Inside the Spitfire factory

Anybody watching this documentary series? E4.
About an ex airline pilot who bought up a Spitfire, sourced all the bits to get it flying again.
It’s now worth in excess of 3 million, but he says he’ll never sell it.
He then started a workshop on the site of the old Battle of Britain airfield at Biggin Hill, where he and his team, re.builds (or builds from scratch) and renovates old Spitfires for himself and his customers.
He buys container loads from all over the world of parts, most of them are still brand new in the box, he also gets parts off collectors who only part with them because they know they are to be used to get a one flying again.
I’m on episode 3 where they are renovating an ex RAF Spitfire sold and still owned by the Greek Airforce, they managed to track down the Brit Pilot of it,.along with other Battle of Britain vets,.and take them up in their coverted to 2 seater Spitfire, then these old guys then take over the controls as if they were still regularly flying them today…good to watch.
He also has a fully flying Hurricane and a German Meschersmitt 109 fighter.
Worth watching if this sort of stuff floats yer boat, as it does mine.

Sounds right up my alley that :sunglasses:
What time and day is it on?

You’ll need to watch it on the ‘Watch again’ Channel 4/More 4 app, or on your tv.
I don’t think it’s on live tv anymore, but you will need to search.

robroy:
You’ll need to watch it on the ‘Watch again’ Channel 4/More 4 app, or on your tv.
I don’t think it’s on live tv anymore, but you will need to search.

Pretty sure we’ve got something like that on our tele, I’ve got 3 days off now so I’ll have a look, cheers :sunglasses:

Thanks for posting it up Mr Royrob, ex airline pilots love the small planes for true seat of your pants flying skills instead of the overnight Red Eye flight to New York with hours of boredom sat upfront in a Boeing 777.
Cannot beat the sound of a Spitfire, my grand parents had a free gift from the Luftwaffe, a bomb in their garden, flying so low , they could see their faces, rather than return heavy back to Germany, they would drop bombs to reduce their pay load after a successful mission.And to save fuel.

Tarmaceater:
Thanks for posting it up Mr Royrob, ex airline pilots love the small planes for true seat of your pants flying skills instead of the overnight Red Eye flight to New York with hours of boredom sat upfront in a Boeing 777.
Cannot beat the sound of a Spitfire, my grand parents had a free gift from the Luftwaffe, a bomb in their garden, flying so low , they could see their faces, rather than return heavy back to Germany, they would drop bombs to reduce their pay load after a successful mission.And to save fuel.

I saw a fly past by a Spitfire about 10 yrs ago, me and my mate were out for a day around the bars.
We just stopped and looked with amazement, at the agility of that plane :open_mouth: , and the sound of the Melin engine was something else.
Me and my mate just looked at each other.after it flew off.
I said to him… ‘‘Is it just me that feels emotional and patriotic’’ expecting a reply of ‘‘f.off don’t be daft’’, but he said…
‘‘No you aren’t, I feel just the same’’…strange it was. :neutral_face:

Reports from Spitfire pilots say the aircraft in flight is in synchronisation with the pilots body and controlling the aircraft whereby they become one.
In theory the design and production was ahead of it’s time but let’s not forget our forgotten heroes that are less spoken of, and that is the female pilots who delivered new aircraft from the factory to airfields all over the UK and Europe.
And also the Polish pilots from the Second World War.

Something about the noise a Merlin engine makes…

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

robroy:

Tarmaceater:

I saw a fly past by a Spitfire about 10 yrs ago, me and my mate were out for a day around the bars.
We just stopped and looked with amazement, at the agility of that plane :open_mouth: , and the sound of the Melin engine was something else.
Me and my mate just looked at each other.after it flew off.
I said to him… ‘‘Is it just me that feels emotional and patriotic’’ expecting a reply of ‘‘f.off don’t be daft’’, but he said…
‘‘No you aren’t, I feel just the same’’…strange it was. :neutral_face:

I remember about 10 odd years ago driving a coach with 2 other drivers taking coaches to be hired to the MoD, passing Duxford when a Lanc flew over obviously going to the war museum.
What a sound that Lanc made and I’ll admit sent a shiver down my spine…

youtube.com/watch?v=f3Dd24SzAkc 1.17.30 - 1.19.04 :wink:

We were a long way from actually winning WW2 at that point when that script was written and the view that the Spitfire contained Arthurian type legend in its conception and build was widespread among that generation even before the film was made and I believe it to a degree.It wasn’t an innaccuracy in the film regardless of RR engine naming protocols. :bulb:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_First_ … l_accuracy

If the world ever gets back to normal I would recommend going to the “Flying Legends” air show at Duxford. A few years ago a mate and I were weekended at Alconbury and went. He’s not into planes but was blown away by the whole day, still talks about it yet. Spitfires/Hurricanes/Me109s/Fw190s/Mustangs all there and flying, they even had the Memphis Belle and there re-enactors every where in period costume. Included in the price was entry into Duxford museum which is a must see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The music and ear ■■■■ of eight Merlin engines doing their stuff over my garden. The second one was the Canadian one. I doubt we’ll ever see them together again…

Monkey241:
Something about the noise a Merlin engine makes…

The DB sounds typically evil. :wink:
youtube.com/watch?v=skC08FOSMYk

We’re gonna need a bigger motor. :smiley:
youtube.com/watch?v=8POTLnXuS_I

The Griffon is closer to the R type Schneider winner than the Merlin.It provides an effortless climbe rate and I prefer its more distinct note.

A benfit of living close to RAF Coningsby, the home of The Battle of Britain memorial flight.

the maoster:
The music and ear ■■■■ of eight Merlin engines doing their stuff over my garden. The second one was the Canadian one. I doubt we’ll ever see them together again…

Ironically many parts of the country would have been more familiar with the weird sounding German bombers in the day.
This is a great reproduction of how the old generations described them.As someone has posted in the comments.
youtube.com/watch?v=49CpQJ4G8wA

GOG47:
If the world ever gets back to normal I would recommend going to the “Flying Legends” air show at Duxford. A few years ago a mate and I were weekended at Alconbury and went. He’s not into planes but was blown away by the whole day, still talks about it yet. Spitfires/Hurricanes/Me109s/Fw190s/Mustangs all there and flying, they even had the Memphis Belle and there re-enactors every where in period costume. Included in the price was entry into Duxford museum which is a must see

I took my Dad to Duxford museum, must have been around 20 years ago.
We spent the entire day there, and it was well worth the trip. Since then they have made the museum bigger,.and added another hangar for American planes.
Well worth a visit, …in fact it’s on my to do list when all this present crap is over.
Think they have a scheme where you can sponsor the Memphis Belle for a year, and it includes getting into the air shows,.and you can actually visit and go inside the plane (on the ground) as many times as you want in the year…quite fancy that myself.

Also the RAF museum at Hendon is a good place to visit.

Yep Robroy, we were in the American Hangar, it’s dominated by a SR71 Blackbird hanging from the ceiling.
You being an ex euro man, did you ever visit the Museum at Sinsheim in Germany beside the autobahn(was it the 61 on the way to Stuttgart?)Some really rare kit in there from the German side in WW2

GOG47:
Yep Robroy, we were in the American Hangar, it’s dominated by a SR71 Blackbird hanging from the ceiling.
You being an ex euro man, did you ever visit the Museum at Sinsheim in Germany beside the autobahn(was it the 61 on the way to Stuttgart?)Some really rare kit in there from the German side in WW2

Never did the museums in Germany,.but had a good look around the sights of Berlin.
Arnhem museums and sites in Holland,.Battle of the Bulge sites and museums in Belgium,.Bastogne, Malmedy,.Foye etc and in Lux, and all the sites and many museums in Normandy…and cemeteries in all of the above (German and Allied).

Btw…Where in Germany is the museum that has the intact WW2 U.boat that you can go in to?

robroy:
and cemeteries in all of the above (German and Allied).

Btw…Where in Germany is the museum that has the intact WW2 U.boat that you can go in to?

I visited Oradour in France the place shown at the start of the old World at War series.The reality of what happened there left just as it was as a shrine was crushing and said it all about why we had to take those casualties.

There are two well preserved U boats one at Liverpool/Birkenhead U534 and Kiel U 995.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_submarine_U-534

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_submarine_U-995

Don’t know where the u-boat was, I remember when you could park in Copenhagen beside the Russian submarine and head into town for a night but that’s another story…[emoji1787]