In Cab Kettles

Can anyone give me advice on in cab kettles, what’s best 12/24V and how long do they take to boil water? Value for money? Any info appreciated-tired of luke warm tea from my flask
cheers

get a camp stove n kettle :bulb:

They are all a waste of space and time, get a cassette type gas stove.

Personally I’ve found the Waeco 24v kettle to be the best.

Comes with a mounting bracket so you can switch it on and boil up before you arrive, two big mug fulls of water boiled in about 8 minutes. Importantly it has a switch and an LED to show when it’s on. That seems daft but I had a big red kettle which you just plug in and it switches off quietly when it has boiled. If you miss hearing it switch off you don’t know if it is about to boil or if you have to wait about 5 minutes until it cools off and starts to reboil.

They are quite expensive but the gas cartridges are not cheap and don’t last forever, they also require an element of setting up before you have a brew. Possibly a better option if you are doing a bit of cooking too but I’ll stick with my kettle.

Gas cartridges are normally four for a fiver from your local High Street discounter.

Have you thought of these ?

shop.jetboil.com/index.php/sol-cooking-ti.html

I use them for camping in the Lakes and they are great. About 3 minutes to boil water.

dentonkarl:
I use them for camping in the Lakes

Surely your tent would sink?

Gas stove and kettle, boils in 3 minutes, and with the cold weather round the corner with a small camping pan set warm meals as well.

Can’t cook stew or pasta in a electric kettle !

I’ve had a load of kettles and I suppose that gives you an idea to start with. 12 or 24 volt all have the same problem - they burn out plugs and often sockets. 12v last longer but most droppers wont handle the current. I have replaced loads of plugs but have yet to find one which lasts for very long.
I have learned that you should not use them when moving - the vibrations cause a poor connection and the plug and socket get even hotter. As soon as the kettle has boiled remove the plug to allow it and the socket to cool down asap.
I suppose a gas cooker is the answer but I’m not happy having all that naked flame in the cab and more weight to carry around.

tried one of them 12v kettles , what a waste of time 30 mins to boil , put in bin on the services best place for it

whet back to my trusty old camping stove n kettle boils in mins everytime

I’ve been very please with this 24v All Ride (usually avoid as most of their stuff is crap) one someone recommended on here. Has lasted quite a while and pretty quick to boil enough for a cup:

ebay.co.uk/itm/All-Ride-24V- … 416b9c7f47

I have a gas stove with me and use that if I want to boil enough water to wash up, too much hassle for a single cuppa IMHO

gardun:
I’ suppose a gas cooker is the answer but I’m not happy having all that naked flame in the cab and more weight to carry around.

I use a similar one to this m.outdoorgear4u.co.uk/category/t … -stove.php

Gas cannister last 2 months, if I’m out 4 nights a week, I have it in the middle of the seats on a metal plate so its stable and open the hatch for ventilation, common sense stuff really.

I won’t pay for overpriced coffee at £3/4

ebay.co.uk/itm/TREKMATES-FLA … 4ab59b4cd0

One for your cups of tea or coffee “other hot drinks are Available”

ebay.co.uk/itm/Trekmates-Fla … 1e6dcfaa25

Camping Cooker does it for me

*** edit as iv found it :laughing: ***

gardun:
I’ve had a load of kettles and I suppose that gives you an idea to start with. 12 or 24 volt all have the same problem - they burn out plugs and often sockets. 12v last longer but most droppers wont handle the current. I have replaced loads of plugs but have yet to find one which lasts for very long.
I have learned that you should not use them when moving - the vibrations cause a poor connection and the plug and socket get even hotter. As soon as the kettle has boiled remove the plug to allow it and the socket to cool down asap.
I suppose a gas cooker is the answer but I’m not happy having all that naked flame in the cab and more weight to carry around.

Very few cigarette lighter sockets have a high enough amp rating for kettles, which is what causes the slow boiling/hot plugs etc.
I changed the socket in my Volvo to one rated for 20 amps (£5 on ebay and a 5 minute job to fit), changed the 10a fuse for a 20a and now have no problems with the Waeco kettle I use.

Very few cigarette lighter sockets have a high enough amp rating for kettles, which is what causes the slow boiling/hot plugs etc.
I changed the socket in my Volvo to one rated for 20 amps (£5 on ebay and a 5 minute job to fit), changed the 10a fuse for a 20a and now have no problems with the Waeco kettle I use.
[/quote]
have you got a link for one of those sockets on e-bay? got one of those 24volt waeco kettles today

thanks

pump:
have you got a link for one of those sockets on e-bay?

thanks

ebay.co.uk/itm/330752473024? … 1439.l2649

AJF3011:

pump:
have you got a link for one of those sockets on e-bay?

thanks

ebay.co.uk/itm/330752473024? … 1439.l2649

thanking you sir!

I have somethimg like this , althought im not away all week every week it does for me , if i was away more id need something a bit bigger but its fine for brewing up .

google.co.uk/products/catalo … CEMQ8wIwAQ

bowser:
I have somethimg like this , althought im not away all week every week it does for me , if i was away more id need something a bit bigger but its fine for brewing up .

google.co.uk/products/catalo … CEMQ8wIwAQ

Yes, I generally use a 240v electric kettle but I have one of those as a back-up because I need to run the engine to power the 240v and sometimes it’s a bit anti-social to do that.

They’re excellent, just don’t buy the gas cartridges up the road because you can find them at 4 for £5 in local shops whereas they are at last twice as much in truckstops.

Im going to see if i can find somewhere local to buy them harry , i usually call in at knutsford .

I hate running out it does my nut in but im happy with it …