Imperial Measurements Still on Traffic Signs

Presumably it would cost an absolute fortune to change all of the signage from imperial to metric especially during this period of austerity. Almost 50 years on and nobody seems any closer to a solution.
Are there any other countries in the world in the same situation?
Are there any plans to put this right?

If there are any drivers born after say 1965 and without checking would they have a stab at this:

How many yards are there in a mile?

Cheers.
global.

1,760!!

Councils should be locked up for failing to convert road signs from imperial to metric.I do remember a great ‘hoohaa’ over traders who refused to convert and did some actually end up getting imprisoned,I think they did.Not that I could give a toss either way but would derv/petrol be the price it is today if the actual price was stated in imperial…could be £6/7/2d a gallon,might just have gotten the public to waken up.

we won the war. The Germans should learn feet and inches. :smiley:
Ireland has been metric for a long time, Speed limits have been in kph since 2005.
but you will still find the odd bridge in imperial without a metric conversion in the sticks.

When are they going to start driving on the right or will it be a phased-in process, lorries first? (Thanks to 2 Ronnies c. 1975).

Who is going to own up to telling the East European driver parked in the services here in the UK that the UK had changed over from left to right and he should leave the service area the way he came in,expect they also told him we had shelved drink/driving laws.

Man went to the moon in feet and inches. A Bike chain is half inch between the rivits and is so the world over even in France. Most car wheels are measured in inches again all over the world. Why should the UK become the only country in the world that goes completely metric?

The metric martyrs, I remember those, mackems as I recall. Funny nobody ever bothered about pints, half pints etc as opposed to half litres in the booze market.

global:
Presumably it would cost an absolute fortune to change all of the signage from imperial to metric especially during this period of austerity. Almost 50 years on and nobody seems any closer to a solution.
Are there any other countries in the world in the same situation?
Are there any plans to put this right?

If there are any drivers born after say 1965 and without checking would they have a stab at this:

Cheers.
global.

1,760, and if you don’t like it why not **** off and live somewhere else?
Bernard

Slackbladder:
The metric martyrs, I remember those, mackems as I recall. Funny nobody ever bothered about pints, half pints etc as opposed to half litres in the booze market.

IIRC that Steve ( Market trader ) died, after fighting Brussels for years and he won! R.I.P for HAVING THE BALLS TO STAND UPTO THEM! :unamused: :bulb: :question: :exclamation: :smiling_imp: Unelected European pieces of BULLCARP :grimacing: :grimacing:

Never heard he had passed, or won anything. Funny how that is never reported, not such a good story I suppose. We could do with someone like him going to the Eurocrats in charge of driving rules to get them simplified.

global:
Cheers.
global.

Scrap yards ? or builders yards ? :question:

8 furlongs = 1,760 yds … or, however many chains

IIRC its 80 chains in a mile…
or 10 in a furlong

I stand to be corrected

:unamused: 10 chains = 1 furlong
1 furlong = 1/8th mile
so to my calc` thats 80 chains - or / 8 furlongs or 320 rods,
I think , thats as good as a mile or 3 and a bit :grimacing:
might be easier to drive there :laughing: :laughing:

you are indeed correct that man :wink:

trux:
:roll: 10 chains = 1 furlong
1 furlong = 1/8th mile
so to my calc` thats 80 chains - or / 8 furlongs or 320 rods,
I think , thats as good as a mile or 3 and a bit :grimacing:
might be easier to drive there :laughing: :laughing:

you are indeed correct that man :wink:

Or 5 furlongs = 1 km .But it takes less space and it’s quicker to read the two figures needed to write 62-99 miles than the three figures needed for the same distance in kms and they can keep kgcm2 and Newton Metres too when it’s a lot easier to check tyre pressures in psi and understand lbs/ft. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Who cares about chains and furlongs (I know the railways use/did use them)? Do you work out how many shillings, groats and farthings you earn? I still get people asking if we load material in yards (no it’s a gravel pit, not a bloody carpet shop!) and people who ask for 3/4 gravel; It’s been 20mm aslong as I can remember for Christs sake.
Kilometres are easy to understand too, they tend to be on your speedo. And that handle thing is for checking your wheelnuts. It’s not to start the engine.

Where I worked we had to measure the Irish bound goods in cms before loading them. ie. - (120x100x180). I quite often came across fairly young guys who said that they preferred inches to cms - even though they had only ever used metric at school.

Now I don’t like those things with a leg in each corner, instead of wheels, with a snooty perched on top, but I’m sure there are many who like to lay the odd bet and can visualise a furlong quite easily.

By now most of us mix and match to suit what one can relate to ie what it looks like or feels like to lift etc. For me it’s millimetres up to about an inch, it’s inches up to a foot,and imperial up to about 60 feet - the length of a lorry and trailer. A bridge 4.2 metres high or whatever means not a lot, but 14ft six will be about the height of a double decker bus. I can see in my mind what a pound of jam will look like or how heavy it will feel, as easily as five litres of engine oil. But ask what 454 grammes is like to lift and I’ll have to think hard. It’s a pint in the pub and I’ll judge 30mph etc hopefully, but not forty however many kph.

And as for metric time on the clock machine…

chris140472:
Man went to the moon in feet and inches. A Bike chain is half inch between the rivits and is so the world over even in France. Most car wheels are measured in inches again all over the world. Why should the UK become the only country in the world that goes completely metric?

That is correct, and if you tell the Dutch docker you have brought an empty 6 metre container in, he will tell you to park over there near the twenty foots :stuck_out_tongue:

German Tanker drivers use 3’’ pipes and the fittings are 2.5’’ or Drei Zoll

Tyres as mentioned are measured in metric and imperial together to confuse the yanks who use a different sized inch to us :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t forget we still sell horses by the hand which is a third of a foot :stuck_out_tongue:

And you never hear of anyone hitting the wife with a lump of 38 x 89mm :laughing: