Info request - overnight parking facilities

Denis F:

scanny77:
im fighting for facilities that you lot can go to and feel safe when you climb on the bunk and i have suggested that the profits should be made from the sale of goods rather than the parking charge.?

realistically, read Rikki’s post/poll at the top of the forum - 63 % self cater ! how are Truckstops going to make a profit from this 63% ( or even cover their costs) - sorry but you wouldn’t get finance with that in your business plan !

i am not suggesting this as a business plan. i mean that council built and run truck parking would be cheaper to park (not free) and any profit would be made from sales. private truckstops would obviously do what they want but i would at least expect the basic facilities as a matter of basic standards. i am not prepared to fight for free parking or nice comfy beds but basic requirements should be made compulsory and that includes secure parking. they are happy to provide car parking for shoppers but not parking for those who supply the shops with goods. that is what i want to see changing. i want to see every local council being forced to provide parking for trucks, preferably secure but that may be a further development. i am still getting stupid and ignorant remarks so along with yourselves, i am hoping to put a concise case together using information from truckpol and T & D. if necessary i will use different angles like health and safety, human rights, civility, morality, basic human standards etc to make my point.
we have been fighting for this for years and rightly so. i am not going to give up on it :imp:

Dafman:
I could not care less about security, it is not my fuel or my load, all i care about is the showers and washing facilites

i appreciate your point and agree that the truck and load is not the drivers problem BUT who is in the cab? there are different arguements on our side such as the fact that the driver is at risk doing their job so i am giving news reports about attacks. then there are the crime figures and costs which totalled around £2 million in february this year alone. i havent even touched on the psychological effects that being victim to an attack would have or the effect on road safety when it is possible for a driver to be disturbed by a theft or suspected theft. i have mentioned that driver who died when someone set fire to pallets under his truck when he was asleep. these conditions are completely unnacceptable and i am going to convince the party of that! no-one else us expected to put up with these conditions and no-one else would tolerate them so why should you?

I can only list the truckstops I know about but secure and truckstop do not normally come together.

1. Ashford
  2. Avonmouth
  3. Rugby
  4. Carlisle
  5. Riggend

Plenty of other good places to stop like Crewe or Hull Priory Park, Lockerbie and Hellaby Stockyard.

But as already mentioned, the security guards main job is to fit wheel clamps and check parking tickets.

give me a break. i am trying to help you lot here :laughing:

to be fair, we are all going to have different ideas on what is and is not secure. again, being realistic, we will not be given army bases to park in but if local councils provide fenced in hard standings with properly controlled entry/exit points, we are on the right track. that is my objective! we are talking about carlisle as apposed to tebay to give you an idea of my thoughts on secure parking. the facilities are secondary to my main focus which is from a safety point of view.

the wheel clampers are on my agenda too but lets stick to one thing at a time :wink:

I appreciate what you are trying to do here Scanny & you have my support.

Get your lot to compulsorily purchase land for next to nothing and I don’t mean one or two plots, I mean literally thousands, all capable of coping with at “least” fifty wagons. Offer this land to whom ever is willing to run it on free parking, or free parking with 3 course meal £10 all in. Nearly every country in Western Europe can do it, why can’t it be done here? Insist MSA’s build restaurants specifically for transport drivers and all offering healthy quality meals and not the pre-cooked, re-heated slop they buy in bulk from hundreds of miles away from some slop factory. Put a tax on all businesses that take deliveries.
Huge changes are required and just painting over the cracks is as good as doing nothing. If your lot aren’t prepared to do it right, why bother doing anything at all? It needs sorting and it’s needed sorting for years.