Info req`d for Stobbies Barlborough M1 J30

Im getting repeated requests by several agencies to do shifts there, both at the weekend, and during the week. So far ive turned the work down.
But anyone worked for em, or done agency shifts there, Whats the setup, what can I expect work/hours etc if I go in there.

I don’t work there Pierre but it’s a 2 min walk from my house. A mate of mine has just started there full time. He works Tues- Sat and says he’s around 65 hours a week. Early starts ( 3 -4 ish ) but the work is easy as it’s trunking to other Tesco RDC’s. Once there it’s a trailer swap and back or if it’s a local (middleton) you may be asked to tip at a store on the way back.

Tesco store deliveries and having every millimetre of your movements monitored, so don’t plan on pulling round the corner from a store after delivering to get your head down for an hour cos it won’t work ! :laughing:

Tesco store deliveries and having every millimetre of your movements monitored, so don’t plan on pulling round the corner from a store after delivering to get your head down for an hour cos it won’t work

Never worked like that when my mate ran out of there for them.

In fact,he got a phone call last Wednesday from one of the managers,saying they were desperate for a driver,to do a trunk to Livingston and back,and as he had now left them,and gone down the self employed route,would he be interested.

So as they were really desperate,he gave them a price,told them that travelling costs were extra, (As he lives in Barnsley.) and all was plus vat,to which they agreed,so he printed his invoice off,and took it with him. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

So I’m guessing that there is plenty of work out of there,and I would see who is paying the most,and go sign up with them.

Ken.

Yes the isotrak is gonna get ya!!

jase:
Yes the isotrak is gonna get ya!!

Especially if anyone knows how it works. I get calls all the time from my new planner. Where are you?

Where does the satelite say i am? I dont know, I dont trust it!

Well why do you trust me then? :smiley: I will be at the customer in about 5 minutes. I am only 250 kilometres away :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve worked 4 or 5 shifts for agency out of there. 1 was tesco trailer to Magor - swap and back with empty. 1 was trailer to store in Swindon. The rest were Middlewich and wait for load for store delivery.
The runs from Barlboro’ were superb i.e. 8 - 10 hours and stress free, but I simply hate Middlewich. Plus I got the runs from there that nobody else wanted i.e. Newcastle and Gateshead which were right on the limit for time.
Seasoned drivers seemed to know how to play it and hung around for hours till the right load came up for them.
The kits good though which helps. I didn’t know my every move was under the scope though! Good job I’m a decent honest lad…
C
P.S. I was expected to help unload at the stores which I wasn’t at all happy with (from a health and safety point of view - obviously!)

Seasoned drivers seemed to know how to play it and hung around for hours till the right load came up for them.

That statement alone rules me out then, I would want the first available load and get down the road rather than sat in a waiting room with some whinging drivers. You can talk about me when I have gone :stuck_out_tongue:

steelman1828:
I was expected to help unload at the stores which I wasn’t at all happy with

thats probably the norm with store deliveries anywhere.

steelman1828:
Newcastle and Gateshead which were right on the limit for time.

As for being given long runs and them maxing your hours out. thats what were there for, surely aint that when agy drivers earn most money, earning more in overtime than in the 1st 8hrs. you just have to be careful it doesn`t screw up your bookings for the following day

Wheel Nut:
That statement alone rules me out then, I would want the first available load and get down the road rather than sat in a waiting room with some whinging drivers. You can talk about me when I have gone :stuck_out_tongue:

same here, Spose Ill keep dodging the place for a while longer then

You can talk about me when I have gone

We do. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ken.

peirre:
Im getting repeated requests by several agencies to do shifts there, both at the weekend, and during the week. So far ive turned the work down.
But anyone worked for em, or done agency shifts there, Whats the setup, what can I expect work/hours etc if I go in there.

Paul,if you go to Barlborough ask 'em if they want a shunter. :laughing:
Get yersen over there,can’t be much worse than MBF Maltby contract was. :unamused:
By the way have you worked in Derbyshire before?You will be a "youth"or a “serry”.
They used to say,
“Derbyshire born,Derbyshire bred,
Strong in t’arm,
Weak in t’ead.”
Until I found out “weak” should have read “wick” (sharp) :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
Better gerroff,seeing as I am a “dee-dah”. :grimacing:

Ey up Pierre,
I’m a part time driver and although I wouldn’t do it for nothing, i’m doing it for experience and sheer bloody enjoyment! I like short runs if possible so I can be home for tea,as we say in Rotherham.
Its a bit like a kid wanting to drive a digger… (don’t they run on red diesel■■?)

Also, i thought dee daahs were banned from this forum. Thats the only reason I use it!
C
P.S. my agencies opinion of stobbies is " they want their pound of flesh" (or something…)

steelman1828:
Ey up Pierre,
I’m a part time driver and although I wouldn’t do it for nothing, i’m doing it for experience and sheer bloody enjoyment! I like short runs if possible so I can be home for tea,as we say in Rotherham.
Its a bit like a kid wanting to drive a digger… (don’t they run on red diesel■■?)

Also, i thought dee daahs were banned from this forum. Thats the only reason I use it!
C
P.S. my agencies opinion of stobbies is " they want their pound of flesh" (or something…)

Now then 1828.Sorry, can’t help being a “dee-dah”.I worked at Maltby from 1978 to 2005 - started as a dee dah and ended as a dee dah. :stuck_out_tongue: .
Used to call Maltbyites “pit moggies” but they just cut me dead with “SUPER pit moggies” :smiley: :smiley: .
It’s a wonder we gorrowt done for laughing-best job I ever had. :grimacing:

Forgot to say that there’s no escape - I’m called a “dee-dah” in t’Isle of Man! :laughing:

Hi Chris
Are you a tax exile?
I lived in Maltby in 1984/5 during the strike. What were you doing at the time?
I worked in the steelworks and had to buy everyones beer in the pub!
A few weeks ago I did a multi drop in Lancs for polypipe and one of the drops had an address for the Isle of Man, I thought I was going for a ride on the ferry but I just had to take it to the docks at Glasson.
Are the locals happy having a dee dah on their island?
C

steelman1828:
Hi Chris
Are you a tax exile?
I lived in Maltby in 1984/5 during the strike. What were you doing at the time?
I worked in the steelworks and had to buy everyones beer in the pub!
A few weeks ago I did a multi drop in Lancs for polypipe and one of the drops had an address for the Isle of Man, I thought I was going for a ride on the ferry but I just had to take it to the docks at Glasson.
Are the locals happy having a dee dah on their island?
C

No I’m not a tax exile pal :slight_smile: .My wife’s grandparents were Manx (we’ve all got a cross to bear :wink: ) so she persuaded me to come and live over here when we both retired.
No problem being a dee dah ovver here,as long as you buy your round they are not fussy - the place is full of Irish and Scots so you can have a good craic with them :laughing: .
I worked at Glass Glover (MFS) on the Littlewoods contract on Rotherham Road,Maltby.I was on neets regular on drawbar work for 7 years and then went on shifts shunting.Wincanton :angry: took over in 1991 and the contract finished in 1994.I took my redundancy and went back tanker driving for a bloke at Barlborough for a few months,then went back to Maltby on another contract shunting for Wincanton.Not the same atmosphere,some rayt miserable,stroppy chuffs in charge but they soon got sorted :slight_smile: .
Then that contract expired and I was made redundant again in July 2005 so you can see I’ve served my time in Maltby!
Yes,I remember the 1984 Miners strike very well,especially the convoys of coke waggons from Orgreave at night with the hauliers names blanked out and mesh windscreen protectors.There was a lot of bad feeling in Maltby as some of the lads went into that Notts union - the U.D.M.W. I think it was and transferred to the Notts pits.Even as late as 2005 I was told by one warehouse lad that there was still one family in Maltby split and not talking to each other after all those years. :open_mouth:
You should have run up to Heysham with that bit of Polypipe gear and come across.I would have got t’beer in even though I’m a "dee-dah. :grimacing:
Are you on agency work full time?

My neighbour’s wife is a Manxwoman.

Her parents still live on t’island,and they go across about 4-5 times a year.

Ken.

Quinny:
My neighbour’s wife is a Manxwoman.

Her parents still live on t’island,and they go across about 4-5 times a year.

Ken.

Well worth a visit Quinny,nice countryside,nice walks and more laid back than UK.Howling easterly gale at the moment but sun’s just come out.
If you don’t like motorbikes don’t come in TT fortnight. :smiley:
By the way I see you are from Ossett.There was a tanker firm,Fred somebody on Owl Lane - is he still going do you know?

steelman1828:
A few weeks ago I did a multi drop in Lancs for polypipe

You poor sod! Took a full time job there in April and lasted until mid June. Worst company I have ever had the misfortune to work for. :laughing:

Hi Chris…

I’ve worked in the steelworks since I left school, but I remember driving past the coal tipper convoy on my way down the M1 on earlies at BSC Stainless at Tinsley ( laterly Avesta and Outokumpu).
I work for Corus ( formerly British Steel) now but drive for an agency on my days off.
I like driving but I don’t know whether I could do it full time.
I wouldn’t mind tankers but I think I might be a bit long in the tooth at 44 to start from scratch.
I think you’re in the best place mate, it might turn into Englands last bastion of culture. There will be about 50 million of us trying to get a ferry over there soon!
C