Interesting debate- who is right?

walesonline.co.uk/news/wale … e-17018053

I agree with the lorry driver, some of the comments on there from car drivers are comical! :laughing:

I’m struggling to see the video on the phone but I think the lorry driver should be prosecuted, if he wants to police the roads he should join the police or highways agency.

But first perhaps he should learn the rules of the road, it’s called merge in turn not queue for as long as possible.

What a mug, and an arrogant mug at that.

Sent from my mobile.

Looks like the lorry driver has appointed himself as a traffic officer

the drivers a classic example of a would be road commander prick,and should be prosecuted for driving illegally and not following the road layout signage.
im amazed nobody comments on the mobile bomb waiting to explode ect.
hopefully he will get the sack before appearing in court and the tea and biscuits session.
theres numerous and constant occasions that most drivers have wanted to get in front of a pompous wazzock like this to drag him out of the seat and kick his teeth in.
id think the only reason he aint covered in ■■■■ and still has mirrors would be he wasnt on the front door holding the boat traffic up.

Most signs will tell you to use both lanes until you get to about the 200 yard mark in which it says to merge. Lorry driver isn’t police and should stick to his own lane, or better yet fill the right hand lane and merge like a zipper at the turn rather than sit in traffic.

What a ■■■■, the lorry driver, not the car driver.

Holding traffic up because he thinks he’s the law of the road, as above it’s merge in turn, or zip merging. Get it in to your skull and traffic will flow, albeit at a slow pace but everyone keeps moving.

Signs advise you that in x-hundred yards the lanes merge, no legal requirement for you to merge in as soon as you see the first signs.

Idiots like that shouldn’t be on the road, especially with a mobile explosion in tow.

Lorry driver is a prick, it’s not Sainsburys you don’t queue in turn, leave that to the dicks with fish badges on their cars. Fill the available road space.

Self appointed…

Lorry driving road commander ought to have his licence revoked.

The video is quite possibly in his TMs inbox already.

ValleysTrucker:
Lorry driver's decision on how to drive through roadworks kicks off fierce debate - Wales Online

I agree with the lorry driver, some of the comments on there from car drivers are comical! :laughing:

I absolutely agree with you and the lorry driver.

When there is a queue at the bus stop or supermarket checkout or the chipper on a Saturday night I wait my turn like everyone else not just out of politeness and fairness alone but because I know it’s the best and most efficient system.

Alternatively we could behave like yobs and decide our time is much more important the that of the person who was here before us and skip to the front but then the chips and red stuff end up everywhere.

But amazingly when it comes to a road traffic queue Yob behaviour is far too common and more surprisingly promoted by many on here some of whom I would expected otherwise.

Again just looking at the maths if everyone merges in turn at the back of the queue the traffic will enter and pass through the bottleneck at 40 mph for example.

But when the VIP queue jumping Yobs skip to the front and join at the last moment often from a standing start they reduce the stream through the bottleneck to about 10 mph and cause loads of needless stop/starts to the main traffic stream.

That simply means these clowns have just caused the patient rule abiding motorists to wait four or more times longer that they should have and not so much from the impact of leaving others go ahead but mostly from slowing the main stream to a crawl or standstill.

tachograph:
But first perhaps he should learn the rules of the road, it’s called merge in turn not queue for as long as possible.

Indeed “merge in turn”!!! Three very easy to understand words.

That means you merge in behind the guy who was there before you just like in the chipper of supermarket. Your turn is next to the guy who arrived just before you. Simple as…

Where on earth do you get the idea that your turn means you skip all the other people who were there before you and jump in at the front bringing the whole show to a standstill ?

Tut…tut… do the maths or in the interest of road manners or whatever but please join “in turn” at the back and we all get home much sooner and much less frustrated.

mardybum:
What a ■■■■, the lorry driver, not the car driver.

Holding traffic up because he thinks he’s the law of the road, as above it’s merge in turn, or zip merging. Get it in to your skull and traffic will flow, albeit at a slow pace but everyone keeps moving.

Signs advise you that in x-hundred yards the lanes merge, no legal requirement for you to merge in as soon as you see the first signs.

Idiots like that shouldn’t be on the road, especially with a mobile explosion in tow.

Perfectly put and 100% correct. Who does he think he is? No wonder lorry drivers get such a bad name but some seem to drive as if they own the road. DIX

Hurryup&wait:

ValleysTrucker:
Lorry driver's decision on how to drive through roadworks kicks off fierce debate - Wales Online

I absolutely agree with you and the lorry driver.

When there is a queue at the bus stop or supermarket checkout or the chipper on a Saturday night I wait my turn like everyone else not just out of politeness and fairness alone but because I know it’s the best and most efficient system.

Alternatively we could behave like yobs and decide our time is much more important the that of the person who was here before us and skip to the front but then the chips and red stuff end up everywhere.

But amazingly when it comes to a road traffic queue Yob behaviour is far too common and more surprisingly promoted by many on here some of whom I would expected otherwise.

Again just looking at the maths if everyone merges in turn at the back of the queue the traffic will enter and pass through the bottleneck at 40 mph for example.

But when the VIP queue jumping Yobs skip to the front and join at the last moment often from a standing start they reduce the stream through the bottleneck to about 10 mph and cause loads of needless stop/starts to the main traffic stream.

That simply means these clowns have just caused the patient rule abiding motorists to wait four or more times longer that they should have and not so much from the impact of leaving others go ahead but mostly from slowing the main stream to a crawl or standstill.

tachograph:

That means you merge in behind the guy who was there before you just like in the chipper of supermarket. Your turn is next to the guy who arrived just before you. Simple as…

Where on earth do you get the idea that your turn means you skip all the other people who were there before you and jump in at the front bringing the whole show to a standstill ?

Tut…tut… do the maths or in the interest of road manners or whatever but please join “in turn” at the back and we all get home much sooner and much less frustrated.

Merge in turn means using the available road space in the most efficient way on the approach to the obstruction. Your approach is maximising queue lengths and would end up blocking the whole of the M25 because only one lane would ever be used.

apart from this self appointed driving god,then the ones who cause the delays are the ones who have no sense of spacial 360 awareness and cant judge speed,distance or the size of their car without the ability to just slow and merge over the several hundred yards lead in.
they have to stop to see if someone lets them in with the inevitable knock on effect build up behind them.
my own strategy unless im just not in a hurry is to belt up the lane thats going to close,look for a female driver usually on the phone( not difficult),then cut the nose off of her.
their 1st reaction is to kakk themselves and stop before trying to work out whos got right of way and by that time,your in.
ive found that women drivers will almost certainly let you in whereas the men will generally keep you out…thats worked 100% for me over the last 40 years or so. :slight_smile:

The problem is neither argument is correct, reality is that drivers are either asleep at the wheel or in me, me, me mode.

I agree that merge in turn means exactly that and it is what is legally required and, like somebody above said, makes most efficient use of the road.

However when I approach roadworks with the merge in turn system, on a dual carriageway say, in a car or a truck, and the queue in the left hand lane is far longer than the right hand lane and I proceed down the right hand lane you can pretty well feel the daggers in your back before you get anywhere near the merge point. At the merge point, well, do you just seamlessly merge ? No, 90% of the people you have just passed, of all vehicle types, try and block you and it can become dangerous.
More education /publicity is needed if it’s going to work as most people are absolutely convinced you are wrong.

dieseldog999:
apart from this self appointed driving god,then the ones who cause the delays are the ones who have no sense of spacial 360 awareness and cant judge speed,distance or the size of their car without the ability to just slow and merge over the several hundred yards lead in.
they have to stop to see if someone lets them in with the inevitable knock on effect build up behind them.
my own strategy unless im just not in a hurry is to belt up the lane thats going to close,look for a female driver usually on the phone( not difficult),then cut the nose off of her.
their 1st reaction is to kakk themselves and stop before trying to work out whos got right of way and by that time,your in.
ive found that women drivers will almost certainly let you in whereas the men will generally keep you out…thats worked 100% for me over the last 40 years or so. :slight_smile:

Now you are openly admitting to bullying woman drivers. Not so clever really. :unamused:

Hurryup&wait:

Having two lanes of traffic merging just before a lane closer should not affect the speed of traffic passing through the roadworks.

While it’s true that if there’s a lot of traffic merging there will be some who come to a standstill, nearly always because others refuse to let them in because they wrongly see it as queue jumping, the queue will be much shorter than if everyone joins a single lane queue a long distance from the obstruction.

The result of having a much longer queue than necessary is that road junctions are often blocked and people who intend to leave the road before the obstruction are held in the queue which makes the queue even longer, in some instances this can result in whole areas becoming gridlocked

Merge in turn just before a lane closure generally works and makes use of all the available road if drivers do it correctly, the problems are caused by people who insist on getting as close as possible to the cones before merging and people who have the British obsession with queueing :frowning:

Hurryup&wait:

tachograph:

Merge in turn does not mean everyone should form one long queue as soon as possible, it means merge in turn whilst making use of the available road space.

What the AA say about it
theaa.com/driving-advice/le … ge-in-turn

What the RAC say about it.
rac.co.uk/drive/advice/driv … p-merging/

An article on Greenflag
blog.greenflag.com/2019/the-zip-merging-debate/

jakethesnake:

dieseldog999:

Now you are openly admitting to bullying woman drivers. Not so clever really. :unamused:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
,it works nicely for me anywhere theres queuing traffic whether im in my car or truck.
and why change the habits of a lifetime?
i reckon its most likely apart from their general lack of awareness,then even if they are in the right,and they go home with a wrecked car,then they wont want the verbals off of their hubby which adds up to them not being able to work out whats what in a couple of seconds…try it and you will save time on your future journeys. :slight_smile:

cav551:
The problem is neither argument is correct, reality is that drivers are either asleep at the wheel or in me, me, me mode.

No, that’s not the case at all. The lorry driver was in the wrong. It even states in the Highway Code you use BOTH lanes and merge in turn.

On a motorcycle, I’m used to filtering past queues and merging when necessary.

Am I selfishly pushing in?

No, because I’m taking less road space at all times than a car would. So I win, and everyone else does too.

:smiley:

Unfortunately,a lot of people are thick.

Merge in turn and zip merge are far beyond their brain capacity.

Someone needs to sit them down and read them the highway code.

:grimacing: