Inquest.

If anyone needs bringing up to speed, this is the event in question viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49184&hilit=mr+vain

I’ve been summonsed to appear in court on the 13th of Jan. Not sure what to expect TBH. Although i do expect it’s gonna cause me some emotional turmoil. I’ve just read thru the above post, quite emotional stuff. So many of you got in touch, i will always be greatful for the support of my friends on TNUK.

So has anyone been to an inquest?

Christ! That came up quick! Best of British, mate.

hi yes it was a long time ago (2000) the coroner wanted to hear my side of the events along with the police officers,worst bit was the guys family asking me if i thought he had deliberatly took his own life. you have nothing to worry about

i went to an inquest quite a few years ago, not to give evidence though, i was there to give support to someone from the family of the person who had died.

it will basically be the same as going to court and giving evidence, it is not there to decide who is guilty or innocent, it is there to try to find out the facts of the case and give a ruling on the cause of the accident/death

never been to one and to be brutally honest hope i never have to.

i wish you luck for it rob and hopefully you will be ok. my thoughts are with you big fella

black knight:
hi yes it was a long time ago (2000) the coroner wanted to hear my side of the events along with the police officers,worst bit was the guys family asking me if i thought he had deliberatly took his own life. you have nothing to worry about

I hope they don’t ask me for my opinion.

Not quite sure what purpose an inquest serves nowadays as it doesn’t always get to the bottom of a case. Let me explain that. An inquest cannot apportion blame to an individual, so if two people are in a room with a knife and one ends up dead, they cannot say it was murder, as that would be apportioning blame to the other and calling him a murderer or if a wrong drug is prescribed they couldn’t say that the drug in question killed someone as that would make the guy who prescribed it responsible. (you can typically blame a health service, but not a specific practitioner)
I’ve, unfortunately, been to a lot of inquests and although they are very formal and stuffy, they don’t need to frighten you. It isn’t nice having to explain to parents or loved ones how and why their partner etc, is dead, but usually they are grateful to know the real bottom line facts and although you might think that this is a little morbid, it seems as if the full facts offer some kind of ‘closure’ for those affected.
It can be emotionally draining though and I would ask if you can be excused as soon as you have done your bit.

never been to one myself mate

but maybe once the verdict is known u’ll have a bit of closure on the whole saga

best of british mate

Yes it will be an emotional time for you — hearing everything gone over in minute detail will bring it all back. Seeing the guy’s relatives will be hard too.

You won’t want to be driving after so get a lift or a taxi. They won’t ask you anything you didn’t already say in your statement and it will be made clear that the procedure is designed to bring out all the relevant facts around the accident.

I believe that afterwards it comes as a relief to know (as far as possible) exactly what happened. A kind of closure for you, as well as everyone else involved.

I’ve not been on here all that long, so only just read up on the situation.

I’ve never been to an ‘inquest’ but I would assume it isn’t too disimilar from a court hearing, and if you are ‘questioned’ then its only questions on whats wriiten in your statement.

I hope it brings some closure for you and your family, and the family of the other party.

MR VAIN:

If they do then give it as a professional driver.
You ain’t no ‘average driver’ so your opinion holds quite a bit of weight - this is why the police get the view of the professional driver first at the scene of any incident.

EDIT & ADD -

MR VAIN
FROM HERE
:
When i attend the coroners court in 12 days time i’ll tell them it was my fault he died because i was obeying the speed limit and he was impatient.

Just give them the FACTS unless an opinon as to how the situation could have been made safer is asked for (very unlikely as that is for others to determine)

If asked if this sort of impatience is common amongst other road users when coming across a LGV at the legal 40 limit on a SC NSL then give an honest answer from your personal experiences.

If your answer is yes, and many more are the same, then it will come to the attention (eventually) of those that can consider doing something about it.

BE HONEST AND GIVE YOUR PROFESSIONAL OPINION IF ASKED

MR VAIN:

black knight:

If they do, give it with both barrels, he drove like a complete pratt, it could have been even worse than it actually was.

I see the shrine has been taken down aswell, these “boy” racer types are a complete menace, and, when they are in their 30 / 40s, its a complete embarrassment IMHO.

Top Gear has a lot to answer for… :imp:

All the best for 2010 Rob, and, keep your chin up.

Which court is it at?

In my previous career on the railway, i attended quite a few inquests as a company representative and to support the train driver who was giving evidence.

Nearly all of the cases i attended were suicides and ruled as such. Unfortunately with such things there is often a lot of denial, anger and unanswered questions from the family, and they do sometimes seek to try and make sense of it by finding others to blame, rather than accept that a loved one took their own life.

The medical evidence tends to be quite brief unless there are significant factors, i have never attended an inquest where they described in detail the injuries that would have been sustained by jumping under a train, and i would imagine the situation would be similar for a RTC. They would give a cause of death without going into lots of detail. The coroner would have all the necessary detail in front of him anyway, and would only seek to question the Pathologist if there were doubts as to the cause of death.

If there is a suspicion that it is a suicide, then i would imagine there will be evidence given about the persons background, including mental health issues, debt etc to try and establish a possible reason for it.

I would guess that they would then hear evidence from the witnesses, then the Police investigation and finally the Coroner would give his verdict. The difference would be if this were being heard in front of a jury, which does happen in some Coroners courts, i know that Birmingham Coroners court operate with a jury, or they did the last time i was there. Then it is for the jury to decide upon a verdict under the guidance of the Coroner.

I will say that every Coroner i have seen, has been thoroughly professional and will certainly not allow witnesses to be subject to any undue pressure or accusations. They stress that the purpose of the inquest is determine the facts of what happened and not to apportion blame.

Have you got anyone who is going to attend with you for support?

Normally the Police have a liaison officer who spends most of their time dealing with inquests etc. The British Transport Police’s officer for the West Midlands was absolutely superb in supporting the train drivers that were called and really made the process a lot less painful that it might have been.

I have tried to give as accurate a picture as i can from my own experiences, and i would say that it was never as bad as i had expected it to be.

good luck with this

hopefully put some closure to it and give you a better 2010

good luck mate,
just stick to the facts as you saw them, you was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I had to attend an inquest into the death of a 10 year old who fell under a trailer.
Hardest part was decribing the events in a fashion that minimised the gruesome facts for the family whilst still giving accurate info.
Good luck mate, its not a lot of fun.

Although I have never given evidence at an inquest, I have attended two through deaths in my family, and although the details in both were uncomfortable for the witnesses to talk about, for me it gave a way of getting thing straight in my head and made me able to get on with my own life.
It may seem to you that by giving evidence it could upset the family of the deceased, but as much as they may find the proceedings upsetting, to know what really happened will help them in their healing process I am sure.
I know it helped me a lot.

all the best,

PS. It may help you if you attend an inquest before you attend yours own just so you can see how things happen, it should ease your concern about them.

No experience of an inquest (thank God), but I hope you get through it OK

Rob you have nothing to fear, from the inquest, and hopfully as in my case it will give you a sense of closure, as the facts will prove your innocence.

As ever guys and girls, you are of great support and comfort. it doesn’t matter how tough you are or how strong, you never know whats gonna drop you to your knees. A few weeks ago i found out his name, age and what his family and friends thought about him thru the obits. That was a little tough, up until then he was a nobody.

I have one thing that really bothers me,and that was my own behavior at the scene. I was very outspoken and unsympathetic. Angry infact. Still not sure if i should feel ashamed or justified. :confused: