Impossible planning. How to deal with it

Without details on job, here’s todays job plan…

Start 10:45.
Leave depot - Oldham area 11:20
Trailer swap in Appleton Thorn - leaving at 12:00
Trailer swap at depot - leaving at 13:10
Load Bradford - leaving at 14:30
Trailer swap at depot - leaving at 16:13
Trailer swap Bradford - leaving at 17:38
Finish at depot - 18:58

Now, I’ve just had a phone call telling me off for stopping on the way to the Bradford 14:30 collection, I stopped for 18 mins at Hartshead Moor Services for a ■■■■ and picked some food up.
I arrived at Bradford 14:30 at 15:15 - 45 mins late.
Now, ok, I stopped for 18 mins, but if I’m 45 mins late, surely the times need looking at. Also, that 45 mins late, is 45 mins past my DEPARTURE time - and they’re allowed 30 mins to load, so I’m actually 1hr 15mins late.

And then they wonder why I’ve told them that I’m not working the rest of the week and probably won’t be bothering coming back at all.

They don’t want us to stop with a loaded trailer, they deduct us 45 mins a day for lunch, then they complain if you stop :open_mouth:

Cake and ■■■■■■■ eat it guys.

Wayne, if those times are written by a planner, then i would take it into him, and ask why he had planned those times, and that you were in fact a lot later because of his planning.
Then i would point out that as they stop 45 minutes money, you are entitled to a 45 minute break, and stopping was part of that 45.
Next i would ask them to provide in writing, a letter stating that drivers are not allowed to stop, with a loaded trailer, for a toilet break, you know you wont get one, for under the human rights act, you are allowed one.
Next time they give you a start time, either ignore it and start earlier, or ask for the running sheet first.
Dont punish yourself, or lose money because of some knobhead planner, and you may quote me on that :laughing:

When I set out on a trip I switch to ‘Ted Time’ and I get there when I arrive; not a second sooner or later. I don’t hang around or extract the urine but the job takes as long as the job takes. If that’s not good enough then they’d best give Super-Trucker a call.

There are two types of drivers out there; The Gottabe’s and The Wanttobes

The difference; one’s got to be somewhere at a certain time the other wants to be there at a certain time. It’s a subtle difference in mind set but much more relaxing to be in the second set.

agency job?

waynedl:
, they deduct us 45 mins a day for lunch, then they complain if you stop :open_mouth:

Cake and [zb] eat it guys.

Hardfaced they are. Should of just asked them at the start…“what time do you want me to go on my dinner?” :smiley:

Well I don’t hang around but I don’t chase the impossible…was once planned to tip Middlesbrough at 9.30 and reload at Stockton and that load was due in Liverpool at 11.30am and the office rang to ask a reason why I was late because this customer has to be delivered on time. The route was never going to run on time but some drivers didn’t even have a break to get loads to places so they ran illegal then got an hours pay stopped as they take an hour a day off you.
Honestly some offices are a joke,I generally get on well with the office and do what I’m asked but sometimes I despair

Times are legally no more than a guideline.
In law the driver’s decision is final (as long as deemed to be reasonable).
Take no notice and remind them that under ROSPA. IAM and FTA etc guidelines we should all take a break after no more than 2/2:5hrs driving.
Mainly though just take no notice they cannot take any action against you or even try tellingyou off. Anything that may give you incentive to speed, exceed hours etc etc is illegal!!
33yrs on the rd and never bothered about times yet and never had any problems.
If anyone tries to challenge you just smile and walk away.

Best thing to do is scribble out times and load targets. We have our work set out shopping list style and beside it, the number of loads the office believe is possible. Doing the speed limit I’ve actually “dropped” upto 3 loads in a day before. I don’t ring up and make excuses, I just plough on, do what I can and sod the rest. I’m tracked so they can see I’m not dossing.

STOBRATS■■? :grimacing: :grimacing: you went wrong as soon as you mentioned PLANNING! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

I like how so many on here think like I do.

I’ve been around, worked for quite a few firms and dealt with deadlines and times in the past.

