long as you keep a record of what laws they expect you to break.

I was fined or should I say the company was fined 1300 euros in Belgium for not having straps on 26 IBC,s 100 euros per strap missing the trailer had side bars but they fined me anyway ? but they also tried to fine me for not having tacho,s showing my weekly rest period ?

Define insecure please Mr Vosa.

A load is only insecure when it leaves the vehicle or protrudes from the sides so as to potentially cause injury to others. So, If I get taken to court for not strapping my load and yet the load is in perfect order then the court will deal with the facts and the facts are that the load has not left the vehicle so how can it be insecure?

Just a load of drivers running scared of Vosa yet again. Most if not all drivers will not argue with Vosa and will just opt to pay the fines, Vosa know this which is why they try it on. Tel lthem to ■■■■ off and prove its insecure, failing that you will see them in court to allow them to prove their case.

I have no evidence to prove my point one way or the other but it sounds like a load of nonsense dreamt up by someone trying to create jobs in the trailer manufacturing industry. " If we can start a rumor that internal straps don’t do the job and curtains won’t hold the load in we could be on a winner when they all start replacing their fleets."

4aaaa4dd:
I was fined or should I say the company was fined 1300 euros in Belgium for not having straps on 26 IBC,s 100 euros per strap missing the trailer had side bars but they fined me anyway ? but they also tried to fine me for not having tacho,s showing my weekly rest period ?

Ibc’s move so they were right to fine you in my opinion. I have to fill out a form for every day I don’t work and have to keep 28days with me when I go abroad even if I’m driving a van as this is what they like to see.

Truckbling:
Define insecure please Mr Vosa.

A load is only insecure when it leaves the vehicle or protrudes from the sides so as to potentially cause injury to others. So, If I get taken to court for not strapping my load and yet the load is in perfect order then the court will deal with the facts and the facts are that the load has not left the vehicle so how can it be insecure?

Just a load of drivers running scared of Vosa yet again. Most if not all drivers will not argue with Vosa and will just opt to pay the fines, Vosa know this which is why they try it on. Tell them to [zb] off and prove its insecure, failing that you will see them in court to allow them to prove their case.

FROM VOSA:

"The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 state that ‘…the weight, distribution, packing and adjustment of the load of a vehicle or trailer shall at all times be such that no danger is caused or is likely to be caused to any person in or on the vehicle or trailer or on a road.

Here at VOSA, we expect a load to be secured to the vehicle bed."

ENDS.
or is likely to be caused = You haven’t got a chance in Court.

If it is not secured then obviously a danger is likely to be caused.[/b]
That is clearly an offence.

So if a plane takes off then it is likely to crash onto my lorry so therefore it shouldn’t take off.
Please prove that my load is likely to move and cause danger to other road users.

sorry but assuming something might happen does not mean it will. I would love to argue my case in court that in the 20 years I’ve been doing this job I’ve never lost a load nor has one of my loads become dangerous to anybody else so how can mr expert vosa man with his load security pamphlet tell me I’m wrong?

I would gladly take this to court because a legal expert friend of mine reckons I’d give vosa a bloody nose.

Come on VOSA - really (I mean REALLY; I mean NIHILISTICALLY!!!), enforce this, you will so look f.eckin’ crass and inept. . .Come on!!!

But; you will slow the movement of goods and that will (IT WILLL!!!) jeoapordise the luvvy, duvvies you so love to protect. . . .

Kissy, kissy, darlings - my pallet of Mars dogfood is about to fall on your new Audi!!! Sorry it’s over 400kg though. . . (even though, in real terms, you have more chance of raising the remains of the ‘Amoco Cadiz’, than said pallet actually moving through the shrinkwrap, let alone the curtain, to really jeopordise things…)

Truckbling:
So if a plane takes off then it is likely to crash onto my lorry so
therefore it shouldn’t take off.

I would gladly take this to court because a legal expert friend of
mine reckons I’d give vosa a bloody nose.

Good Luck with your arguement.

Ask your legal expert friend what would happen in Court if you were
rear-ended on a single carriageway (totally not your fault) causing your
load to burst out through the curtain and into the path of oncoming cars,
killing some of the occupants.

(If I remember correctly, the actual incident involved 26 X one-tonne blue
plastic drums of non-haz chemicals.)

sdg1970:
My pallet of Mars dogfood is about to fall on your new Audi!!!

Sorry it’s over 400kg though. . .

God help the Audi.

I’ve carried that stuff from Melton Mowbray to NISA Scunthorpe.

Man… that is heavy [zb]. Even the folklift’s back wheels lifted off the ground !

When I got pulled the other week and received a £100 fine for having no straps I was told I had to strap everything to the bed before I would be allowed to carry on. After being in there nearly three hours I just had the front section of the decker (around 8 pallets) to strap when the nice VOSA man came over and informed me that their shift was almost done.
He then proceeded to try and push the front pallets, they didn’t move so he simply said “these aren’t going anywhere, they’ll be ok” then gave me my lifted prohibition paperwork and disappeared. So the load must only be insecure during their workIng hours :unamused:

Dieseldoforme:

Truckbling:
So if a plane takes off then it is likely to crash onto my lorry so
therefore it shouldn’t take off.

I would gladly take this to court because a legal expert friend of
mine reckons I’d give vosa a bloody nose.

Good Luck with your arguement.

Ask your legal expert friend what would happen in Court if you were
rear-ended on a single carriageway (totally not your fault) causing your
load to burst out through the curtain and into the path of oncoming cars,
killing some of the occupants.

(If I remember correctly, the actual incident involved 26 X one-tonne blue
plastic drums of non-haz chemicals.)

Rather than scaremongering, could you tell us what actually did happen in the scenario you gave. Who was charged and with what were they charged. No load is ever going to be 100% secure no matter what steps you take. How can you say that the pallets on the bottom deck of a double or triple decker are secure when the strap does not actually touch the goods at all. Too many variables and Vosa are just taking the ■■■■ given the " fight it and you still pay even if you win bollox". This was obviously set up to deter people challenging fines. Here you go boyo, pay £60 now and that’s the matter done with or go to court and it could cost you £20,000. If that’s not holding a gun to your head then what is, and we are supposed to be innocent until " proven" guilty?

Dead right I would challenge Vosa in court and I know I would win. They can not say a load is insecure until it leaves the vehicle, end of! The fact that they don’t have to prove it is a farce of the highest order but they know they can get away with it because British drivers lay down and take it.

Out of interest, if I was pulled by Vosa and they asked to check the load and I refused them access to it what would happen?

Am I correct in saying that Vosa will not want to see the load unless they can see curtains bulging or other reason to have suspicions about the load?

Then if I granted access and they said they were doing me for insecure load, would I be given the opportunity to challenge their decision?

Darb:
When I got pulled the other week and received a £100 fine for having no straps I was told I had to strap everything to the bed before I would be allowed to carry on. After being in there nearly three hours I just had the front section of the decker (around 8 pallets) to strap when the nice VOSA man came over and informed me that their shift was almost done.
He then proceeded to try and push the front pallets, they didn’t move so he simply said “these aren’t going anywhere, they’ll be ok” then gave me my lifted prohibition paperwork and disappeared. So the load must only be insecure during their workIng hours :unamused:

The problem now is the Operator Compliance Risk Score (OCRS) and the
points that go with any prohibition. That means that you and your firm’s
vehicles are more likely to be pulled over in future. What a pain.

Truckbling.:
No load is ever going to be 100% secure no matter what steps you take. How can you say that the pallets on the bottom deck of a double or triple decker are secure when the strap does not actually touch the goods at all. Too many variables and Vosa are just taking the ■■■■ given the " fight it and you still pay even if you win bollox". This was obviously set up to deter people challenging fines. Here you go boyo, pay £60 now and that’s the matter done with or go to court and it could cost you £20,000. If that’s not holding a gun to your head then what is, and we are supposed to be innocent until " proven" guilty?

Dead right I would challenge Vosa in court and I know I would win. They can not say a load is insecure until it leaves the vehicle, end of! The fact that they don’t have to prove it is a farce of the highest order but they know they can get away with it because British drivers lay down and take it.

Out of interest, if I was pulled by Vosa and they asked to check the load and I refused them access to it what would happen?

Am I correct in saying that Vosa will not want to see the load unless they can see curtains bulging or other reason to have suspicions about the load?

Then if I granted access and they said they were doing me for insecure load, would I be given the opportunity to challenge their decision?

As a brown-nose, I find it easier to follow all my industry’s rules and
regulations to the letter.

I hope you don’t become the Minister for Transport. Imagine the chaos.

Saaamon:

4aaaa4dd:

Ibc’s move so they were right to fine you in my opinion. I have to fill out a form for every day I don’t work and have to keep 28days with me when I go abroad even if I’m driving a van as this is what they like to see.

cant see were they are going to move to ? 26 ibc,s go headboard to back doors with alloy blanks going all the way down both sides of trailer plus a load bar at the back ? and the filling out of forms is not a legal requirement you do that because you feel that’s what they like to see ? if I put a tacho in my truck to show break at weekends then im not on break ?

Dieseldoforme:

400 KILO LIMIT.

"You can use internally fitted straps hanging from the rails of a
curtain-sided vehicle to secure a pallet of no more than 400kg
in weight. The ideal solution is one strap across two pallets
from rave to rave of the bed of the vehicle. You may need
more straps if there are not enough fitted to the vehicle or trailer.

We will issue a prohibition and fixed penalty of £100 for
any load found to be insecure."

Love VOSA xxxx

link to the relevant VOSA website page please. strangely the only link to the above statement on an internet search is your post. :exclamation: