Images of hauling to and from ports?

Anyone have any interesting images of hauling to and from ports?

Talking off the ropes at Gravesend Dock 1980, 18’6’’ high

Harwich Dock overspill compound with an FL12 450

Circa 72/73,two Bewick Atkinson Borderers and 40 footers waiting on 46 berth Tilbury to pull alongside and load 40 ton of Woodpulp directly of one of the American Star ships.IIRC the ship had struggled in heavy weather across the Atlantic and the Mill were desperate for that particular Pulp so it was organised that they would load it straight over the ships rail and do a quick customs clearance ! Cheers Bewick.

This was taken at Tyne Dock South Shields, 1975/6ish, Loading Ex ship with Manganeze Orr from South Africa I think for delivery to the Ever Ready Battery Factory at Tanfield Lea , The job lasted for over a week, Very dense heavey stuff, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
0This was taken at Tyne Dock South Shields, 1975/6ish, Loading Ex ship with Manganeze Orr from South Africa I think for delivery to the Ever Ready Battery Factory at Tanfield Lea , The job lasted for over a week, Very dense heavey stuff, Regards Larry.

Was it “dodgy” to tip Larry or did it run out OK,Cheers Dennis.

Lawrence Dunbar:
0This was taken at Tyne Dock South Shields, 1975/6ish, Loading Ex ship with Manganeze Orr from South Africa I think for delivery to the Ever Ready Battery Factory at Tanfield Lea , The job lasted for over a week, Very dense heavey stuff, Regards Larry.

Larry, I loved the S36 that I drove for the family, LX150, 12speed, all over the UK and Europe, never ever let me down, and I was always proud of her!!

Looks like you have a bit of weight over the pin , on that picture, but a very smart outfit indeed. Cheerio for now.

It came out very quick in fact the body only had to be half way up and it certainley cleaned the alloy floor, Regards Larry.

Saviem:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Larry, I loved the S36 that I drove for the family, LX150, 12speed, all over the UK and Europe, never ever let me down, and I was always proud of her!!

Looks like you have a bit of weight over the pin , on that picture, but a very smart outfit indeed. Cheerio for now.

Aye you are correct, Its a good job you werent on fot the WAMS, In those days it was very easy to be overloaded with this stuff because when you looked into the body 22 tonnes was only 18 inches up off the floor, needless to say I was grossley overloaded with my first load at 48,400, Gross, Mind you the old Foden coped very well & never missed a beat, But my knuckles were white a few times going downhill, Happy Days, Regards Larry.

BMC Mastiff loading a 20ft Meri container direct off ship from Finland.

I worked as a fitter in a Manganese mine in Western Australia and yep it’s heavy and very abrasive.

It weighs four tonne a cubic metre as opposed to dry sand which is a tonne a metre.

So you don’t need much to get up to maximum weight.

Bewick:
Circa 72/73,two Bewick Atkinson Borderers and 40 footers waiting on 46 berth Tilbury to pull alongside and load 40 ton of Woodpulp directly of one of the American Star ships.IIRC the ship had struggled in heavy weather across the Atlantic and the Mill were desperate for that particular Pulp so it was organised that they would load it straight over the ships rail and do a quick customs clearance ! Cheers Bewick.

A very evocative picture that Dennis…conjures up the era very nicely.

David :smiley:

5thwheel:

Bewick:

I downsized it to see the full pic.

Loading bulk magnatite orr Tyne Commision Quay North Shields.

5thwheel:

Bewick:

Probably circa 5 or 6 years later this shot of a Bewick 8LXB Sed Atk shortly after loading Pulp on either 44 or 46 berth Tilbury.Plus the 20 empty pallets from wherever in the S.East it’s southbound delivery had been made.

Loading Silver Sand North Shields for delivery to the Thermal Syndicate Factory Wallsend, Regards Larry.

[/quote]
Probably circa 5 or 6 years later this shot of a Bewick 8LXB Sed Atk shortly after loading Pulp on either 44 or 46 berth Tilbury.Plus the 20 empty pallets from wherever in the S.East it’s southbound delivery had been made.
[/quote]
Dennis,
Where’s Colin hiding.
Cheers Malc.

malc step:

[/quote]
Dennis,
Where’s Colin hiding.
Cheers Malc.
[/quote]
Aye! you thought it was me that was driving the Sed/Atk didn’t you Malc ! My driving days had finished by this time,■■■■ and David were trying to persuade me to takeover at Ingleton and sort a few a “dead legs” out !!! Only joking mate ! Anyway,is this the shot your looking for ? Incidentally,it was me driving the second Atki on the previous post,Derek Chambers was on the front one which was,more-or-less,new at the time I took the shot.Cheers Dennis.

This is a shot of OJM 480L standing at Beetham Mill in December 1972 on it’s return from it’s first round trip to the S/east,it is coupled to the new York SL 34 36’ft trailer that was new at the same time,this trailer was manufactured to the(then) recently altered axle spread regs which gave the tandems another half ton gross weight by increasing the axle weights to 9:25 tons each IIRC.It has a mixed load of woodpulp,the front bales will have been the balance of a previous shipment and the rear bales are some lighter weight pulp from the James River on the East coast of America.The heavier grades needed only 88 bales for 20ton but the lighter ones ran out at 104 bales for 20ton.

Royal Portbury

nov 04 019.jpg