Todays was more about the attitude of the woman on the phone telling me that I wasn’t due or ENTITLED to a break at that time :open_mouth:

When I got back in the office I asked who it was who wanted to speak to me, this woman came over with loads of printouts so I suggested speaking in private.
She started putting her point across when I stopped her and pointed out that I was already going to be late for the job, had already informed them I was going to be late for the job and only stopped for 18 mins but was over an hour late for the job.
Then she started to tell me again that there was no need for me to stop for a break at which point I told her that I decide if I need to stop for a break. She then told me to “go away, she’s not talking to me anymore” at which point I’ll admit I lost it a bit, had it been a bloke he’d have been looking at the ceiling, as it was a woman I just started glowing red and having some steam coming out of my ears whilst looking for something to destroy.
At which point a manager came to discuss it with me, took my point of view and agreed 100% and told me to go home and calm down…

I’m now at home, trying to chill out a bit and decide whether I’m going back or not, because I just can’t be doing with that sort of crap.
Yes, I admit times can be important, but if they’re planned so that you’re going to be late, then I didn’t think it was that important - also they were notified that I was going to be late.

I’m not working tomorrow or Friday now, so the next time they want me in is Sunday, so that gives me 2 days to decide whether I’m going back, and if not 2 days to find a new job.

waynedl:
Now, I’ve just had a phone call telling me off for stopping on the way to the Bradford 14:30 collection, I stopped for 18 mins at Hartshead Moor Services for a ■■■■ and picked some food up.

One of the many reasons I put up with running my own truck. :wink:

When I was on palletways they would say you need to do all your timed first , yeah okay no probs , load up my own way and get there when I get there lol foolk em ,

I have found that the majority of planners could not find their own backsides with both hands, let alone climb into a truck & deliver a load. I have no idea where they get their timings from, probably written down years ago. I always tell them I will get their when I get there, if they make silly times up to impress delivery addresses that’s their fault, if you don’t like it then feel free to ask me to move on.
As for females they get the same as any males that try to annoy me, they wanted equality, they get equality from me.
Life’s too short to get that stressed in a driving job.

I’m never late for a drop. The load sometimes is thought!!!

Means I get there as soon as I can it’s not like we’re carrying harts and lungs about is it
Just chill don’t take the pee get there when you can

i would go even slower , just to stuff the day up even more

Drivers are their own worst enemy; They’ll whinge they’re being pushed and then drive like an idiot to make the silly o’clock deadline.

I would tell the snotty cow if she told me I never needed a break wasn’t due one that in future I will stick to her regime yet if I feel the need so ■■■■ and ■■■■ before she deems it necessary to have a break it will be left behind the drivers seat and if I was to fall asleep at the wheel and cause carnage I would expect to be represented by there top lawyer at there expense. If you want a quicker argument just tell them to ■■■■ off.

If I have times that are achievable I will get there on time but iv also worked with drivers that have had good time to get to a drop and messed about on the way to deliberately make the load late…and then iv worked with the drivers who break their neck to get there when it’s impossible,

don’t be doing as they tell you.
you start at your given start time and you go with the flow.
if your late your late who gives a ■■■■.
just to make you feel a bit better I had a 9am delivery in Huntington this morning followed by a 8am collection in beeston which was booked in at 11am in norwich. and did I batter an eye lid? did I hell as like. it got there when I was good and ready.

I’ve had a phone call - with an apology and an assurance that this won’t happen again and it is being looked into.

I’ve had start times for tomorrow, Friday and Sunday - to which I replied I will not be working tomorrow and will ring them tomorrow to let them know if I’m interested in working for them after that.

Times don’t bother me, achievable or not don’t bother me, if I’m going to be late for whatever reason I’ll always notify the company.
I would not normally stop on the way to a delivery or collection unless my tacho / wtd dictated I needed to stop, but as I said, I thought it best to stop for 15 mins on the way to this place whilst I had an empty trailer to reset my 6hr rule (which otherwise would’ve run out between collection and my depot).
I did not know what I’d be doing at this firm, whether it was a trailer swap or a live load etc - turned out it was a live load and I’d have been fine getting there and banging it on break.

HOWEVER, the load only took just over 30 mins and another truck waiting to go in, so with the 15 mins I had it had reset my drive time, which when I got to Shaw and 1 of the roads was closed by police and the place was carnage came in damned handy - otherwise I’d have run over the 4.5hrs drive time and had an infringement.