Info wanted on bulk tippers

I’ve been working with curtainsiders since I started driving lorries last year and I’m going into a new job on bulk tippers with zero experience so im just wondering what to expect.

Your reversing skills to sharpen real fast…

Well done on the new job, I’ve only been driving box trailers for the short time I’ve been trucking, I am very keen to try tippers. The “Older and Wiser” drivers I’ve asked about bulk tippers always say the same thing “They go over easily!!!” :unamused:

You will be running max weight most of the time. A vast difference to fridge work. It can be a mucky job. You don’t tend to be hanging about as much as other driving.

On the whole not the most helpful of drivers. They only tip over if you lift whilst not straight. They tip over if you drive like a knob. They need respect.

Good experience though

Congratulations on the new job :smiley:
Right, if you’re on scrap watch your tyres,
if you’re on aggregates that’s mainly quarry work, wear your hi viz, do you have a epic card? as most quarry’s request to see it.
If you’re on the grain be prepared to sit about a lot in the mills.
When tipping make sure you’re as level as you can get it, they will go up leaning a bit BUT DONT TAKE RISKS!!!
IF IN DOUT ASK :sunglasses: Most machine drivers/Weighbridge staff will help as well as most drivers, I think you’ll be fine mate :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

midlifetrucker:
You will be running max weight most of the time. A vast difference to fridge work. It can be a mucky job. You don’t tend to be hanging about as much as other driving.

On the whole not the most helpful of drivers. They only tip over if you lift whilst not straight. They tip over if you drive like a knob. They need respect.

they can also tip over in windy conditions :frowning: even if you are on level ground

“They go over easily!!!” :unamused:
[/quote]
I have driven them for 47 years and never put one over, and nor have any of my mates in normal circumstances, it can happen with a mechanical failure, or the load sticking. Sadly in most cases it’s caused by dummy’s tipping on unlevel ground.

I had a few years on 8 wheelers and artics, try and supervise the loading if possible and make sure the load is evenly distributed and not down one side of the body.

Be careful if you’re hauling scrap always have a good look at your tyres when tipped if the load is down one side of the body use the ground to compensate EG; loaded down the right side lean it a little to the left simple, be extremely careful when opening barn type doors part of the load may fall out and the door can be flung open (I know someone who lost their left leg below the knee).

The best tip I was ever given was if the ram goes up 2 notches without going over then it’s not going to go over.

A wife beater vest and some rigger boots and a complete disregard for the highway code is a must.

^ lol! and don’t forget to wear orange trousers as well :blush:

midlifetrucker:
On the whole not the most helpful of drivers.

Disagree wholeheartedly with this :imp: :imp: I, as a tipper driver will help anyone!!! and have been helped by other tipper drivers when new on sites!!!

Speaking ‘in general’ as you have, it could be said that not a lot of drivers are helpful…if you get my drift!!

dri-diddly-iver:

midlifetrucker:
On the whole not the most helpful of drivers.

Disagree wholeheartedly with this :imp: :imp: I, as a tipper driver will help anyone!!! and have been helped by other tipper drivers when new on sites!!!

Speaking ‘in general’ as you have, it could be said that not a lot of drivers are helpful…if you get my drift!!

Amen :sunglasses:

And nowadays that is true I am afraid. Too many too quick to film a mistake or watch someone struggle on a reverse.

My opinion from my experience.

One thing I learnt fast was be careful with the sheet when it’s very windy. When the wind gets under it you won’t hold it back!! I was carting bio mass for power station fuel and you can soon get overweight so watch it as your loading. I started on tippers with only doing curtainsider work you will soon pick it up just take your time.

I’ve been on tippers for a few years now,
Can be a dirty job,I always put my overalls on when tipping wheat etc, just make sure you tip on level ground with the unit and trailer in line. If it goes up looking like it’s leaning then drop it down and adjust the position of the truck to get it level.
If it’s a grain trailer and your loading aggregates watch for how it’s loaded as some loaders can’t get the height on the bucket and often it ends up all to one side.
Don’t be scared of refusing to tip if your not happy,trust me the boss would rather have that phone call then the one after you’ve laid it over.
As said careful with the sheet in the wind,when I started on them I made the rookie mistake of pulling the sheet over in high wind wearing no gloves, let’s just say I still have the scars :laughing:
Despite what you hear,most drivers will help if needed,lost count of the times I asked for advice and never came across one who wouldn’t help.
Good luck with the job and if you need any help or advice give me a shout :sunglasses:

Always sweep it out, no one wants fertiliser in there grain. If loading stone or sand, throw the rope for pulling the cover over to the other side.
When parked at night, water can lodge on the cover if left closed.
Unless tipping into a hopper, keep the ram moving. An old timer once told me that it’s unlikely to tip over while going up or down, only while stopped.
I enjoy tipper work, you meet some characters.

It must be 20 years since I last did bulk tippers. Just interested to know, do they till tip unit and trailer at Cargills in Hull?. First time I did it the inside of my cab looked like a grenade had gone off :smiley:

Carry a stilson wrench (for loose hydraulics), a sledge hammer (for sticky loads), a shovel and a brush. Like any other driving job, never be afraid to ask, there’s no such thing as a stupid question.

Most places won’t let you sweep out in there yard h/s reasons. you will get filthy everyday, mouth full of dust due to sweeping out ash or cement. careful tipping make sure you are on a flat surface when tipping witch you wont find much because the places you tip at are ■■■■ holes. make sure you put correct weight in otherwise they won’t allow you to leave site so get your shovel out. don’t be scared of graft because you have to. be good with a map because a sat nav will not help with some of your destinations. always tip against the wind or risk going over, always stay in cab when tipping with seat belt on, and get ready to meet some miserable folk on weigh bridges to big for there boots. more graft than a builders labourer. :open_mouth: but apart for that its real crap.

10000kg on the front,10000kg on the back the rest in the middle, then give it a good shunt in both forward and reverse.
Better than multi drop work. Good luck.