Imperial Measurements Still on Traffic Signs

■■■■■ are still measured in inches.
…Or by the number of dreamcatchers they have.

Wheel Nut:
Tyres as mentioned are measured in metric and imperial together to confuse the yanks who use a different sized inch to us :stuck_out_tongue:

Which (at least two different measurements for the same value (U.S. vs Imperial gallons etc.)) means that the old system was open to confusion within itself let alone the NASA mixing units method:- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter. We’ll get used to this decimalisation once all the old people have died off, but yeah, I think it’s easier to mix units, e.g. low temps in degrees Celsius and warmer in Fahrenheit. When Americans say it’s down to 20 in the panhandle/bleachers or whatever they say, I have to rethink “that’s NOT very comfortable”!

To answer the OP, Is it going to be put right?..It IS right.
When we went decimal with the currency we were inundated with adverts on the telly and in the press. Every household in the kingdom had a leaflet through the door explaining it all. It was called Decimal Day, or D Day.
This was to decimalise the currency. Nobody has ever told me that the measurement of distance has been changed.
The unit of distance was introduced by europeans namely Romans centuries ago…the Mile.
Distance has never been changed officially. If it had been you`d have thought they would have informed us.

Ask anyone their height and see what they say. Police don`t go looking for robbers who are described as 1.67 meters tall.

I do agree its a shambles though, but thats because we`ve allowed it to be so.

With all this metric talk here, has any thought about converting the length of the Derby, 2000 guineas, or the Grand National etc ?

suffolk gold:
With all this metric talk here, has any thought about converting the length of the Derby, 2000 guineas, or the Grand National etc ?

What about Indianapolis, are we supposed to call it the .09144 brick area?

The topsail will have sailors dressing the metres.

limeyphil:
we won the war. The Germans should learn feet and inches. :smiley:

Let me kindly remind you, that you didnt won the war on your own, you know. And most of the soldiers who fought on your side were using civilised units of measure :stuck_out_tongue:

As for the main topic: I have nothing against, but why on earth they don’t stick to one?

Why I have feets and inches in my cab and there is metres on the cannopy in the garage?

Why Scania has tachometer set in kms, I fill it with fuel by the litre and then it shows me mpg?

Etc etc etc.

As for other non-fully metric countries: I just came back from Europe, i bought windscreen wipers in cm in Poland, I saw tv screens in cms in Czech Republic, I never heard about any inches in my bicycle when living in Poland and I think wheels will soon be also in cms…

orys:
Let me kindly remind you, that you didnt won the war on your own, you know. And most of the soldiers who fought on your side were using civilised units of measure :stuck_out_tongue:

The Americans come and won the war for us, they didn’t use metric.

orys:
As for the main topic: I have nothing against, but why on earth they don’t stick to one?

Why I have feets and inches in my cab and there is metres on the cannopy in the garage?

You should take this up with your employer,

orys:
Why Scania has tachometer set in kms, I fill it with fuel by the litre and then it shows me mpg?

Maybe a Euro company like Scania think there is some ‘mileage’ in using this terminology !!!

orys:
Etc etc etc.

As for other non-fully metric countries: I just came back from Europe, i bought windscreen wipers in cm in Poland, I saw tv screens in cms in Czech Republic, I never heard about any inches in my bicycle when living in Poland and I think wheels will soon be also in cms…

Maybe, but up till now we still have 13", 14" and 15" rims on cars, I understand that,

Mike-C:

orys:

The Americans come and won the war for us, they didn’t use metric

Yeah, they won the war for you… Other nations had to fight for themselves :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously though, what about such meaningless army forces like Soviet Army, Polish Armed Forces in the West, Anders Army, Berling Army and many, many others from several nations that use metric system? :slight_smile:

You should take this up with your employer,

MY employer do not owe these garages…

orys:

Maybe a Euro company like Scania think there is some ‘mileage’ in using this terminology !!!
[/quote]
In other countries, it shows fuel consumptions in l/100 km.

Maybe, but up till now we still have 13", 14" and 15" rims on cars, I understand that,

If they will be 40 cm rims you will have troubles with understanding? :slight_smile:

I think they should just get on with it and finish the job off.

Having been taught metric at school since 1979, I despair now in 2012 when my nephews and niece talk in feet and inches about their height and stones and pounds for weight. I blame the parents.

I do think of fuel consumption in l/100km as everything but a pint of beer is metric here.

Last year at work we had a MPG target, I managed to get that changed to l/100km as I drive in to km/h speed limits, cover distances in kilometres, I fill in litres and trip computer doesn’t like to change over units on the move, so if they want me to keep to a target, at least give me one my dashboard can show me when I’m driving along.

I don’t mind using Imperial measurements when required. What really gets my goat though is mixing of Imperial / metric units.

Ever looked at a tyre? Its a bizare mixture !
EG; 195/70R15 = rim width 195mm, tyre height is 70% of width, wheel diameter is 15"

triple-tango:
EG; 195/70R15 = rim width 195mm, tyre height is 70% of width, wheel diameter is 15"

You want to try and work out cycle or agricultural tractor tyre sizes :stuck_out_tongue:

orys:

[/quote]
[/quote]
Thinking about this i’m sure they have an option to switch over to one or the other?

triple-tango:

Yes the majority of motor vehicle tyres are quoted in inches diameter, the exception being the odd completely metric one (sneaked in by the likes of Michelin every now and then :laughing: ).

Wheel Nut:
You want to try and work out cycle or agricultural tractor tyre sizes :stuck_out_tongue:

Bicycle tyres are complete mix of madness over the years (but at least there is usually an ISO/E.T.R.T.O. size in metric to go on)

Mike-C:
Thinking about this i’m sure they have an option to switch over to one or the other?

Correct Mike, most do, as do some cars. I only have one set of numbers on my speedo and a couple of button pushes decides whether they are kmh or mph. :laughing:

Mike-C:

orys:

[/quote]
[/quote]
Can you not change it under settings like on Dafs?

I can flip between Imperial and metric (but not mixed units) on the Axor, but it won’t let it be done whilst the vehicle is in motion.

Good old orys, always bringing us down to earth with a bit of healthy, cold rationality after a not so jingoistic comment from limeyphil, and then being relatively modest about his compatriots’ contributions during the war. :wink: The Nazis (and most Germans were happy to go along) wanted to impose everything hunnish on everyone they didn’t want to annihilate and we would’ve gone metric a long time ago had they won. We’re just conforming to “their” standards willingly, albeit still somewhat reluctantly. Metric is, however unfortunate, the way to go, dudes. Paging Happy Keith!

To the OP.

Newborn babies, womens’ ■■■■■, mens dicks, glasses of draught beer, cricket pitches and depth of graves in the UK are all still measured in Imperial units,either formally or colloquially, and I suspect will be for more years than we care to count.

Raiway permanent way engineers still work out the radius of a curve in chains.

A friend of mine in the aviation industry tells me that since American aircraft still use a good deal of Imperial units, including fasteners, new apprentices have to be taught how to work in them.

This is a mixed country. We work and think in mixed units. You’re a “professional” driver. Deal with it.

On my weekly time sheet I have to put the start and finish “milage” every day. So to wind him up I sit there convert the k’s to miles and put that on the sheet. Got an earful for putting the wrong mileage in. Until I pointed out he wanted the mileage not the kilometerage. Cue puzzled expression on his face.

Snudger:
Good old orys, always bringing us down to earth with a bit of healthy, cold rationality after a not so jingoistic comment from limeyphil, and then being relatively modest about his compatriots’ contributions during the war. :wink:

Oh, I just have to provide counterbalance to anglocentric posts of the preceding forum user :slight_smile: I don’t know if you noticed, he even seems to think that “mileage” is the same in other languages (I mean, he seems to think that in other languages the world for the distance covered by the vehicle also refers to miles). And I had to mention my compatriots with the great focus on it - its needes, since he is even able to miss the Soviet Union involvement in the war, it really needs to be stressed that smaller countries also provided significant input :slight_smile:

The Nazis (and most Germans were happy to go along) wanted to impose everything hunnish on everyone they didn’t want to annihilate and we would’ve gone metric a long time ago had they won.

My point was that Stalin and his folks has also something to say about winning the war over Germans… And they were using metric units…

And if we speak about history, Americans were supporting the Soviets, but I don’t think Hitler would be able to win over the Soviet Union anyway… And then if americans would not get involved, you would use metric system and speak German, and we would use metric system and speak either German or Russian, depends how far west Stalin would push the Hitler back… :slight_smile: