in at the deep end.

If there’s any chaps out there in Europe i will be needing all the advice i can get, im a newby with 1 weeks artic experience and i have just been told i will be ferrying out of Malta next week for Europe, i have been given a Iveco Stralis 500 left hand drive, i have no idea what to expect of for that matter what to do really, what a time to send a newby out north in this weather■■? that’s the Maltese ? well i have to learn some how, im a little worried so if there’s a British CB channel i can go on for advice please let me know.

Prime and test the night heater,pack a thermos flask,pyjamas in case the night heater fails.Listen to 107.7 FM radio if transiting France,they have regular bulletins in English,but lately that has not happened,mainly English in the summer for car tourists.If the Gendarmarie flag you over to park you up,do it,or heavy fine,as thats due to weather,the road they stop you on may be fine,but further up the road there may be ice and hilly roads,especially in the Vesoul,Besancon,or 39 area of France,called the Jura area.The area they call the “Corridor” is the only time you can drive all year round and on Sundays in France,it is the main road between Calais and the Belguim border,it is a free road,dont get caught out near Lille heading to the ports on the day of a driving ban in France which is from Saturday 22.00 to Sunday 22,00,be carefull of the time it indicates on your tachograph,what with time differences.
Take contact numbers of the truck manufactures international breakdown service,and a list of tyre blowout companies that can assist 24/24,the police in Europe have powers to move you off a motorway at your expense,if the problem is not rectified within the time they have advised to you,a crane is thousands of euros to get towed off.Allways park in well lit truckstops,where there are many trucks,it is up to you if you want to leave the trailer doors open to show low value goods or when empty.Do not stop overnight near the ports in Northern France,above all Calais,as each illegal immigrant will cost you £2000.You can download a check list from the UK border agency to show you have taken steps to secure the trailer which may reduce the fine,ie seals,trailer TIR cord around the trailer,etc.Eat in the Rouitier restaurants,they offer good food,and showers,a 6 course meal will be about 10 to 12 euros,with wine and cheese.You may need to take blank CMRS for,and if not driven in the last 28 days,a activity attestation letter is required,if you were on holiday,ill,or absent from work.

To add,Germany and Belgium require the load to be restrained by ratchet straps,this mainly for heavy and bulky goods,for a fridge trailer you will need to have bars to restrain the goods at the rear of the trailer.The top of the goods have to be protected by rubber or whatever needed to prevent chaffing,check the ratchet straps to see how much weight they can hold,as the BAG,which is like the UK`s VOSA can fine you for this.You will need a letter from your employer to say that you have permission to drive the truck,and an employment contract is needed too.Take spare light bulbs for the unit and trailer,spare glasses if you wear them,for Spain,and two warning triangles,for Spain,one at each end of the broken down vehicle.A high Viz jacket is compulsory now ,in France and Spain,if standing at the side of the road,even for a wee too.Dont forget the phone charger too,and get some provisions in case of being stranded,or waiting at a factory for hours,a camping gaz cooker will suffice,tins of soups,noodles,canned curries,meat,spam,could save your life in sub zero temperatures.

Excellent advice their from Toby. A lot of good information & concisely put.

have a look through the stickys in this forum
ALSO ensure you have WINTER TYRES on
the drive axle plus SNOW CHAINS you need
to carry these by law now in many country’s,
carry some medicenes like aspirin, lem-slip
etc ,if you have any questions at all ASK

it is better to ask now then fall foul due to
Ignorance, many COUNTRY .s are hot about
speeding, over taking were it is forbidden
etc, take you time
less haste means more speed .
have a look also at this LINK
it will help you out as well

The Truck is in the Yard for servicing , So i have been busy trying to get as much stuff as i need,I have been getting as many winter woollens as possible
i got a mini chemical toilet and a small camping stove, Just baught a Garmin truck GPS , i baught a thermal sleeping bag and also im taking a duvet.

I am getting as much gear as i can take for safety , i have a CB Radio i dont know if it will be of use but i will take it all the same ,Torches,tools,etc im taking and how i managed to get a snow shovel in Malta astonishes me.

I have full intention to go slow and take my time i found the Digi unit instruction book in the truck so i will read that and try and teach myself how i use my card,(as its not used in Malta nobody showed my how the taco works)

As time knocks on im getting more and more nervous, thanks to you guys Guidance and advice its takes a little of the fear factor out of it.

Im taking a baseball Bat with me if i have immigrant or ■■■■■■■■■ problems.

I noticed the driver who had the truck before me used shackles on the inside of the doors to lock him self in (prob a good idea ) but stupid if a hasty exit from the truck.

G

Good luck chap, where are you heading?

I did my 1st run to Belgium this time last year when it was snowing heavily, you should take a couple of diesel cards in case one doesn’t work or not accepted. Take your time and enjoy it!

Good luck!

Brit in Malta:
The Truck is in the Yard for servicing , So i have been busy trying to get as much stuff as i need,I have been getting as many winter woollens as possible
i got a mini chemical toilet and a small camping stove, Just baught a Garmin truck GPS , i baught a thermal sleeping bag and also im taking a duvet.

I am getting as much gear as i can take for safety , i have a CB Radio i dont know if it will be of use but i will take it all the same ,Torches,tools,etc im taking and how i managed to get a snow shovel in Malta astonishes me.

I have full intention to go slow and take my time i found the Digi unit instruction book in the truck so i will read that and try and teach myself how i use my card,(as its not used in Malta nobody showed my how the taco works)

As time knocks on im getting more and more nervous, thanks to you guys Guidance and advice its takes a little of the fear factor out of it.

Im taking a baseball Bat with me if i have immigrant or [zb] problems.

I noticed the driver who had the truck before me used shackles on the inside of the doors to lock him self in (prob a good idea ) but stupid if a hasty exit from the truck.

G

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: where are you going the Kyber Pass… only jokeing mate :laughing: once you have done it you wont want to do anything else. As others have said if you are worried about anything just ask. Im not sure about the baseball bat it could be seen as a weapon by some, where as a hammer or meaty wrench is still only a tool of the job.
Have fun and let us know how you get on :sunglasses:

My skip the bat then i have a mighty pipe wrench that will do lol

sometimes being thrown in the deap end is the best way , jeeeeesh you dont arf learn quick doing it that way … :open_mouth:

A few pics of my Truck,

This must be your lot then…

famalco.net/fahren.html

Going by the blurb on the website you should be getting about abit!! :wink:

Good luck and enjoy it, stay legal, dont be pushed into “running bent” and as has already been said,if in doubt…ASK!!!

Not sure about the chemical toilet though!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing:

Yep thats the company, Whats wrong with a chemical bog i thaught it was a good idea saves be getting out of the cab if im caught short in the night lol
G

You better find some way of fixing that potty securely or you’ll have some cleaning up to do!

Ha ha that has crossed my mind lol,

Brit in Malta,you can buy CS gas in any French garage,as not illegal in France,they sell it in most truckstops too,it is illegal in the UK,classed as a weapon.Strapping the doors,maybe a bit iffy,in case of a fire,no time to get out.Enjoy the food in europe,pack a bike in the trailer,so not get so bored on a weekly rest period.
Foam ear plugs for noise,is good idea,for sleeping.

bullitt:
This must be your lot then…

famalco.net/fahren.html

Going by the blurb on the website you should be getting about abit!! :wink:

Good luck and enjoy it, stay legal, dont be pushed into “running bent” and as has already been said,if in doubt…ASK!!!

Looks like a jack of every trade, vehicle and machinery sales, to growers to transport and property sales. There are an awful lot of jobs advertised for an established company.

Fulani are West African sheep herders who are also known as Fula

whats your point?
who gives a ■■■■ its a full time job with very good wages.

Brit in Malta:
whats your point?
who gives a [zb] its a full time job with very good wages.

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing:

Attitude son, attitude!!! :wink:

You know, for someone who has come on here asking for advise, you could do well to listen to any that Mr Wheelnut may have been about to give. :wink:

And I still dont get the thing with the portable potty!!!.. :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Wheel Nut:
…Looks like a jack of every trade, vehicle and machinery sales, to growers to transport and property sales. There are an awful lot of jobs advertised for an established company.

Fulani are West African sheep herders who are also known as Fula

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You haveing abit of a “toby” moment there wheelnut■■? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: