"Improved mirrors to become mandatory for all HGVs"

Improved mirrors that eliminate HGV blind spots will become mandatory on newly registered vehicles from July next year across the EU.
The measure, championed by the UK government, was adopted following a vote earlier this month (16 December) by the European Commission.
For the first time it will be mandatory for all newly registered vehicles in the UK to meet the improved mirrors standard.
The new safety measure has been developed by the DfT and applies to HGVs (over 3.5 tonnes) where the Class V mirror is fitted at least 2.4m from the ground.
The new requirement is a larger plan area that the driver has to be able to see on the passenger side of the vehicle. This has been increased from the existing requirement of 2m to 4.5m from the side of the truck adjacent to the cab.
It is performance based, rather than prescribing particular mirrors, so a combination of Class VI (wide angle) and V (close proximity) mirrors is permissible to meet the requirement.
The DfT said the measure would boost cycle safety, adding that last year 115 cyclists were killed or seriously injured on UK roads in accidents involving at least one HGV.
Freight and logistics minister Andrew Jones said: “Safer lorries mean safer cyclists. As a result of our actions, Europe will now adopt these improved standards, which will save lives. As well as leading EU efforts to improve cycle safety, the government is investing in the UK, providing safer junctions, traffic-free cycle links and cycle training in schools.”
Christopher Snelling, head of national and regional policy at the FTA, said: “We’re happy with this as it’s exactly the sort of approach to safety we want.
This is how to make real gains – incremental improvements that are not disruptive to business.”
Snelling added that the improved mirrors should be rolled-out through HGV fleets quickly given the typical renewal cycle in the sector.

Should be interesting.

So we’re going to have even less visibility out of the side windows to provide mirrors so we can see people who are stupid enough to have deliberately placed themselves in a position of danger?

I’ve lost count of the number of heart attack moments I’ve had approaching roundabouts where a car already on it has been hidden by view by the drivers mirror as I’ve approached the give way line and I’ve set off just to find them appearing directly in front of me. The new MANs are particularly bad.

I don’t think it necessarily means bigger or more mirrors it is more about the adjustment and placement.

Of course Conor is right - in some cases visibility at junctions is impaired

To be fair I’d like a wider angled mirror on the passenger side, but not because of suicidal morons…
I’d like it so you can see WTF is coming up the road from the left on an oblique junction.
Sod the cyclists! :laughing:

Remember folks, truckers are always to blame for any accident…

It’s a bit unfair to say people deliberately put themselves in danger. Unfortunately quite a few do not realise they may be in a trucks blindspot.

As for as extra mirrors go they will only do any good if a driver bothers to check them.

shep532:
I don’t think it necessarily means bigger or more mirrors it is more about the adjustment and placement.

Of course Conor is right - in some cases visibility at junctions is impaired

Get one of those Freznil lenses you stick on the passenger window…Works a treat for that problem…

Evil8Beezle:
To be fair I’d like a wider angled mirror on the passenger side, but not because of suicidal morons…
I’d like it so you can see WTF is coming up the road from the left on an oblique junction.
Sod the cyclists! [emoji38]

albion1971:
Unfortunately quite a few do not realise they may be in a trucks blindspot.

Which basically translates to cyclists being educated.
Think I’ll have pork and cabbage for dinner! :grimacing:

Evil8Beezle:

albion1971:

Which basically translates to cyclists being educated.
Think I’ll have pork and cabbage for dinner! :grimacing:

Which them seem to actively resisting.

Some thing ought to be done about the tiny mirrors that are fitted to service buses they spend most of their time in urban areas.The coaches are better with their elephant ears type mirrors.

Radar19:
The DfT said the measure would boost cycle safety, adding that last year 115 cyclists were killed or seriously injured on UK roads in accidents involving at least one HGV.

So at least one HGV, how many aren’t they telling us occurred that didn’t involve HGV ?

Or did this ‘at least one HGV’ go round on a spree getting as many stupid lycra bellends it could?

Spend the money getting idiots road competent and not just the start in schools bit. It’s the adults who should be brought to road craft school and pay expensively for the privilege!

FFS another change the wrong community from the clueless government

How shall i see whats behind the Mirror :question:

Immigrant:
How shall i see whats behind the Mirror :question:

Get another mirror!

Evil8Beezle:

albion1971:

Which basically translates to cyclists being educated. Think I’ll have pork and cabbage for dinner! :grimacing:

that’ll be said cyclist :grimacing: straight outta tread of super singles :sunglasses:

albion1971:
As for as extra mirrors go they will only do any good if a driver bothers to check them.

That’s a fair point as far as it goes, but once you look away from those mirrors to look at the front or the offside mirrors, by the time you look back at the nearside mirrors what has happened that you don’t know about? It’s just not physically possible to look at both sets of mirrors and through the windscreen at the same time. Something will be missed and at that point any accident is possible.

Be on the ball and check to your best ability is all that is possible. Unfortunately some drivers do not do this though.

As mentioned by Conor above, MAN’s now have the worse wardrobe door mirrors out there since Volvo have (10 years late) finally sorted their own version of wardrobe door mirrors out on the latest model, good as actual mirrors but sitting in that massive case with no gap in the middle i’ve lost flippin Transit vans let alone push bikes.

What amazes me when i get in some vehicles is how anyone drives them at all without leaving a trail of destruction in their wake, main mirrors set to spot passing owls, wide angle mirrors giving an excellent view of the side and top of the trailer, jolly useful that for, well, nothing really, nearside down mirror a fine upside down reading of the door signwriting and the front down mirror a prime display of windscreen, might as well take em all off and chuck em in the bin for all the use they are set like that…oh and usually filthy dirty to boot just like the inside and outside of the windows, visibility overall bloody awful.

Yes Juddian you are not wrong. It really is a problem that some do not have any idea how mirrors should be set or just jump in a vehicle that the mirrors have been set to a driver 2 feet smaller etc and drive off. :unamused:

alamcculloch:
Some thing ought to be done about the tiny mirrors that are fitted to service buses they spend most of their time in urban areas.The coaches are better with their elephant ears type mirrors.

When was the last time you saw a bus reversing?

Juddian:
What amazes me when i get in some vehicles is how anyone drives them at all without leaving a trail of destruction in their wake, main mirrors set to spot passing owls, wide angle mirrors giving an excellent view of the side and top of the trailer, .

About 7 yrs ago I applied for a job with a container haulier in Felixstowe, as part off the application process I had to have an assessment drive at a local(Ipswich) based HGV driving school. So I roll up on the Saturday morning, hopped in the seat, then hopped straight back out to adjust both n/s and o/s main mirrors, the instructor was protesting, he claimed that I needed to see the top the trailer so I could see if it was going to hit any obstructions. I pointed out that it was too bloody late to see any obstruction about to hit the trailer, if it was in My mirrors, and that it was My assessment drive, and if he wanted to mark Me down for requiring the visibility that I was happy with then so be it. After this initial hic up things went better :wink: