Inside the Spitfire factory

robroy:
Btw…Where in Germany is the museum that has the intact WW2 U.boat that you can go in to?

U-995 is at Kiel. Although damaged during the war, she was repaired and eventually surrendered intact to Norwegian forces at the end of WW2. She was used by the Norwegian navy for several years and eventually sold back to Germany for a symbolic fee of one Deutschmark.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

robroy:
Btw…Where in Germany is the museum that has the intact WW2 U.boat that you can go in to?

U-995 is at Kiel. Although damaged during the war, she was repaired and eventually surrendered intact to Norwegian forces at the end of WW2. She was used by the Norwegian navy for several years and eventually sold back to Germany for a symbolic fee of one Deutschmark.

Cheers mate, I’ll Google it.
I suppose the location is logical,.there was a big U boat pen base there.

On a side note, one of the best museums I went to was The D Day wrecks museum just outside Bayeux.
They raised all the equipment from under the sea off the beaches, the Sherman tanks had a lot of the crew’s personal effects there, some of it was re.united with the owners, it was on the History Channel a few months ago.
I love all this type of stuff…I ain’t JUST beer, blondes,.cars and football you know,.I do have my intellectual side. :laughing: :unamused:

robroy:

Roymondo:

robroy:
On a side note, one of the best museums I went to was The D Day wrecks museum just outside Bayeux.
They raised all the equipment from under the sea off the beaches, the Sherman tanks had a lot of the crew’s personal effects there, some of it was re.united with the owners, it was on the History Channel a few months ago.
I love all this type of stuff…I ain’t JUST beer, blondes,.cars and football you know,.I do have my intellectual side. :laughing: :unamused:

I’ve been to Bayeux and it’s a beautiful place, went there as a passenger on a coach trip doing the Normandy beaches and standing on them really made you realise how much they were sitting ducks :cry:
I’ll watch anything on the tele that’s do with machinery and engineering, shame my OH doesn’t share the same interests though :unamused:

the maoster:
A benfit of living close to RAF Coningsby, the home of The Battle of Britain memorial flight.

About 6years ago the Lancaster flew a tribute over our town for a local soldier killed in Iraq . Standing with us was a 94year old who did 32trips in Lancs , the tears streamed down his face hearing that sound again . He’s gone now , but the memory is always there . Seen the Lancaster over Derwent a couple of times , but that was special .

^^^^ The Lancaster is merely a machine but it’s incredible the effect of seeing or hearing one up close has even the most hardened of men. A mixture of misty eyes and patriotic pride.

As an aside, at an air show I once attended the announcer told the crowd that there was only 12 years between the last Lancaster and the first Vulcan! Staggering. Looks more like 12 light years difference.

the maoster:
^^^^ The Lancaster is merely a machine but it’s incredible the effect of seeing or hearing one up close has even the most hardened of men. A mixture of misty eyes and patriotic pride.

As an aside, at an air show I once attended the announcer told the crowd that there was only 12 years between the last Lancaster and the first Vulcan! Staggering. Looks more like 12 light years difference.

Erm - a Light Year is a measure of distance, not time :wink:

He was wrong anyway - the last Lancaster was produced in 1946, just six years before the first Vulcan flew…

The first Vulcan flew only 11 years after the first Lancaster…

If I recall correctly the Vulcan ENTERED service with the RAF about 1956.

The guide was close enough (if you excuse the light year measure…although as an analogy is apt enough.: the concept of the Vulcan was light years away from the Lanc)

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

I regularly pass (when I’m going out out) the Vulcan on the side of the A15 at Waddington which is the very aircraft that bombed the runway at Port Stanley after the longest bombing mission that the RAF ever undertook.

We’re Brits it’s what we do. :wink:
youtube.com/watch?v=jZLnOlaFGac
youtube.com/watch?v=8DdUwIhI-ZA
youtube.com/watch?v=edClNWhKFEU

Being on the flightpath for the Biggin Hill two seater flights and working a mile from a private airfield with daily Spitfire flights It almost becomes overload - but not quite. I still either look up or go outside for a minute but sometimes it’s half a dozen times a day. I’m noticing more Hurricane flights recently.

I used to be a member of the now defunct Aero Club at Newcastle Airport. Called in one Saturday morning in and parked on the apron was a veteran DC3 on a refuel / overnight stop. The crew were two Canadians who also owned the plane (both must have been in their 80’s) I got talking to them and it transpired they had both been pilots during the Berlin airlift in 1948 / 49. The DC3 they had outside had been flown by one of them during the campaign and they had located and restored it years later. In their retirement they were flying it into air shows all over Europe. Got invited on board for a good look around.
Two great old lads who had some tales to tell. This was about 25 years and I doubt they are still with us.

Tyneside

Taken last year at flying legends… excellent day out.

Where is that?..Duxford?

It used to be held at Duxford, but starting in 2021 it will be at Sywell, here in sunny Northants.

Last year I had the privilege of going up in a spitfire 55 minutes and can tell you it was the most amazing thing I’ve ever done and it makes you feel so emotional and proud of the wonderful job those so brave pilots done and the people all involved god bless all the British forces top regards to the best of the best rowly ward

rigsby:

the maoster:
A benfit of living close to RAF Coningsby, the home of The Battle of Britain memorial flight.

About 6years ago the Lancaster flew a tribute over our town for a local soldier killed in Iraq . Standing with us was a 94year old who did 32trips in Lancs , the tears streamed down his face hearing that sound again . He’s gone now , but the memory is always there . Seen the Lancaster over Derwent a couple of times , but that was special .

In a former life I used to deliver parcels around Lincolnshire, part of that involved the many RAF bases. I had an AAA security pass which expired on my birthday, and unless there was an alert on I could drive onto any base by just showing the pass at the guardhouse. I have spent hours at RAF Waddington watching Vulcans “touch and go” exercises, the sound of those and the smoke trail on full burn was amazing. The Red Arrows were in the skies practising manoeuvres and there were several old Spits and Hurricanes around plus the training planes at Swinderby.

My brother was fortunate enough to fly with the Red Arrows in a 2 seat HAWK, we both worked with a bloke who was an owner driver, he had been a rear gunner in a Lancaster, very few survived that job.