partially restored to include:
1984 ERF 4x2 C series 14lt 410 ■■■■■■■
1977 ERF MW 120 tonne 6x4 heavy haulage (Partially restored) RAN 648R
2 x 1954 Albion HD57T
1968 Seddon Tractor Unit- Gardner 6LX
1960s Seddon Tractor Unit- AEC
1940s Dyson draw bar Trailer
2 x Tandem axle tank semi-trailers

Over 150 additional Lots of Engines, Wheels, Tyres, Lights, Garage Equipment, Spares & Memorabilia +
1938 Lagonda car with Gardner 4LK engine

It’s the collection of Robin Smith - he of Ashworth Products/Fresco of Church, Lancashire.

He has sold up from the company and (somehow) the restored collection were involved - hence they are being sold at auction at the end of the month.

marky:
It’s the collection of Robin Smith - he of Ashworth Products/Fresco of Church, Lancashire.

He has sold up from the company and (somehow) the restored collection were involved - hence they are being sold at auction at the end of the month.

I didn’t realise that he’d sold his business interests, but I’m not surprised that the finance of the restored fleet is linked!

Dennis F:
1938 Lagonda car with Gardner 4LK engine

■■?Surely not original. I guess the Lagonda Club would have kittens at that, but am I wrong?
I used to own a 1938 Packard, originally straight 8 petrol engine, but the Trent bus driver I bought it off had fitted a Perkins 6354. When I tried to join the Classic American Auto Club they were all smiles until the secretary lifted the bonnet. The look of horror on his face when I said I was not looking for an engine was a joy to behold. Membership not excepted.
Back to the Lagonda, my 1952 version had a DB2 engine and was seriously quick. The column change gear linkage was so loose that it was impossible to engage 1st gear. Still beat 'em all away from the lights in 2nd :unamused: :sunglasses: :smiley:

240 Gardner:

marky:

I didn’t realise that he’d sold his business interests, but I’m not surprised that the finance of the restored fleet is linked!

Neither am I. Those splendid Ashworth Products ECs and ECXs are now spread across the country, at least one is still in full livery pulling a scrap tipper in & out of Liverpool. I believe De Mulder bought the AShworth Products half of the business and got rid of the ERFs, replacing them with MB Atrociouses.

]1938 Lagonda car with Gardner 4LK engine

■■?Surely not original. I guess the Lagonda Club would have kittens at that, but am I wrong?

Possibly original David - don’t forget that Bentley fitted Gardner diesel engines, so it’s possible that Lagonda did as well.

marky:

]1938 Lagonda car with Gardner 4LK engine

Possibly original David - don’t forget that Bentley fitted Gardner diesel engines, so it’s possible that Lagonda did as well.

Norman Dodds (Dodds of Troon coaches) had at least one possibly two. But knowing him, he may have fitted it himself. :laughing: :laughing:

marky:
[

Forget it? How could I? I never even knew it :open_mouth: :unamused:

But what a great idea, I thought it was only continental makers who had thought of putting diesels in posh cars (Merc.BM) until Jaguar reluctantly dragged themselves into the 20th/21st century.

The diesel in my Packard worked well until I got into a traffic jam, then it started cooking because in normal use there was no need for a fan, so there wasn’t one :open_mouth: . The other problem was the gearbox (4 speed with a kick down overdrive) wasn’t suited. Obviously with such an engine there was a lot of power but if I hit a hill in overdrive by the time it had disengaged (it was automatic coming out only when the speed dropped drastically) top gear was too high. Apart from that, I loved it. :smiley:

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:22 am Post subject:

I used to own a 1938 Packard, originally straight 8 petrol engine, but the Trent bus driver I bought it off had fitted a Perkins 6354. When I tried to join the Classic American Auto Club they were all smiles until the secretary lifted the bonnet. The look of horror on his face when I said I was not looking for an engine was a joy to behold. Membership not excepted.
Back to the Lagonda, my 1952 version had a DB2 engine and was seriously quick. The column change gear linkage was so loose that it was impossible to engage 1st gear. Still beat 'em all away from the lights in 2nd
TRENT BUS DRIVER ■■?. ONLY ONE BUS COMPANY AT THAT TIME MATE. MIDLAND GENERAL. :laughing: :laughing: :wink: