Interesting debate- who is right?

HDL:
Unfortunately,a lot of people are thick.

Merge in turn and zip merge are far beyond their brain capacity.

Someone needs to sit them down and read them the highway code.

:grimacing:

Could work if there’s picture books and crayons. With no electronic devices. And the door’s locked.

If the lane is open then bloody well use it! I’ve had cars and lorries do this to me when I’ve skipped past a queue of vehicles needlessly waiting in line a mile or so before the closure.

A red x above the lane and it’s a different story altogether.

The problem lies with people feeling they should or are being polite by getting into the lane as soon as they see the sign instead of staying in the lane until it merges. If they did this both lanes would queue equally and merge in turn, then there wouldn’t be this feeling of being hard done by because of vehicles going down the other lane.

Hurryup&wait:

ValleysTrucker:
Lorry driver's decision on how to drive through roadworks kicks off fierce debate - Wales Online

I agree with the lorry driver, some of the comments on there from car drivers are comical! :laughing:

I absolutely agree with you and the lorry driver.

When there is a queue at the bus stop or supermarket checkout or the chipper on a Saturday night I wait my turn like everyone else not just out of politeness and fairness alone but because I know it’s the best and most efficient system.

Alternatively we could behave like yobs and decide our time is much more important the that of the person who was here before us and skip to the front but then the chips and red stuff end up everywhere.

But amazingly when it comes to a road traffic queue Yob behaviour is far too common and more surprisingly promoted by many on here some of whom I would expected otherwise.

Again just looking at the maths if everyone merges in turn at the back of the queue the traffic will enter and pass through the bottleneck at 40 mph for example.

But when the VIP queue jumping Yobs skip to the front and join at the last moment often from a standing start they reduce the stream through the bottleneck to about 10 mph and cause loads of needless stop/starts to the main traffic stream.

That simply means these clowns have just caused the patient rule abiding motorists to wait four or more times longer that they should have and not so much from the impact of leaving others go ahead but mostly from slowing the main stream to a crawl or standstill.

tachograph:
But first perhaps he should learn the rules of the road, it’s called merge in turn not queue for as long as possible.

Indeed “merge in turn”!!! Three very easy to understand words.

That means you merge in behind the guy who was there before you just like in the chipper of supermarket. Your turn is next to the guy who arrived just before you. Simple as…

Where on earth do you get the idea that your turn means you skip all the other people who were there before you and jump in at the front bringing the whole show to a standstill ?

Tut…tut… do the maths or in the interest of road manners or whatever but please join “in turn” at the back and we all get home much sooner and much less frustrated.

Stop smoking crack, this is the law of the road…not the “chipper”…halfwit.
Kellogs phoned…they want their licence back.

Tonymcg:

Hurryup&wait:

ValleysTrucker:
Lorry driver's decision on how to drive through roadworks kicks off fierce debate - Wales Online

I agree with the lorry driver, some of the comments on there from car drivers are comical! :laughing:

I absolutely agree with you and the lorry driver.

When there is a queue at the bus stop or supermarket checkout or the chipper on a Saturday night I wait my turn like everyone else not just out of politeness and fairness alone but because I know it’s the best and most efficient system.

Alternatively we could behave like yobs and decide our time is much more important the that of the person who was here before us and skip to the front but then the chips and red stuff end up everywhere.

But amazingly when it comes to a road traffic queue Yob behaviour is far too common and more surprisingly promoted by many on here some of whom I would expected otherwise.

Again just looking at the maths if everyone merges in turn at the back of the queue the traffic will enter and pass through the bottleneck at 40 mph for example.

But when the VIP queue jumping Yobs skip to the front and join at the last moment often from a standing start they reduce the stream through the bottleneck to about 10 mph and cause loads of needless stop/starts to the main traffic stream.

That simply means these clowns have just caused the patient rule abiding motorists to wait four or more times longer that they should have and not so much from the impact of leaving others go ahead but mostly from slowing the main stream to a crawl or standstill.

tachograph:
But first perhaps he should learn the rules of the road, it’s called merge in turn not queue for as long as possible.

Indeed “merge in turn”!!! Three very easy to understand words.

That means you merge in behind the guy who was there before you just like in the chipper of supermarket. Your turn is next to the guy who arrived just before you. Simple as…

Where on earth do you get the idea that your turn means you skip all the other people who were there before you and jump in at the front bringing the whole show to a standstill ?

Tut…tut… do the maths or in the interest of road manners or whatever but please join “in turn” at the back and we all get home much sooner and much less frustrated.

Stop smoking crack, this is the law of the road…not the “chipper”…halfwit.
Kellogs phoned…they want their licence back.

Love it. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

tachograph:
I’m struggling to see the video on the phone but I think the lorry driver should be prosecuted, if he wants to police the roads he should join the police or highways agency.

What a mug, and an arrogant mug at that.

Sent from my mobile.

What would be your view if it wasn’t merge in turn and at 200m before the cones you still had vehicles coming up the offside to push in?

That is a frequent occurrence for me and it ■■■■■■ me off greatly. You might miss the 800m marker but surely not the ones at 600, 400 and 200. Or are we in a world now of total selfish people and those of us who accept queuing just have to put up with it (ie the pushing in)? If it happened at a supermarket I’d step in and tell them to hop it to the back.

You might miss the 800m marker but surely not the ones at 600, 400 and 200. Or are we in a world now of total selfish people and those of us who accept queuing just have to put up with it (ie the pushing in)? If it happened at a supermarket I’d step in and tell them to hop it to the back.
[/quote]
the 800 yard marker means the lane closes in 800 yards. it does not mean move over now. what if theres a sign saying offside lane closed i mile ?. should you move over now ?. of course not ,just like the 8,6,4,2. the lane is closed at the cones. as for your supermarket scenario, if you go into a supermarket q with 10 people in front of you and i go in one with 2 people in front of me , i get through before you, am i jumping the q ?.

UN 2187 - Carbon Dioxide and therefore not a mobile bomb.

I transport Methane, UN 1972. As a simple measure of safety for my tanker and it’s load (and the nun’s and fluffy kitten’s), from 200 yards out I will straddle the lanes to stop last minute push ins - The last thing I need is a car under the middle of the tanker, where as the tanker in the video is way away from the cones and in the wrong.

Happens all the time on the M6/M5 split s/b in the roadworks.
The standing queue is slowed down and increased by up to half a mile or more by some ■■■■ (9 times out of 10 in a truck) who wants to control the traffic,… even though it clearly says use both lanes and merge in turn. :imp:
Ok, I’ m rarely in a hurry, and I get paid for sitting, but it’s still annoying.

I don’t block the outside lane but I will not
Let anyone in , there just que jumpers so
■■■■ them

Sand Fisher:

tachograph:
I’m struggling to see the video on the phone but I think the lorry driver should be prosecuted, if he wants to police the roads he should join the police or highways agency.

Sent from my mobile.

What would be your view if it wasn’t merge in turn and at 200m before the cones you still had vehicles coming up the offside to push in?

That is a frequent occurrence for me and it ■■■■■■ me off greatly. You might miss the 800m marker but surely not the ones at 600, 400 and 200. Or are we in a world now of total selfish people and those of us who accept queuing just have to put up with it (ie the pushing in)? If it happened at a supermarket I’d step in and tell them to hop it to the back.

To be honest I’m not understanding what sort of situation you’re referring to, wherever 2 lanes merge into one unless road signs say differently I’d regard it as a merge in turn situation, every situation is different and I may be missing something but off hand I can’t think of a situation where 2 lanes merge into one where merge in turn isn’t appropriate, there doesn’t need to be signs saying merge in turn.

It’s not “selfish” to use the whole road appropriately it makes sense and if done correctly works well.

OwenMoney:
UN 2187 - Carbon Dioxide and therefore not a mobile bomb.

I transport Methane, UN 1972. As a simple measure of safety for my tanker and it’s load (and the nun’s and fluffy kitten’s), from 200 yards out I will straddle the lanes to stop last minute push ins - The last thing I need is a car under the middle of the tanker, where as the tanker in the video is way away from the cones and in the wrong.

Pressurised tanker, doesn’t matter what’s in it, it’ll still go bang if you hit it hard enough.

Ergo, mobile bomb

Aren’t tankers that carry flammable or explosive materials double skinned these days ?

Sand Fisher:

tachograph:

Sent from my mobile.

I understand its annoying when vehicles go down the empty lane and get in, but the problem is caused by those that get in early, the lane is open to the end not a certain distance from it, if those in that lane waited until the end both lanes would be queued and nobody would be able to fly down the lane and push in.

One motorway-specific rule is ‘no stopping’…so if you can keep going, keep going.

I’m willing to bet that most motorway accidents are caused by people stopping for one reason or another.

GasGas:
One motorway-specific rule is ‘no stopping’…so if you can keep going, keep going.

I’m willing to bet that most motorway accidents are caused by people stopping for one reason or another.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
thats why they put up the screens for the more juicy ones.
as soon as theres a smash on one carrigeway you can bet it wont be long before theres one on the other side due to the tailback caused by the rubberneckers.

A while back I joined a motorway and emerged right next to a wagon doing just this trying to hold up lanes 1 and 2.
He was on the horn and waving at me to get next to him and join in.
I gave him my best NO UNDERSTAND face and plobbed on to a nice empty road for the next half a mile then moved over at 800 yards :slight_smile:

Truck driver wants banning and re-educating. I see this every day at an island near me. My exit from the island has a set of crossing lights about 200 yards down the road and its 2 lanes from the exit from the island right down to the lights. Most idiots queue up in the inside lane with the resulting queue blocking the island off.

I sail down the outside every opportunity I get and it’s rare for someone not to try and stop me doing it.

Are we not forgetting that “The only drivers gagging to get past the truck here - are those wishing to deliberately SPEED through the roadworks”…?

There’s plenty of truckers who don’t think it is an issue to steam past another truck doing 50 through the roadworks in lane 1 of 2… Their argument is presumably “If there’s no third lane, it ain’t illegal to overtake on the limiter in lane 2”…

I thought the tolerance for speed cameras - was about 10%? If that is the case, then 56 will trigger the camera…
OR…
“Average Speed Check” which doesn’t seem to be properly understood by anyone hard-of-maths… :unamused:

idrive:
A while back I joined a motorway and emerged right next to a wagon doing just this trying to hold up lanes 1 and 2.
He was on the horn and waving at me to get next to him and join in.
I gave him my best NO UNDERSTAND face and plobbed on to a nice empty road for the next half a mile then moved over at 800 yards :slight_smile:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
i have to admit that when i get the chance for to be around one of these road warrior fannys splitting lanes or hogging the merging lane,then if i can get alongside in the clear lane, il sit level with them right up to the cones and leave them stranded and at the mercy of the dozens of drivers behind me.
it does amuse me no end…sometimes the little things in life just make your day pass more nicely :slight_smile: