Info request - overnight parking facilities

as i seem to have been given the role of highlighting our problems i would like to appeal to anyone who has to park up overnight. the trampers would be the best ones to answer this post but anyone who has to spend the occasional night out would do. the problem i have highlighted as our biggest is the lack of secure parking facilities which leaves trucks and drivers vulnerable to attacks and thefts. the information i am looking for just now is an approximate number of SECURE parking facilities (MSAs dont count) throughout the UK and i would like to know how many have closed over the past few years.

additionally, if anyone has been unfortunate enough to have suffered from any type of truck crime i would like details either here or by pm.

thanks

Heston both sides have had curtains done.

lymm supposedly secure i’ve had fuel stolen and curtains slashed. it’s a fact the security at these places are only concerned with making sure every pays.

approximate number of SECURE parking facilities (MSAs dont count) throughout the UK

Not a T&D reader then Scanny? I covered the answer to that very question just a few months ago, and I don’t mean approximately either.

At the time the answer was 4 plus one in Scotland. Now the answer is 5 plus one in Scotland. :wink:

i havent been able to find any truck magazines for a while Lucy so i am out of date on current events in the trucking industry. i am aware of ongoing problems with the opportunity of highlighting them from the inside rather than the outside. i have managed to get a little interest so i need to push the issue with facts and since its the drivers who are on the front line, where better to get the facts that i need?
i will be requesting information from the industry media and truckpol too but i want to hear from drivers too. you lot are the ones who see what is going on so your information is second to none.
the angle i am pushing is the fact that thousands of trucks are parked up in laybys every night due to a lack of secure facilities. my aim is to contribute to some kind of government action to create new parking places either throught a national network or through local authority and to force MSAs to provide better facilities for us. the first step is to educate the party members of the precise problems and consequences of the current lack of interest. RT has some very useful articles but i want personal experiences too

Lucy:

approximate number of SECURE parking facilities (MSAs dont count) throughout the UK

Not a T&D reader then Scanny? I covered the answer to that very question just a few months ago, and I don’t mean approximately either.

At the time the answer was 4 plus one in Scotland. Now the answer is 5 plus one in Scotland. :wink:

Lucy, i too very rarely get the chance to read a trucking mag. Can you name those 5 here? Just wondered if Crewe was one one?

[1]Truckersworld (Titan Truckstop?)at Thurrock, secure.
[2]Teebay (junc 38),secure (park marque accreditation),
[3]Heywood, North of Manchester, secure.
[4]Avonmouth truckstop, secure.
[5]Ellsmere Port (junc 8,M53),secure.
[6]Long Marston Industrial est.(Near Stratford on Avon), secure.
[7]Crewe truckstop, secure.

Priority Freight A2 Dover MOD approved. £500,000 spent on security

BP Carlisle?

Rugby?

What about Holmewood■■?

Seemed secure enough the last time I was in there, and the staff were very heplfull aswell. The woman in the shop let me off 12p for a pint of milk.

Mr B:
lymm supposedly secure i’ve had fuel stolen and curtains slashed. it’s a fact the security at these places are only concerned with making sure every pays.

i dont regard lymm as either secure or a truckstop. it is an independant MSA with a shop for trucking accessories! compare lymm to carlisle truckstop (2 that i am familiar with) and the differences are quite evident. lymm has no control over who enters the truck park which results in cars nipping through all the time. coach parking should be not be in a truck park as they rarely park for the night so a section of the car park where they are not disturbing anyone would be more suitable. carlisle has a security guard who can watch entry and exit from one place and he does patrol. while the patrol wont stop other truckers from getting up to no good, at least he can control who gets in which is a step in the right direction.
im fighting for facilities that you lot can go to and feel safe when you climb on the bunk and i have suggested that the profits should be made from the sale of goods rather than the parking charge. i have listed the bare necessities as secure parking with access to showers, toilets and food. i know more facilities would be better but if i take the ■■■■ they are not going to listen to me. i need to be realistic from both sides :confused:

scanny77:

Mr B:

i dont regard lymm as either secure or a truckstop. it is an independant MSA

Agree it certainly can’t be classed as secure. Its no longer independantly owned, been part of the GRANADA/MOTO group for some years now.

jenkinsons penrith is secure parking n not bad priced at 14 quid with fre shower n discount meal voucher

scanny77:
im fighting for facilities that you lot can go to and feel safe when you climb on the bunk and i have suggested that the profits should be made from the sale of goods rather than the parking charge.?

realistically, read Rikki’s post/poll at the top of the forum - 63 % self cater ! how are Truckstops going to make a profit from this 63% ( or even cover their costs) - sorry but you wouldn’t get finance with that in your business plan !

scotstrucker:
jenkinsons penrith is secure parking n not bad priced at 14 quid with fre shower n discount meal voucher

i stayed at penrith a few weeks ago… the food was nice but well over priced and i wont be going again.

i stayed at j29 m1 chesterfield on thurs night and what a blinding place that is. food was excellent fresh and hot and very cheap with my £3 voucher of came to £2.20. :wink: showers are all in :open_mouth: and as i was starting at 2 am there was 2 security cars going round.

ive always been put off from j29 as ive had breakfast there before and its always crap but dinner… i will stay there again.

I’ve stayed at Riggend Lorry Park for years. Basic facilities, cafe over the road, but never had a security problem. Not a very big place and gates locked at 9 or 10pm. On A73 about 3 miles from junction with A80, between ■■■■■■■■■■■ and Airdrie.

j29 does a nice dinner but agree with ya bowt the breakfasts

I could not care less about security, it is not my fuel or my load, all i care about is the showers and washing facilites, and the majority are filthy and and inadecute {sp) Lymn is a disgrace, orwell is spotless but the food is overpriced but good, Crawford arms is excellent. as is a chinese near bellshill :laughing: i tend to find somewhere quiet and out of the way. knowone will help us your boss could not care less flogging a dead horse with any MP, the police dont give a toss, ur on your own, i use a metal bar and a spray for anyone who wants to risk it, keep windows shut and doors locked, oh and dont stop for people pretending to be vosa, but what do i know i have only been a driver for 26 years.

dundee truckstop is ok but it closing in october, the only services after dundee is stracathro nr brechin, the food is overpriced and depending on time of day you go in wont be that nice either, however the petrol station has a selection of frozen meals you can heat up in micro

oh forgot the hornshoe at dundee, it only parks about 8 trucks but does a good meal

I stand by my point that the security at every truckstops is only charged with ensuring everyone pays for the privalege not their customers safety. At how many uk trucksstops do you see guards like the one in this months T&D at all4trucks calais.
Every city in the uk should have a statutory obligation to provide safe if not secure parking for trucks in their area this could be based population.